Sign in with
Your question

GTX 460 Bad AA in game

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 19, 2013 3:25:45 PM

I recently picked up that my gtx 460 is giving me very bad AA in some games. In black ops 2 multiplayer i have 2xmsaa enabled but the rails and the wires looks ver bad. Also it has this flicker effect if i move when looking at it. Far cry 3 is also giving the same effect. I fell like putting everthing on low and putting AA on 16x.
Could this be my gtx 460 dying because the performance is the same and the card never crashed or gave dips in performance. But the image Quality is very bad.

More about : gtx 460 bad game

a b U Graphics card
January 19, 2013 3:30:27 PM

I doubt the card is dying. There must be some control that is "off." What resolution are you playing at? What settings are you playing at specifically? Is it the 768 or 1GB model?
m
l
January 19, 2013 3:41:16 PM

its the 1g Model and playing at 1920x1080.
m
l
Related resources
January 19, 2013 3:46:35 PM

Honestly man I have the same issues with my GTX 560 SE which is in fact a re branded GTX 460 SE with a few efficiency improvements and I am experiencing the same issue. Same goes for the GTX 570 and GTX 275 and every other nvidia GPU I have owned. Short end of it is that if you want the best IQ then go AMD Radeon as they have top notch AA quality that actually works in any game when forced through Catalyst CP and not just select games through drivers like nvidia.
m
l
January 19, 2013 3:53:29 PM

Ok cool. I started looking at new Gpu because of this issue. Maybe i will go for the hd 7950. Or gtx 660 ti.
m
l
January 19, 2013 3:55:51 PM

torres said:
Ok cool. I started looking at new Gpu because of this issue. Maybe i will go for the hd 7950. Or gtx 660 ti.

I noticed the same issue on the nvidia 670 so I would stay away from nvidia if the "Jaggies" bother you. Also the only game I own that looked great as far as AA goes is Skyrim after a driver patch from nvidia enabled 8x Super Sample to be applied in CP and it works and looks great unfortunately it's the only game I own that does as all others do absolutely squat when Super SAample is forced in CP.
m
l
January 19, 2013 4:40:51 PM

Ok thanks for the advice. Will look to buy the hd 7950
m
l
January 19, 2013 4:43:43 PM

torres said:
Ok thanks for the advice. Will look to buy the hd 7950

Also AMD cards have better color separation and accuracy.
m
l
Anonymous
a c 117 U Graphics card
January 19, 2013 4:51:18 PM

Tom Burnqest said:

:lol: 

now that is TOTAL bullcrap!

along with most all of what you posted . . .
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 19, 2013 5:30:19 PM

I have Black Ops and FC3 and the only issues I have ever seen are low quality textures in Black Ops, but that is the games fault. I use both companies gpus for various things from Radeon and FireGL to Quadro and GeForce. I have never seen an actual visual difference in anything I have done (outside of 3D modeling software).

Gpus I own at this time:Quadro 2000, FirePro v5900, 570GTX, 460GTX and I recently sold a 7850.
m
l
January 19, 2013 6:33:32 PM

Anonymous said:
:lol: 

now that is TOTAL bullcrap!

along with most all of what you posted . . .

I would safely bet you have never owned an AMD card. I would also safely bet you are bleeding green.
m
l
Anonymous
a c 117 U Graphics card
January 20, 2013 12:10:07 AM

Tom Burnqest said:
I would safely bet you have never owned an AMD card. I would also safely bet you are bleeding green.

you would be losing on both bets.

however, that has nothing to do with the complete FUD and misinformation you posted.

firstly, the 560SE is not a rebadge of the the 460SE. they have difference gpus; the GF104 in the 460 SE has 228 cuda cores, 56 texture, 32 raster units and a 256 mem bus, whereas the GF114 in the 560 SE has 288 cuda cores which also has 48 texture, 24 rater units and 192 mem bus. the 560 SE being the last 500 series that nvidia would not be a rebadge since rebadges are the first cards released. the 560 SE is simply the left over, failed Q&A 114 gpus for the 560 to clear out inventory and were priced to compete with the 7770/7850 market since the 650ti had yet to be released.

also if you did own any previous nvidia cards there would be not a lack IQ on gaming due to AA which would be from having a more limited bus bandwidth since the 2xx, 4xx and 5xx series of nvidia cards have just as wide, if not wider in the higher end cards, as ATI/AMD at the time and also presently. i sit here with a GTX 570 @ 885/2000 that competes close to the performance of a 7870 @ stock speeds in many games with the same settings. along with not being able to increase the clock speed, because fermi is big, power hungry and hot, is the same problem the OP has with having under 2Gb of Vram.

FC3 with even lowered settings will use over 1Gb of Vram. i don't have much of a problem with 1.2Gbs and knowing how to tweak settings in nvidia inspector and not the CP, but the OP having just 1Gb is the difference. since you have all those nvidia cards; 275, 460SE, 560SE and the 570 maybe you can try learning how to tweak those drivers, eh? because if you're having problems running anything with a 670; its not the cards fault.

so any 650ti/7850 2Gb card or higher would have helped the OP. to state that their is a difference in AA quality between two different cards, since AA is AA no matter what card you have, is wrong and definitely smells of FUD. what is really laughable is AMD was shown earlier last year when the 7xxx series card were release to have worse IQ than nvidia because the drivers hadn't matured. but didn't have a damn thing to do with hardware . .

m
l
January 20, 2013 12:24:19 AM

Anonymous said:

firstly, the is not a rebadge of the the they have difference gpus; the GF104 in the 460 SE has 228 cuda cores, 56 texture, 32 raster units and a 256 mem bus, whereas the GF114 in the 560 SE has 288 cuda cores which also has 48 texture, 24 rater units and 192 mem bus. the 560 SE being the last 500 series that nvidia would not be a rebadge since rebadges are the first cards released. the 560 SE is simply the left over, failed Q&A 114 gpus for the 560 to clear out inventory and were priced to compete with the 7770/7850 market since the 650ti had yet to be released.

GTX 560 SE is a cut down version of the GTX 560 non ti which is a re branded "Functionally Identical GTX 460" .. Excuse me but you overstepped your limited boundary of knowledge in order to attempt to do a crap job of trolling.

Anonymous said:
also if you did own any previous nvidia cards there would be not a lack IQ on gaming due to AA which would be from having a more limited bus bandwidth since the 2xx, 4xx and 5xx series of nvidia cards have just as wide, if not wider in the higher end cards, as ATI/AMD at the time and also presently.

Actually Bus width has nothing to do with AA quality as the GTX 275 has 448bit memory bus and it's AA performance and quality is atrocious even more so that the crippled bus width of the GTX 560 SE of 192bit.

m
l
Anonymous
a c 117 U Graphics card
January 20, 2013 2:25:15 AM

Tom Burnqest said:
GTX 560 SE is a cut down version of the GTX 560 non ti which is a re branded "Functionally Identical GTX 460" .. Excuse me but you overstepped your limited boundary of knowledge in order to attempt to do a crap job of trolling.

Actually Bus width has nothing to do with AA quality as the GTX 275 has 448bit memory bus and it's AA performance and quality is atrocious even more so that the crippled bus width of the GTX 560 SE of 192bit.

a rebadge is when the same gpu is used and backing up by calling it "Functionally Identical" doesn't make you less incorrect.
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 SE
Quote:
As the branding suggest, GTX 560 SE is a salvaged GF114 derivative with 2 SMs disabled for a total of 288 SP and 48 TMU.

the 460 SE did not use the GF114 but the GF 104
Quote:
the GTX 560 SE will offer excellent performance/price value if priced around the $150 mark - much like the GTX 460 SE did towards the end of GF104's relatively short life cycle.

comparable for the sake of marketing? sure, but to claim it is a rebadge is entirely incorrect.

of course bus width has nothing to do with AA quality because there is no "quality" of AA, i said that
( there is however subjective differences in the quality between msaa, ssaa, mgssaa, fxaa and txaa but that is not within the scope of this discussion)
however when turning up the AA settings on bus width limited cards, it will severely hamper its performance. here have a good read about the affects since you appear to not be familiar with that.
Seven GeForce GTX 660 Ti Cards: Exploring Memory Bandwidth
BUT 4x MSAA will look exactly the same between any AMD or nVidia card. your inference, actually statement, to it being better with an AMD card is complete bullcr4p.

but the winner is:
Tom Burnqest said:

so now on the same 4xMSAA settings will the "jaggies" be less pronounced with an AMD card since it has better quality of AA but also the colors will look better also?

i suggest you do much reading before posting. . . .
m
l
!