Here's my build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jQLk

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570k OC'd at 4GHz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200RPM
SSD: Samsung 830 Series 128Gb
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card
Case: Rosewill Challenger-U3 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 850W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply

I had a 7950 that went out about a month ago, my PC doesn't boot with the card plugged in but runs fine without it. What specifically happens when the card is plugged in is the PC tries turning on, I can hear it click, then it shuts off and I have to unplug the power cable before turning it back on to hear the click. Then I remove the power cables from the video card and the PC turns on fine (with the video card still attached to the motherboard).

So why is this card now malfunctioning? Am I just unlucky or is there something wrong with my build? I didn't overclock the card or anything and it went out. I occasionally monitored the temperature and never saw it get close to any extreme temperatures. This is incredibly frustrating because RMA takes almost a whole month to send me a new card back.
January 19, 2013 6:20:16 PM

I don't know if it has anything to do with it, but I once had a problem with my graphic card, it was caused by my RAM.. Does the motherboard come up with the LED problem number? Maybe that would help you. Also, have you tried adding +50mV to the card?
a b U Graphics card
January 19, 2013 6:24:21 PM

Maybe its your power supply. That would be more likely. Assuming it has several pcie power connectors, did you try different ones? Maybe one of the rails is going bad. You could get a power supply tester pretty cheap. You could have someone else try the card in their PC too, to see if it functions.
Related resources
January 19, 2013 6:28:24 PM

maestro0428 said:
Maybe its your power supply. That would be more likely. Assuming it has several pcie power connectors, did you try different ones? Maybe one of the rails is going bad. You could get a power supply tester pretty cheap. You could have someone else try the card in their PC too, to see if it functions.

The power supply is brand new, but it is the same kind that I had when my old card went out.

919han153 said:
I don't know if it has anything to do with it, but I once had a problem with my graphic card, it was caused by my RAM.. Does the motherboard come up with the LED problem number? Maybe that would help you. Also, have you tried adding +50mV to the card?

I don't think a number comes up because it just powers off, but I'll test it again and look.
a b U Graphics card
January 19, 2013 6:38:07 PM

Are you gaming when it powers off? I don't know much about XFX products and no personal experience with them. Still sounds like a bad power supply to me. Have you tried contacting customer support?
January 19, 2013 6:48:05 PM

maestro0428 said:
Are you gaming when it powers off? I don't know much about XFX products and no personal experience with them. Still sounds like a bad power supply to me. Have you tried contacting customer support?

I doubt its the power supply, the one he has kicks ass (was choosen as an "Elite" PSU in my Custom PC magazine..) And the way he describes doesn't sound like a PSU issue.
a b U Graphics card
January 19, 2013 7:01:49 PM

919han153 said:
I doubt its the power supply, the one he has kicks ass (was choosen as an "Elite" PSU in my Custom PC magazine..) And the way he describes doesn't sound like a PSU issue.

Yet the PC only works when the PCIe connections are unplugged? I suppose he could have gotten two bad cards in a row, but that's very unlikely.
January 19, 2013 7:04:19 PM

maestro0428 said:
Yet the PC only works when the PCIe connections are unplugged? I suppose he could have gotten two bad cards in a row, but that's very unlikely.

Surely if his RMA was successful on the first card, theres a chance that the second would be faulty too. The best thing he could do is just take the graphic card to a local computer shop for them to test, or a friends.
January 19, 2013 9:58:15 PM

I'll take the card to geek squad and see if it boots in their systems.
a b U Graphics card
January 19, 2013 10:06:50 PM

I agree that 2 bad cards is unusual. Checking the card is a good step. If the card is good it is down to the power supply or the motherboard. I would take the power supply to be tested too.
January 20, 2013 12:38:39 AM

Okay so here's a picture explaining the problem a bit better.

Whenever a PCI-E chord is plugged into that slot (only the right slot, the left one works fine) the PC doesn't boot. So if they're both connected, it won't boot. If only the left is connected, it will boot. If the right one is connected, no boot. I've tried it with multiple PCI-E cables. I hope that black part doesn't need to be plugged into anything (This is my first build).
!