Pata

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2001
I have several question about memory and hard drives, so I think I'll break them down into different posts.
Question two:
Can I make the analogy that RAM is like the spaces in a Free Cell game? If I have four spaces to move cards around, it will take a lot longer and be more difficult to finish the game then if I were to have let say eight spaces to move my cards around in. RAM is like those spaces. If I have more spaces then the faster I can complete the game.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Pata on 02/28/02 08:38 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

FatBurger

Illustrious
How about you pick one analogy and stick with it, instead of posting analogies merrily around the forum? :lol:

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
Don't step in the sarcasm!

G

How about this analogy, which also explains memory hierarchy.

Think of your friends, their phone numbers and addresses.

Registers on the CPU are like the 3 or 4 best friends, whose numbesr you know off by heart. Almost no delay to get those numbers.

CPU cache is like a sticky note next to your desk - 10 or 15 next most useful people. Quite quick to access, not very big - need to make sure it's got the most useful addresses in it, or it's wasted.

Main memory is like your address book - big, but not as fast to find and get the right page.

Hard disk is like all your previous address books, that you left at home. It'll take ages to drive home and find it, but in an emergency you have no choice.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
what happens when you spill hot coffee on the sticky notes??? :lol:

<font color=red>MABACITISS</font color=red>: Movement Against Boasting About CPU Idle Temps & Idle System Stability!