Evga 660ti vs Msi 660ti vs Evga 660

coreempulse

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013
Hi everyone, I am buying the parts for my first computer build tomorrow :D
anyway I was looking to buy a Msi 660ti twin frozr, but the store I was looking at no longer has that card in stock. I was wondering what you guys thought about

MSI Card
http://www.microcenter.com/product/402992/N660Ti_PE_2GD5-OC_NVIDIA_GeForce_GTX_660_Ti_Twin_Frozr_IV_Power_Edition_OC_2048MB_GDDR5_PCIe_30_x16_Video_Card

A) Evga 660ti superclocked
http://www.microcenter.com/product/397990/02G-P4-3662-KR_NVIDIA_GeForce_GTX_660_Ti_Superclocked_Edition_2048MB_GDDR5_PCIe_30_x16_Video_Card
and
B) Evga 660 ftw sig 2
http://www.microcenter.com/product/401989/NVIDIA_GeForce_GTX_660_FTW_Signature2_2048MB_GDDR5_PCIe_30_x16_Video_Card

Reason I ask is I was wondering if evga had better characteristics than msi

Solution
D
EVGA cards have the best warranty and customer service in the business. I don't think they have lifetme warranties anymore but I believe the warranty still covers overclocking, overvolting and aftermarket cooling. I would get the EVGA 660 Ti Superclocked. The 660 Ti is quite a bit faster than the vanilla 660.

The MSI card will likely overclock a bit better than the EVGA due to the cooler design but the EVGA will exhaust hot air outside your case while the MSI will not. By a bit better I mean just a little better as none of these cards are great overclockers. The EVGA starts with a nice factory overclock anyway.
Aug 13, 2012
The GTX 660 is a weaker version of the GTX 660 Ti. The MSI card will have better everything, cooling, overclocking, you name it. But it is an open air design meaning that the heat will be expelled into your case and not out your case, if you don't have good airflow already, which you should, get the EVGA one. With this being said I would get the MSI GTX 660 Ti ANY DAY. Another thing to note is that MSI overvolted the GTX 660 Ti cards. It should still be safe.

D

Deleted member 217926

EVGA cards have the best warranty and customer service in the business. I don't think they have lifetme warranties anymore but I believe the warranty still covers overclocking, overvolting and aftermarket cooling. I would get the EVGA 660 Ti Superclocked. The 660 Ti is quite a bit faster than the vanilla 660.

The MSI card will likely overclock a bit better than the EVGA due to the cooler design but the EVGA will exhaust hot air outside your case while the MSI will not. By a bit better I mean just a little better as none of these cards are great overclockers. The EVGA starts with a nice factory overclock anyway.

Solution

Tom Burnqest

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012
Msi and EVGA are very solid. I have never owned an Msi GPU however I have Owned umpteen EVGA cards all the way from way back in the day until current as my GTX 560 is from EVGA and you no what i have never had a single issue with EVGA graphics cards\ and they have stellar build quality which is why i keep coming back after all these years.

D

Deleted member 217926

I also should disclose I have been buying EVGA since the 6600GT days ( 2002 ). However I have no problems at all recommending other brands. Also when a brand has an issue I will point it out even if it's a brand I use ( like EVGA not overclocking as well as MSI ).

bdso

Honorable
Jan 10, 2013
i personally have the asus 660ti overclocked

http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/GTX660_TIDC2O2GD5/

and by or boy is it good, speeds through games, very very cool, doesnt expell heat like the msi, and has good clock speeds

hope that helps

b

In the time one would hold onto a card I would imagine that there warranty is more then sufficient. There warranties int he states are 3 years but you can buy the extra 2 years for 15 dollars. Which in turn also gives you the option to participate in their Step up Program where you are able to upgrade to a better card. I would also take a look at some other cards tiger direct is great but prices are better elsewhere to.

Pcpartpicker pulls prices from a bunch of different sites. newegg, ncix, macmall, tigerdirect, microcenter in short you can find things cheaper. I believe you get a better representation of cards through this site.
http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/video-card/#r=2048&c=114,113&sort=a5

Now I would say that if you are looking for a card to last to have a card that will 1. give you a good security package if things are to go wrong that you are left taken care of with EVGA. I would get a good cooling solution from them though because there reference cooler sometimes won't cut the mustard maybe a signature 2 card because there reference coolers aren't all that amazing.

The other card maker that I would recommend would be ASUS I would recommend there DirectcuII cards they are very quiet they run very cool and have a very nice aesthetic feel to them. For the price of the other cards you were looking at I found a ASUS card on newegg for $279.99 after rebate and after dealing with ASUS in the rebate department I can tell you that they are fairly fast with there rebates.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121653&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

I'll show you a video of a 670 asus card and you can tell me what you think I will also link a msi power edition card as well.

Now let me preface and say that in the defense of the MSI card the startup is louder because the first 30 seconds of a boot are the fans spinning in reverse to get rid of dust left on the card the card does then turn back and spin the right way and does run a bit [flash=560,315]http://www.youtube.com/v/FiU2IXfKjfo?hl=en_US&version=3[/flash]quieter.

And the ASUS DirectcuII comparison
[flash=560,315]http://www.youtube.com/v/Pmv8sigAd-w?hl=en_US&version=3[/flash]

As that may be anort. The benchmarks through ANAND are a little dated from November prior to driver updates and such. And what once was a overpriced card in the 660Ti the 660Ti is become over time more and more a great value for those who aren't really ready to take the lunge for a high end card your 670's your 7970's but want a great card in general.

D

Deleted member 217926

Are you drinking or something because that's the longest most rambling post I have seen in a long time. I have read it twice and still can't see how it applies to this thread really.

And I was directly replying to a question from the OP.

I'm sorry when I respond to people on the forums I feel they deserve a bit more then a two sentence response thanks! I was explaining a few things I'll break it down since reading isn't your strong suite.

1. I was explaining that the pricing of the cards he was looking at could be found elsewhere for cheaper.

2. I was also explaining how where MSI may be a decent option, however it would also be decent to look at ASUS.

3. I also went into detail about EVGA and what they have to offer.
1. there warranty program
a. how that leads into the step it up program ( you can't step up a card without buying the extra 2 years on a warranty)

4. I also went into acoustics of the card.

5. Get over yourself I wanted to help him more then a short response.

D

Deleted member 217926

Reading not my strong suite ;)

I was explaining that the pricing of the cards he was looking at could be found elsewhere for cheaper.

Incomplete poorly structured sentence. The correct way to say that is " The cards he was looking at could be found cheaper elsewhere.

I was also explaining how where MSI may be a decent option it would also be decent to look at ASUS as a aftermarket cooler company.

Fail number 2. how where Really? They teach you that in grammar class? Also using decent twice in the same sentence as a modifier?

there warranty program

Fail 3. Learn the difference between "there" ( denotes places ) and 'their' ( denotes ownership ).

I also went into acoustics of the card.

Fail 4. Forget a 'the' before acoustics? Even better would be ' the acoustics profile' of the card.

Get over yourself I wanted to help him more then a short response.

You of course meant here 'more than a short response would' making that a proper sentence, correct?

If you are going to talk crap you at least have to do it correctly. :sol:

look at you something longer then 2 sentences maybe you should print this out and hand it to mommy to put on her fridge she would be so proud.

I took time to write down my thoughts to help him. You turn it around and make it something personal.

Grammar may not be my strong suite and often times I do go back and correct the mistakes I make through editing. However I don't know how my grammatical mistakes have anything to do with assisting this man.

Tom Burnqest

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012

OCing might be less on the EVGA cards but i will reiterate I have never had an issue with EVGA cards since my first one which was an EVGA 6800GS. Also EVGA has factory OCed models to choose from SC SSC FTW FTW+ and the ultimate Classy Edition you know what if you need more power just buy a faster card IMO.

No I do agree with you Tom. I would go further into saying that if you were to get a EVGA card and wanted a better cooler that your best options would be the signature 2 cards or there water blocked cards. Otherwise you would look elsewhere to the other card manufactures who make better cooling solution cards, which are quieter, and run cooler.