Sign in with
Your question

What is the easiest way to get neighbours internet

Last response: in Networking
February 24, 2012 4:06:03 PM

what is the easiest way to share my neighbours wireless internet?I am currently on dial up

More about : easiest neighbours internet

February 24, 2012 4:15:38 PM

We can't tell you how to hijack your neigbor's Internet. Even if you had their permission, it's most likely illegal. I'm sure their ISP wouldn't be happy about it.
m
l
February 24, 2012 4:18:14 PM

the easiest way is to ask them for their password and see if they say yes

but since im pretty sure its illegal ontop of them losing some of there bandwith to you, they will probably say no

my advice?

get your own internet
m
l
Related resources
February 24, 2012 6:45:27 PM

weedn said:
the easiest way is to ask them for their password and see if they say yes

but since im pretty sure its illegal ontop of them losing some of there bandwith to you, they will probably say no

my advice?

get your own internet

I did ask him and he agreed we would split the monthly charge. Can it be done and if so what do I need ?
m
l
February 24, 2012 8:08:40 PM

interesting, i dont know if its illegal or not, but whatever works i guess, if your neighbor is cool with it.

but your going to need a wireless card or adapter, but first i would check and see if its even legal, just to be safe, you dont want to be breaking any terms or conditions, could be some anoying concequences
m
l
February 25, 2012 4:46:12 AM

As long as your neighbor is ok with it, have them move their wireless access point as close to you as possible (unless you want to spend money on a repeater or two). Secure the access point with WPA or WPA2 - WPA2 is preferable - and a decent password that you both know.

Get yourself a wireless NIC adapter if you don't already have one, either variety will do... internal card or USB adapter, and connect to the neighbor's network with the password they gave you.

Edit: This is not illegal, as long as your neighbor knows about it and agrees to let you share the connection. What I would avoid, is advertising that you guys are doing this to your neighbor's ISP. If they have anything in their Terms of Service that says customers are not allowed to share the service in this manner, your neighbor's service with their ISP could be terminated.
m
l
February 25, 2012 1:09:42 PM

The_Prophecy said:
As long as your neighbor is ok with it, have them move their wireless access point as close to you as possible (unless you want to spend money on a repeater or two). Secure the access point with WPA or WPA2 - WPA2 is preferable - and a decent password that you both know.

Get yourself a wireless NIC adapter if you don't already have one, either variety will do... internal card or USB adapter, and connect to the neighbor's network with the password they gave you.

Edit: This is not illegal, as long as your neighbor knows about it and agrees to let you share the connection. What I would avoid, is advertising that you guys are doing this to your neighbor's ISP. If they have anything in their Terms of Service that says customers are not allowed to share the service in this manner, your neighbor's service with their ISP could be terminated.

i am not computer savvy at alll......what is a wireless NIC adapter? and how would I set up in my house?
m
l
February 26, 2012 11:58:02 PM

Ok first and foremost, in order to connect to your neighbour's connection, you will need a network interface card (NIC). I dont think you will want to throw an ethernet cable over to his house through your window across the yard am i right? So the next step will be getting a wireless NIC.

So the thing is, are you on a laptop or desktop? It it's a laptop, and if not a passe one, it will definitely have wireless capability. So if it detects your neighbour's connection, e.g "lets share internet" (SSID), it will prompt you for the password and all you need to do is to get it from your neighbour and key them in.

Next, if your on desktop, and desktop by norm doesnt have wireless NIC installed in them, you will need to purchase a Wireless adapter, e.g TP link, D-link etc. The adapter will look like a antenna / probe / dil** whatever you call it. Usually they are plug and play kind, so if your not computer savvy at all, it doesnt even matter a single bit.

They doesnt cost much by the way, if your concern about the price =)
m
l
February 27, 2012 10:42:10 AM

The_Prophecy said:

You are contridicting yourself, and yes, it's illegal. It's theft of service since the ISP is not collecting money for another account. Internet service is sold per house(hold), not per neighborhood.
m
l
February 27, 2012 1:39:46 PM

Let me give you this scenario...

Lets say I take my cell phone over to my neighbors house. I connect to their wifi with my neighbors permission and download a large game installer from say, GameFly or some other digital distribution service. The ISP can charge me with theft because i'm not using my own Internet connection? What if I subscribe to another ISP's service but I'm using my neighbors wifi? Paying for service from ISP B, or not having service at all is the same thing in this context as far as ISP A is concerned. But does me paying for an internet subscription from another provider or not really have any effect other than perhaps easing my conscience in the context of this scenario?

I highly doubt this ISP would want to open Pandora's box here. They would be so busy taking legal action against their customers for letting friends, family, and neighbors come over and use the service "illegally" that they wouldn't have any customers left.

While I am not disputing that you make a good point at face value, the issue here isn't as black and white as one might think.
m
l
February 27, 2012 2:09:18 PM

Verizon EULA:

Restrictions on Use. The Service is a consumer grade service and is not designed for or intended to be used for any commercial purpose. You may not resell, re-provision or rent the Service, (either for a fee or without charge) or allow third parties to use the Service via wired, wireless or other means. For example, you may not provide Internet access to third parties through a wired or wireless connection or use the Service to facilitate public Internet access (such as through a Wi-Fi hotspot), use it for high volume purposes, or engage in similar activities that constitute such use (commercial or non-commercial). If you subscribe to a Broadband Service, you may connect multiple computers/devices within a single home to your modem and/or router to access the Service, but only through a single Verizon-issued IP address. You also may not exceed the bandwidth usage limitations that Verizon may establish from time to time for the Service, or use the Service to host any type of server. Violation of this section may result in bandwidth restrictions on your Service or suspension or termination of your Service.

http://www.verizon.net/policies/vzcom/tos_popup.asp

You can check the rest of the ISP's, ut they all say the same.
m
l
February 27, 2012 3:12:46 PM

basiclly its just a breach in terms and conditions,

but heres a thought, what about establishments who offer free wifi to customers? (mcdonalds, starbucks, ect.) and even more so, establishments who offer wifi for a FEE like a hotel for instance.

i lived in an apartment complex that offered wifi if you were in the vicinity of their pool.

how is it that there able to get around these terms?
m
l
February 27, 2012 3:23:55 PM

weedn said:
basiclly its just a breach in terms and conditions,

but heres a thought, what about establishments who offer free wifi to customers? (mcdonalds, starbucks, ect.) and even more so, establishments who offer wifi for a FEE like a hotel for instance.

i lived in an apartment complex that offered wifi if you were in the vicinity of their pool.

how is it that there able to get around these terms?

Commercial contracts. I used to work for a local ISP. We'd sell wi-fi to establishements like VFW's, restaurants, and such with their intent to give customers free wi-fi. They paid for bandwidth and could do whatever they wanted with it as long as it wasn't illegal. ISP's also have contracts and pay for bandwidth, not the number of people using the service.

Residential contracts never allow sharing the service with another household.
m
l
February 27, 2012 8:27:55 PM

I think it may be necessary to point out that "illegal" and a breach of civil contract are not the same. What is being described is not illegal. It may be a breach of civil contract. A law needs to be broken for it to be illegal. A contract is not a law. Illegal requires that a legislated, regulated, case or common law be broken (and that the law fall under the category of criminal). A civil contract does not fall under these categories. That also means you cannot be arrested and/or charged lawfully for breaching a civil contract in many western countries.
m
l
February 27, 2012 9:33:04 PM

yeah, its just a breach in contract, the worst thing that can happen is if the ISP finds out then they will either restrict bandwith or disable it and cancel the contract, depending on the contract, and the contract holder may be charged cancelation fees or other such penalties.

again it all depends on the contract

no jail time, no tickets, no fines, nothing of that sort.
m
l
March 7, 2012 5:39:00 AM

First of all u must keep in mind that either you want to share wired or wireless network of your neighbors. secondly there must be permission to do so.

IN-WIRED: you must use UTP cables (indoor), STP (outdoor) straight connection cable upto 100 meter. Connect RJ45 connector of this cable via neighbor DSL (or any other equipment ) and your Computer. set your computer TCP/IP , DNS & proxy settings at auto. you must be awareness of the neighbors (network/ISP settings) so that you may be able to do so. please Note that there may be mac filtering at ISP distributing device. we can also check the connectivity between your computer and neighbor ISP device @ ping in run command.

IN-WIRELESS:
if your neighbor had not enable secrecy at wireless AP or wireless DSL router there then every one can connect. If the secrecy policy is enabled then you must use the key or username password of wireless network. you must be aware that some wireless router have hide their SSID.

m
l
March 7, 2012 1:20:50 PM

While it may sound like the thing to do since splitting the cost between the 2 of you may be a bit cheaper than each of you having a separate service - the problems and conflicts it can cause is not worth the $5-$10 savings -- Figure if you are both going to use the service you will eventually find that the service suffers from slowdowns and someone is going to decide it is not worth the hassle sharing the service or you'll wind up increasing the speed of the service provided and the savings from sharing will decrease.

In order to save arguements with the neighbor over who is using too much of the service and slowing the others connection down - or the ISP finding the increased usage and looking into it and discovering you are sharing the connection and then disconnected you both, It's worth the cost of getting a separate connection for your own usage figure you can now get a decent speed service for only $20-$40 a month so to save $10-$20 is not worth the hassle of sharing a connection with your neighbor and the possible arguments that happen when the service is not fast enough for you both and the easiest to blame for the slowness is each other when it may actually be the ISP. (at which point they may decide to suddenly encrypt the connection and disconnect you without notice and ther's nothing you can do since it is their connection !)

Just get a new service installed and drop the Dial up connection and save the friendship with the neighbor - It's not worth sharing a single connection to save $20.
m
l
!