Sign in with
Your question

Why do graphics jump on PCs when new consoles release?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 19, 2013 7:11:46 PM

I'm sorry if this is posted uner the wrong forum..couldn't really find a good place

I've been noticing something since the 6th generation of console launches. Why does gaming graphics seem to "jump" when a new gaming console comes out whilst technically computers are more powerful? I mean, it almost doesn't make any sense. I didn't see the Xbox 360 quality graphics until 2005. I mean, while I do notice overall a general improvement in PC gaming. But it doesn't seem to be constant. I was playing Starfox Adventures and the water effects are still impressive. Thinking back to seeing the Xbox 360's launch, the games had a "distinct" look to them. The whole plasticy lighting effect.

Is it because consoles are more optimized? AMD and NVIDIA make the processors/gpus based on the same technology of their graphics cards. Sometimes it's an even older grahphics card, but the graphics seem to outshine PCs initally.

I'm not sure if this is just me seeing things, or if this is an actual phenomenon. Thanks.
a b U Graphics card
January 19, 2013 7:39:27 PM

It is the optimization! Games / graphics for the consoles are optimized for exactly one hardware / driver / os combination. That makes the difference.
m
l
a c 105 U Graphics card
January 19, 2013 8:15:26 PM

didn't know there were 6 generations of consoles released. xbox had 2? PS had ..? what else is there?

pc graphics has been moving on more steadily. nothing you put on a console can compare to a pc.

once graphics is set on a console you're stuck with it for how many years until a new console comes out..??

you can always increase the performance of a pc.

next gen console are going to have old graphics performance when they are new.

what are you trying to get at?
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
January 19, 2013 8:33:01 PM

Games are in most cases made for the consoles. So all games are made so they can run decent on the consoles.

Whenever the next gen of consoles launches the performance are greatly increased. Which Means games now can look better and so they will.

Microsoft promises that the next XBOX will have 6 times more performance. So games will likely be waaay more demanding in the future.

Consoles can have that great Visuals because that all the consoles have some what similar specs, and that makes it easy for the game producers to make the games run great on that hardware.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 19, 2013 9:10:20 PM

swifty_morgan said:
didn't know there were 6 generations of consoles released. xbox had 2? PS had ..? what else is there?

pc graphics has been moving on more steadily. nothing you put on a console can compare to a pc.

once graphics is set on a console you're stuck with it for how many years until a new console comes out..??

you can always increase the performance of a pc.

next gen console are going to have old graphics performance when they are new.

what are you trying to get at?

We are now in the 7th generation of consoles, about to enter the 8th. You have to take into consideration that consoles give you much more than you can get out of the same hardware than a pc can, so what you think is weak old technology, I guarantee you will give you graphics comparable or better than what a high end pc can do now. Try to run a modern game at Xbox 360 quality on a pc with an 7 year old triple core cpu with 256mb system ran and 256mb video ram and see what happens.
m
l
a c 105 U Graphics card
January 19, 2013 9:30:11 PM

can't believe I'm replying to this but you make no sense what so ever. are you trying to say that a console is a better performer per dollar than a pc?
m
l
January 19, 2013 10:14:36 PM

swifty_morgan said:
can't believe I'm replying to this but you make no sense what so ever. are you trying to say that a console is a better performer per dollar than a pc?

I can't understand people not using the proper punctuation and reply to something they can't understand. :ange: 

Since you seem to have the attention span of an angler fish...

I'll give you cliffs:
Powerful graphics card gets released this year
New Xbox comes out this year, has weaker but outclasses it
Weird phenomenon because a better gpu should theoretically give you better graphics.

Also, we entered the 8th generation of consoles when the Wii U released.
m
l
a c 105 U Graphics card
January 19, 2013 11:14:15 PM

up yours dip wipple.
m
l
!