Reduced Voltage on Fan, Safe Temps?

919han153

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012
Hello,
Im running a NVIDIA GT210 in my HAF X case, I have fan voltage reduction cables on all the case fans, one at front, back and top, set at 5v. Now, the loudest fan in my case is the stock fan on the GT210, making a total racket..

I unplugged the stock fan on the PCB, and plugged it into a 3-pin, which is at 5v. After, the sound is inaudible, it's totally silent to me. The only thing I'm worried about now, is the temps, but have a feeling there still safe.

I ran Unigine Heaven benchmark for 30 minutes, and the card peaked to a maximum of 67°C. Now the GPU's max is 105°C, yet it goes weird at 75°C (the drivers stop and refresh, Unigine crashes, and the card underclocks itself from my OC of 765MHz, down to 410MHz - this is from.... Past experience)

So, I'm wondering, is this safe to keep the fan at 5v @ ~67°C?

G

The best advice we can give you is to break your GPU and buy another. I mean why would anyone care about how you can keep you 90s GPU?

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
plug that fan back to the gpu board or you will need another one because this one will fail from overheat .also for your other fans why dont you get a fan controller so you could ajust the speed depending on the inside of the case temp .

919han153

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012

The card isn't overheating, the way I found out the 75 degrees thing was when I just stopped the fan altogether.

If the card runs fine at 67 degrees, and it throttles at 75, yet the maximum temp on the GPU before it dies is 105, I don't see how it would overheat.. Also, Im using MSI after burner to monitor the temps.

919han153

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012

Doesn't seem to be overheating to me. Also, I don't run fan controllers because they seem untidy, I tuck all the fan cables behind the motherboard tray, and plug them into 5v fan speed reducer cables.

I wouldn't need to adjust the fans anyway, my temps are all pretty low usually, where my i5 3570k is cooled by a Noctua D14, and my GTX 680 (which is in a RMA process, somewhere in EVGA's office over in Germany..) has fab temps - probably because the case has such good airflow as standard.

919han153

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012
The best advice we can give you is to break your GPU and buy another. I mean why would anyone care about how you can keep you 90s GPU?

Real helpful that. My GTX 680 is with EVGA over in Germany in a RMA process, I'm maxing out Minecraft on a 120Hz monitor, it does the job for now....

G

I'm sorry I was just trolling :(

919han153

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012
I'm sorry I was just trolling :(

Its fine, I understand.. Was gonna say in first post that it was because of the RMA.. Having a £25 graphic card, dwarfed in a HAF X case, and not worth 5% of the total build does seem pretty odd :p

919han153

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012

Randomly started glitching up one day, drivers all failing.. EVGA have a habit for their GTX 670 FTW (which my friend had to RMA after I recommended it him :L), and their 680's to crash. They have a great RMA service though. Just google up "670 FTW crashing" or "680 FTW crashing" on google, and you will see the amount of people with the same issue.