Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Network speed reduction due to too many switches?

Last response: in Networking
February 24, 2012 4:59:22 PM

I recently finished setting up my home network
here's the setup, modem > Wireless Router (DIR-655) > 1st Switch (ZyXEL GS105B) > hard wires throughout the house (which got messed up by the previous owner of the house)
and from those hard wires, in one room I have an E3000 set as Repeater (DD-WRT) which has 1 desktop connected to it through hardwire
then in living room I have another switch (ASUS GX-D1081/V2) for HTPC, TV, PS3

Not sure if it helps *(PIC)
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=3333393223843&l=0a3031e93e

Here's the question
After everything is up and running, I notice my download speed decrease quite dramatically
usually I can get about 1-2MB/s (maxed out my internet bandwidth) now it's hovering about 600KB/s (even if no other devices are on) [tested in my room with the E3000 as repeater, Test with a 16MB PDF download through email]

Could there be a reduction due to too many switches and routers?

Best solution

February 24, 2012 7:11:43 PM

You don't need a repeater; try connecting your desktop directly to the cable and retry.
February 24, 2012 7:16:51 PM

PhilFrisbie said:
You don't need a repeater; try connecting your desktop directly to the cable and retry.

I know but because my house is pretty long, my phone + tabs can barely receive any signal from the DIR-655 (the cable panel is in the walking closet)

But I haven't tried that yet though
Will try that after work, will report later
m
l
Related resources
February 27, 2012 6:34:38 PM

The official limit for twisted pair Ethernet is 100 meters. I envy you if your house is larger than that ;) 
m
l
March 1, 2012 11:11:33 PM

Best answer selected by qhoa1385.
m
l
March 1, 2012 11:14:13 PM

PhilFrisbie said:
The official limit for twisted pair Ethernet is 100 meters. I envy you if your house is larger than that ;) 

LOL I was talking about wifi signal being block and can't reach my room, basically the router is in a metal box and at one end of the house and my room is at another

;) 

Anyway, tested without repeater, and speed got back to normal
m
l
!