Solved

Budget gpu comparison

I am still learning about graphics and what is what. I need some help with choosing a decent graphics card to catch up on some gaming.

I want to buy some games, like civ 5, and use an xbox controller. I know what I need to connect the controller. I have xfx 550w, 4.3ghz 3570k(212 evo p/p), z77x-d3h. now all that's left is choosing a gpu for price/performance.

I have plenty of space, but slots taken somewhat matters. I will understand if I need to replace a crappy gpu fan.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/galaxy-video-card-65ngh8dl7axx
vs
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-video-card-n550gtxtim2d1gd5oc
vs
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-video-card-r7770pmd1gd5
vs
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/sapphire-video-card-100358l

after rebate.

comparison includes all gpu at or below $110. I will increase my price range if greater price/performance is found. I also don't want to need a better one in 2 years.

Edit: expecting to run 2 old 1280x1024 vga flat panel monitors (weird for 8+ years old)
18 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about budget comparison
  1. Stay away from all but the 7770 .
  2. Best answer
    The 7770s are the best of those options. The next step up would be a GTX 650 Ti, but it costs more than your budget allows and isn't the greatest value around.
    A 7850 is better value, but costs even more.
  3. Tom Burnqest said:
    Stay away from all but the 7770 .


    what's wrong with the other two? the 550 ti does well in the budget gpu article
  4. Sakkura said:
    The 7770s are the best of those options. The next step up would be a GTX 650 Ti, but it costs more than your budget allows and isn't the greatest value around.
    A 7850 is better value, but costs even more.


    this? http://pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-video-card-fx785aznl4

    edit: is this better than ^? http://pcpartpicker.com/part/galaxy-video-card-65igh8dl7axx
  5. lxgoldsmith said:
    I am still learning about graphics and what is what. I need some help with choosing a decent graphics card to catch up on some gaming.

    I want to buy some games, like civ 5, and use an xbox controller. I know what I need to connect the controller. I have xfx 550w, 4.3ghz 3570k(212 evo p/p), z77x-d3h. now all that's left is choosing a gpu for price/performance.

    I have plenty of space, but slots taken somewhat matters. I will understand if I need to replace a crappy gpu fan.

    http://pcpartpicker.com/part/galaxy-video-card-65ngh8dl7axx
    vs
    http://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-video-card-n550gtxtim2d1gd5oc
    vs
    http://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-video-card-r7770pmd1gd5
    vs
    http://pcpartpicker.com/part/sapphire-video-card-100358l

    after rebate.

    comparison includes all gpu at or below $110. I will increase my price range if greater price/performance is found. I also don't want to need a better one in 2 years.

    Edit: expecting to run 2 old 1280x1024 vga flat panel monitors (weird for 8+ years old)


    im confused why you chose a high end cpu and OC'd it, only to stick in a cheap crap gpu and old monitors? if you dont want to have to upgrade the gpu for 2 years, and plan to stick to those old monitors, the 7770 would proably be enough. If you planned on updating your monitors to a 1080p monitor, get a gtx660 or 7850 at least, if you want to be able to play games smoothly at good detail for the next 2 years.
  6. iam2thecrowe said:
    im confused why you chose a high end cpu and OC'd it, only to stick in a cheap crap gpu and old monitors? if you dont want to have to upgrade the gpu for 2 years, and plan to stick to those old monitors, the 7770 would proably be enough. If you planned on updating your monitors to a 1080p monitor, get a gtx660 or 7850 at least, if you want to be able to play games smoothly at good detail for the next 2 years.


    one part at a time, my friend. I just recently put together a small office build using 24" 1080p monitors, and the pixels are noticeably bigger than what I use. I'll get some 21.5" 1080p monitors later.

    I'm don't know if I'm going to use more than one monitor for gaming
  7. lxgoldsmith said:
    what's wrong with the other two? the 550 ti does well in the budget gpu article

    550ti is kind of crap because it needs to much power and gets out paced by the competition including the Radeon HD 6850, GTX 560 SE and Radeon HD 7770.

    Try this card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202019 as it outpaces the fastest card you linked to being the 7770

    http://www.hwcompare.com/9711/geforce-gtx-550-ti-vs-radeon-hd-6850/

    http://www.hwcompare.com/13513/geforce-gtx-650-vs-radeon-hd-6850/

    http://www.hwcompare.com/11925/radeon-hd-6850-vs-radeon-hd-7770/

    The Radeon HD 6850 will outperform the GTX 460 in most games and situation and @ 100 bucks is a real dam steal of a deal

    http://www.hwcompare.com/8241/geforce-gtx-460-1gb-vs-radeon-hd-6850/
  8. lxgoldsmith said:
    what's wrong with the other two? the 550 ti does well in the budget gpu article

    The GTX 550 Ti is on par with the Radeon HD 7750. The 7770 is quite a bit faster.

    lxgoldsmith said:

    The 7850 is significantly better than the GTX 650 Ti.
  9. Tom Burnqest said:
    550ti is kind of crap because it needs to much power and gets out paced by the competition including the Radeon HD 6850, GTX 560 SE and Radeon HD 7770.

    Try this card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202019 as it outpaces the fastest card you linked to being the 7770

    http://www.hwcompare.com/9711/geforce-gtx-550-ti-vs-radeon-hd-6850/

    http://www.hwcompare.com/13513/geforce-gtx-650-vs-radeon-hd-6850/

    http://www.hwcompare.com/11925/radeon-hd-6850-vs-radeon-hd-7770/

    The Radeon HD 6850 will outperform the GTX 460 in most games and situation and @ 100 bucks is a real dam steal of a deal

    http://www.hwcompare.com/8241/geforce-gtx-460-1gb-vs-radeon-hd-6850/

    The GTX 460 1GB is a little faster than the Radeon HD 6850. The 6850 is pretty much matched by the 7770, so paying $100 for a refurbished 6850 is a bad deal when a brand new 7770 is just a few bucks more and uses less power.
  10. Sakkura said:
    The GTX 460 1GB is a little faster than the Radeon HD 6850. The 6850 is pretty much matched by the 7770, so paying $100 for a refurbished 6850 is a bad deal when a brand new 7770 is just a few bucks more and uses less power.

    Actually the 6850 is better than the GTX 460 because it offers competitive performance on a single 6pin.

    I don't know why people think the GTX 460 was faster than the 6850 when it was not it was competitive.

    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/HIS/Radeon_HD_6850/

    http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews/1059/pg6/inno3d-gtx-460-vs-powercolor-radeon-hd-6850-review-crysis-warhead.html
  11. I would also get a 7770. I can't say it's going to play the newest games for two years at high settings though.
  12. Sorry, wrong post, please delete me. :)
  13. Tom Burnqest said:
    Actually the 6850 is better than the GTX 460 because it offers competitive performance on a single 6pin.

    I don't know why people think the GTX 460 was faster than the 6850 when it was not it was competitive.

    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/HIS/Radeon_HD_6850/

    http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews/1059/pg6/inno3d-gtx-460-vs-powercolor-radeon-hd-6850-review-crysis-warhead.html

    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-6870-radeon-hd-6850-barts,2776-23.html

    The GTX 460 1GB is slightly more powerful than the HD 6850. It also overclocks a little bit better. Power consumption is another story, but that doesn't have anything to do with raw performance.
  14. I'm down to radeon hd series. does the 7850 significantly beat 7770? is it worth it to go any higher? I can wait if it means I can get better price/performance at a higher price point.
  15. lxgoldsmith said:
    I'm down to radeon hd series. does the 7850 significantly beat 7770? is it worth it to go any higher? I can wait if it means I can get better price/performance at a higher price point.

    Yeah the 7850 is a good chunk faster than the 7770. At least 30% faster, maybe as much as 50% faster.
    The 7870 or GTX 660 arguably give a little better price/performance, but the 7850 is still very solid in that category.
  16. Best answer selected by lxgoldsmith.
  17. AMD are launching their next generation of graphics cards within a few months, and Nvidia might also launch their next generation before summer. So keep an eye out.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards GPUs Graphics Product