Sign in with
Your question
Closed

4 GTX 660 TI Nvidia with SLI . WHich Brand? +Questions

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 19, 2013 7:42:48 PM

I have seen that EVGA seem to be prefered by some...

I would like to have 4 video card. Same brand. in an LGA 2011 motherboard (Asus) using SLI

660 TI with 2GB

I seen some EVGA at a good price at amazon.

two questions
1) What brand is well known, specially to be used for SLI
2) DO I need to get extra fans/coolers for the card to work at a low temparature.

Please note that I'm not gaming with this.
I'm doing scientific visualization, heavy opengl rendering and scientific computations (gpu)

I'm trying to get the best part for the system.

I think that instead of spending 1000 dollars in a GTX 690, I could get 4 660 ti (or even 4 650 ti if I need to lower the budget)

THanks!
a b U Graphics card
January 19, 2013 7:51:05 PM

This is from Nvidia's website:

"NVIDIA SLI® Technology3
Used by the most demanding gamers worldwide, SLI lets you link up to three GeForce GTX 660Tis together for astounding performance. And with NVIDIA’s track record for fast and frequent software updates, you’ll not only get the best performance in existing games, but future games too."

So it looks like you can only use 3 in SLI.
Score
January 19, 2013 8:02:30 PM

Which one supports 4... because the asus board extreme iv rampage says that it "Supports NVIDIA® 4-Way SLI™ Technology "

So, assuming this is true for the 660 ti, then just 3 cards, but the question still remains the same but with 3 cards..

and which nvidia supports 4?

thanks
Score
Related resources
January 19, 2013 8:17:38 PM

It seems that 680 is 4-way SLI but it is too expensive. it would cost around 2,000 for four cards.
For that matter, I just go with 3 gtx 660 TI . When the 680 goes down, I can buy four of them later if anything.
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
January 19, 2013 8:21:33 PM

blues76 said:
It seems that 680 is 4-way SLI but it is too expensive. it would cost around 2,000 for four cards.
For that matter, I just go with 3 gtx 660 TI . When the 680 goes down, I can buy four of them later if anything.

It's only 3 way according to Nvidia.
http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gt...
Score
January 19, 2013 8:26:38 PM

maybe 2 590s or 690s since their sli capable dual gpu cards. technically it can be called 4 way sli.
Score

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
January 19, 2013 8:34:32 PM

After some research I found this:

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/nvidia-geforc...

It mentions they added 4-way sli support for the 670 in that driver update.

"If you downloaded our 301.24 beta drivers or the releases specifically for the GTX 670, 680 or 690, you'll definitely want to upgrade to the new 301.42 WHQL drivers as we've fixed bugs, improved functionality, added 4-way GTX 670 SLI support, improved Mass Effect 3 override anti-aliasing performance, and listened to user feedback to fine-tune and tweak the elements you care about. "
January 19, 2013 8:34:48 PM

Thanks... but getting away from the 4-way topic, if anyone can answer my original question, in a modified form... (BELOW)

In an LGA 2011 motherboard (Asus) using SLI

2 x 660 TI with 2GB
or
3 x 650 ti with 2gb
or
1 x 680

I seen some EVGA at a good price at amazon.

two questions
1) What brand is well known, specially to be used for SLI
2) DO I need to get extra fans/coolers for the card to work at a low temparature.

Please note that I'm not gaming with this.
I'm doing scientific visualization, heavy opengl rendering and scientific computations (gpu)

I'm trying to get the best part for the system.

Score
a b U Graphics card
January 19, 2013 8:49:19 PM

Why not go with a Quadro card. I don't know what software you are using, but for scientific work, you may need the larger amount of VRam the upper models have. Here is a review of the new K5000 http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/graphics/display/nvidi... I haven't used it yet, but in the small amount of reviews I have seen, its very fast. You can add a Tesla too which would be ideal as you can compute on that and run separate software on the Quadro. Yeah, its a lot of money, but it sound like that is what you really need.
Score
January 19, 2013 8:49:23 PM

Best answer selected by blues76.
Score
!