Your question

Problems with HD4870

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • DVD Players
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 19, 2013 10:43:55 PM

Hello there! (you people must be really tired of me :p )

So, I recently bought a new Corsair CX500 psu to my computer.
I had some problems putting it to work, but in the end everything went fine.
But now there's a problem...
Every time I try to play, the graphic card makes a huge noise, the screen turns off, pc crashes, and then reboots (It happened in Age of Conan). And it is not during gameplay, its in the menu... But earlier, I played Just Cause 2 and there were no problems. The first time it happened was when I was installing the Orange Box with the DVD player. I wasn't even playing at that time... Some time earlier, I wanted to use the DVD player, but I noticed that I had forgotten to plug it to the motherboard and psu. These weird stuff just started to happen after I plugged the DVD player. Still, I unplugged the dvd player, but the same stuff happened.
I don't know what's the problem, the DVD player, the graphic card or the new psu...

Here's my specs:

PSU: Corsair CX500
MoBo: Asus P5K SE
Graph: ATI Radeon HD4870 512MB
Mem: Kingston 4 GB RAM
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E2200 2.2Ghz
Hard Drive: Western Digital 500GB

More about : problems hd4870

a b U Graphics card
January 19, 2013 10:46:47 PM

So it's not your DVD player, if you can try swapping out the PSU and try a different one. If that doesn't work it may be your graphics card.
January 19, 2013 10:52:13 PM

The other psu that I have is a EuroTech Silent Pro 420w, it isnt powerful enough to handle the graphic card :/ 
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
January 19, 2013 10:56:32 PM

The only thing I can think of now is diagnosing and making sure that all your other parts are stable, CPU, RAM, etc. By the way you said it isn't powerful enough to handle the card. So did you just buy it and switch out the PSU?
January 19, 2013 10:59:07 PM

Well... Pretty much yes.
I just switched the 420w psu for a 500w one.
Did I did something I should not have done?
a b U Graphics card
January 19, 2013 11:04:39 PM

Try taking out and putting the graphics card back in and re-plugging the power connectors on the graphics card.
January 20, 2013 10:01:40 AM

Nothing again :/ 
January 20, 2013 10:15:34 AM

Ok, so I opened the computer (for the millionth time) to see the status of the graphic card while the computer is working.
First, when I turn on the pc, the GC fan does a huge noise (that that huge, but you can hear it pretty well), but it stops some seconds later. The fan doesn't stop working, but the noise just disappears, completely. But about a minute or two later, the fan starts working again with that huge noise and that's when the pc crashes. But when it crashes, the GC fan doesn't stop working... So I don't know if it is a GC problem or its another thing...
a b U Graphics card
January 20, 2013 3:12:43 PM

For sure the graphics card/PSU. Maybe you just got a faulty PSU.
!