Recently upgraded graphics cards, faulty ports?

zparsons

Honorable
Jan 19, 2013
Hi,
I recently upgraded to a NVIDIA geforce GTX 650 Ti (windows 7), which doesn't have VGA ports it has 2 DVI. When I first got it I didn't even have an adapter for it then I bought one (which is the correct one 110% sure) but when I plugged it in the No Signal notification went away, but nothing displays. So I have a black screen. Naturally I tested to make sure the monitor works, it does. I switched the monitors around and I get the same problem with the other monitor which made me think it was a setting of some sort. It has all the correct settings(that I know of), Extended display, 60 Hertz. It's making me think there's a hardware problem but I wanted to see if there was any other option before I go and get a new graphics card (again). Thanks in advance.

Okay, so I'm a little confused so you used your computer on a different display device and it worked but with this card you have that you had to buy a dvi to vga adapter for it wasn't working correct? Also, both displays are working I take it then its just the extended display issue?

zparsons

Honorable
Jan 19, 2013

Umm, my old graphics card ran both monitors fine, but after I upgraded I got the problem. When I use different styles of dual display it only shows on 1 monitor

zparsons

Honorable
Jan 19, 2013

How would I check?

In the back of your monitor? There is also HDMI, and Display Port which the Image does not show.

rear.jpg

zparsons

Honorable
Jan 19, 2013

Well, I had the some problem on my other monitor... But it's possible that it's just as old. And my computer is recognizing it, and I can move my cursor across the screens, I just can't see it when it gets there

Yea I would say honestly upgrade your monitor at this point. Now I don't know what your budget is at the moment or how much you are wanting to spend but I would say you could get a excellent monitor in the 100-150 dollar mark and be just fine. I feel your experience would be better and that the picture would be far superior then a VGA connection which I just about completely phased out of any graphic cards and monitors. There are some that still come with them. Mine does but mine is a freak it has everything HDMI, DVI, VGA, and Display Port pretty crazy stuff.

zparsons

Honorable
Jan 19, 2013

What kind would you recommend?

Well I would recommend ASUS monitors. They have been putting out amazing monitors for a while now. I would of recommended Dell prior to seeing how there customer service was but lately ASUS all the way them and Samsung (which are a bit more expensive). I will find a few monitors for comparison for you in different ranges. I have only really suggested 1080p screens because at this point anything less is really not worth the money.

This is a great monitor at the 150 dollar range you may consider
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236100
This is what I use. I like it because it has a stand. Which enables me to adjust height and I can rotate it as well which would come in use if you were to use more then one screen in portrait.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236292&Tpk=pb238q

I would say at the 100 dollar range that Acer makes amazing monitors. Here is one that you may find a good find as well.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009442

zparsons

Honorable
Jan 19, 2013

Alright, thanks a lot. I'll save them for next month and see what I can do then.

Most modern GPUs come with one DVI-I port and one DVI-D port, and only provide ONE analog signal. DVI-D Ports do not have pins to pass the analog signal. Adapters ONLY work on the DVI-I port and you can only run ONE VGA monitor, unless you buy a card specifically designed to run more

If you have a display port connection you should be able to use an active display port to VGA adapter to drive the second.

With the 650Ti's I don't see one with a display port adapter but I had forgotten they work off the same connection vga and display port. In your opinion though unskol would you advise him into a new monitor as a good future investment especially with a modern graphics card.