Sign in with
Your question

Computer does not start

Last response: in Systems
March 9, 2013 1:39:06 PM

Hey, I was building a new computer and after windows install it wont start up. All parts were new, straight from the boxes, when I finished everything was fine, I installed windows and after it finished and showed screen with " adjusting screen resolution" well the screen before newly installed windows load up. I left the room for 20 seconds and when I came back computer was off, I tried to turn it on, but it wont work. After pushing the power button, nothing happens, no fan spin, no sounds, nothing... I rebuilt it, checked every wire, tried power buttons from other pc's and still nothing I tried other power supplies, more powerful ones, way enough to power up this system, and still nothing, nothing happens, at all...
I will answer few questions you might ask:
Yes, green light on the motherboard is on,
Yes I checked all the buttons, electricity current is getting to computer.
Yes I tried to start it up without a button, (connecting the pins)
Motherboard: Asus P8H61-MX USB3
CPU: Intel i3 3220
no gpu, 4gb of memory.
PSU: 300W, but tried 550W, still doesn't work.
Any suggestions what could be wrong? I'm going give it to warranty, because what comes to mind is motherboard or processor failure, but I'm open any suggestions what could be wrong and how could it be fixed.

More about : computer start

March 9, 2013 2:45:16 PM

Quote:
I installed windows and after it finished and showed screen with " adjusting screen resolution" well the screen before newly installed windows load up. I left the room for 20 seconds and when I came back computer was off, I tried to turn it on, but it wont work.

This event tells us something very important.
Your CPU was unable to handle the load presented by the system.
This type of event occurs in a few situations:
Too much thermal paste means heat cannot effectively transfer from the CPU to heatsink. CPU shutdown to save itself.
Too little thermal paste means the CPU heats up rapidly under load (note that windows install is not a heavy load while booting into windows is) then shuts off to try to save itself.... this safety trigger does not always work in time.
CPU fan is not plugged in or it is broken/stuck.
CPU has bent/broken pins that are required for full use.

I personally think that you did not have enough thermal paste and you fried your chip.

Ill point you to a thread that might be of use to you http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-ste...

Good luck
m
l
March 9, 2013 10:30:49 PM

Quote:
Too much thermal paste means heat cannot effectively transfer from the CPU to heatsink. CPU shutdown to save itself.
Too little thermal paste means the CPU heats up rapidly under load (note that windows install is not a heavy load while booting into windows is) then shuts off to try to save itself.... this safety trigger does not always work in time.
CPU fan is not plugged in or it is broken/stuck.
CPU has bent/broken pins that are required for full use.

I personally think that you did not have enough thermal paste and you fried your chip.

Thermal paste was already applied on the stock heat-sink that came with processor and I had experience with this specific i3 3220 processor with stock cooler before and everything was fine, right amount of thermal paste for any load.

CPU fan, was working fine during the install of windows, so I doubt it could just broke for no specific reason.

The thing that bothers me the most is that system is not showing any sings of it being alive while trying to turn it on...
I mean nothing, not a single beep, a spin or any sound, nothing at all. But thanks for your opinion and thanks for pointing me to the thread. Going to go through it step by step, lets hope it will help!
m
l
Related resources
March 9, 2013 10:39:44 PM

I had this happen with a new build a few weeks back. Computer loaded windows, and Booted fine, but after letting update.. came back and pc shut off and wouldnt start.. Try removing the cmos batter, or if there is available, set the jumper to reset the bios, and reboot.. Sometimes windows makes changes to your computer that shouldnt be made.. Assume its the easy stuff first, and then move to the harder stuff.. Dont go straight to the cpu
m
l
!