Sidewinder FFB 2 Recorder problem

I have following problem related to my trusty MS SideWinder Force Feedback 2
USB joystick.

The stick itself works technically brilliantly, but I cannot alter the
stick's game profiles. When I open Control Panel/Game Controllers in my WinXP
SP2 and try to access the Recorder in SideWinder Force Feedback 2 Properties
I get the following Error message:

RUNDLL
An exception occurred while trying to run "Shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL joy.cpl"

Removing and re-adding the MS SWFFB2 joystick in Game Controllers does not
help.
This means I cannot any longer record or change any joystick profile.
Earlier it all worked fine, but I don't know what caused the present error.

It seems the problem is not in the stick itself but rather somewhere in the
software.

Any ideas how to fix this?

TIA

Uffe
ustahlNOSPAM@NOSPAMkolumbus.fi
3 answers Last reply
More about sidewinder recorder problem

    This software must run under an account with Administrator privledges. This
    is usully the error message you will get when attempting to run under an
    accoutn with less than Administrator control.

    Joshua Smith
    OpenGL Test Lab
    Microsoft
    -----

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security

    "Uffe" <ustahlNOSPAM@NOSPAMkolumbus.fi> wrote in message
    >I have following problem related to my trusty MS SideWinder Force Feedback
    >2
    > USB joystick.
    >
    > The stick itself works technically brilliantly, but I cannot alter the
    > stick's game profiles. When I open Control Panel/Game Controllers in my
    > WinXP
    > SP2 and try to access the Recorder in SideWinder Force Feedback 2
    > Properties
    > I get the following Error message:
    >
    > RUNDLL
    > An exception occurred while trying to run "Shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL
    > joy.cpl"
    >
    > Removing and re-adding the MS SWFFB2 joystick in Game Controllers does not
    > help.
    > This means I cannot any longer record or change any joystick profile.
    > Earlier it all worked fine, but I don't know what caused the present
    > error.
    >
    > It seems the problem is not in the stick itself but rather somewhere in
    > the
    > software.
    >
    > Any ideas how to fix this?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Uffe
    > ustahlNOSPAM@NOSPAMkolumbus.fi

    Thanks for your input, but I am running my WinXP Home Edition SP2 with
    Administrator priviledges, always have.

    Today I once again removed the SideWinder FFB 2 USB via Device Manager and
    re-added it via Control Panel-Game Controllers (the stick being
    auto-detected by WinXP), but I'm still getting the same error message when
    clicking the Recorder tab.

    Any further ideas?

    Cheers
    Uffe

    "Joshua Smith [MSFT]" <joshsm@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > This software must run under an account with Administrator privledges.
    > This is usully the error message you will get when attempting to run under
    > an accoutn with less than Administrator control.
    >
    > Joshua Smith
    > OpenGL Test Lab
    > Microsoft
    > -----

    Hi Uffe,

    There was a driver that came on the setup disk that is installed when you
    install the software. That driver had an issue like you describe as well so
    during WinXP development we fixed that issue and put a signed driver in the
    OS that should be used over the unsigned driver on the disk when installed
    with the default driver signing settings. That is by default signed drivers
    are always used over unsigned ones. If you set this to use whatever is
    installed without asking, say to upgrade a video driver, and then installed
    the 4.0 software you may have ended up using the unsigned driver with the
    fault.Try Updating the drivers and choosing to pick the driver yourself and
    then select the one that says it is signed. It has a little green
    certificate next to it in the choice list.

    Joshua Smith
    OpenGL Test Lab
    Microsoft
    -----

    "Ulf Stahl" <ustahl@kolumbus.fi> wrote in message
    > Thanks for your input, but I am running my WinXP Home Edition SP2 with
    > Administrator priviledges, always have.
    >
    > Today I once again removed the SideWinder FFB 2 USB via Device Manager and
    > re-added it via Control Panel-Game Controllers (the stick being
    > auto-detected by WinXP), but I'm still getting the same error message when
    > clicking the Recorder tab.
    >
    > Any further ideas?
    >
    > Cheers
    > Uffe
    >
    > "Joshua Smith [MSFT]" <joshsm@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> This software must run under an account with Administrator privledges.
    >> This is usully the error message you will get when attempting to run
    >> under an accoutn with less than Administrator control.
    >>
    >> Joshua Smith
    >> OpenGL Test Lab
    >> Microsoft
    >> -----