Best radeon HD 7970?

Tags:
  • Radeon
  • HD
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 19, 2013 5:55:43 PM

Hi.

I'm going to sell my cf 6870s and upgrading to a HD 7970, but I'm not sure which one to buy. Any you would recommend? I'm likely to go crossfire in the future, but I want it to last at least a year while tackling all games at ultra settings(maybe some settings on high).
I don't want the 680 becouse it's about 100$ more here.

So what would you recommend?

Thanks in advance :) 

More about : radeon 7970

January 19, 2013 6:23:18 PM

Are you planning on overclocking? If not, then just buy the cheapest GHz Edition card you can find that has a custom cooler (pretty sure all the GHz edition cards have custom coolers).

If you are planning on both overclocking and crossfire, I'd recommend either the MSI Lightning (preferably the boosted edition if you can find it) or Sapphire Vapor-X GHz edition cards.
January 19, 2013 6:34:20 PM

The msi lightning is a bit too expensive, but I found a Sapphire Vapor-X ghz edition (which is also on sale :)  )
Also, I currently have a phenom 2 1055t cpu which will probably bottleneck the card a bit, but will it be okay until I get a new cpu in a couple of months?
Why do you recommend custom cooler btw? Is the reference one bad?
Related resources
January 19, 2013 6:37:16 PM

The reference cooler is bad if you want to overclock, and on the GHz edition it was hot and loud.

A single 7970 will be OK on a 1055t until you upgrade your CPU. I ran a 7970 on basically an 1100t for a few months before getting my i7 and it's OK most of the time.
January 19, 2013 7:07:16 PM

Looks like I'll buy the Vapor-X then. And when i'll eventually buy a new cpu, the intel 3570K will be good enough for games and a little video editing, right?
January 19, 2013 7:23:07 PM

Yes, that cpu is the best you can get for games right now and very fast at editing too for the price. Good choice in vga too.
January 19, 2013 7:25:15 PM

maestro0428 said:
Yes, that cpu is the best you can get for games right now and very fast at editing too for the price. Good choice in vga too.

Best AMD CPU for gaming no .
January 19, 2013 8:10:19 PM

Ok. I'll Buy the Vapor-X the coming days, and the cpu When I've got the money then :D 
Thanks for all the help!
!