The sims deluxe cd rom problems

Hello, i have been having trouble with one of the sims games, i can install
the game fine, but when i try to play it all i get is an error saying please
insert correct cd rom, even though the disc is in the drive, i have been onto
ea games help section and tried everything they suggest, but the games still
wont run, the only thing i havent managed to do is find 32 bit cd rom drivers
for windows xp, that is the only thing that i havent adjusted but maybe the
cause of the problem according to ea games, i have checked to see if my
system meets the spec to run the game, and it does, i even tried installing
it on my girlfriends pc and the same thing happens, and hers meets the spec
for running the game aswell, so where can i get 32 bit windows xp cd rom
drivers (instead of the 16 dos drivers) and why wont the sims run on my pc ?
any help gratefully received
Danny.
2 answers Last reply
More about sims deluxe problems

    Hi Danny,

    I'm sure that if you double-click on your CD Player in Device Manager
    (Start / Control Panel / System / Hardware), click on the Drivers Tab,
    and then click on the Driver Details... button, you'll find that your drivers
    are located in the System32 folder, indicating that they are indeed 32 bit.

    Before we begin troubleshooting the issue, if you have more than one
    DISC player (CD/DVD/CDRW/DVDR/ETC) in your system, I've seen
    this type of problem resolved by simply using the other DISC player. :-)

    Here are some other more involved solutions which have worked:

    1. Before we begin, please save a restore point for your system.
    How to use Windows XP System Restore:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/gethelp/systemrestore.asp

    2. You might be affected by problems similar to the Insert CD error.
    - Try the advice and DL at: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=228985
    Another trick that I found sometimes works is to make the limited account an
    administrator account and run that game once. This should create the registry
    settings and permissions for that user to be able to properly run the game.

    3. Kazaa or Kazaa light is installed on your system.
    - Uninstall the game(s) and Kazaa, and reinstall from original CD.

    4. Multiple CD drives on your system including Virtual CD drives.
    - Disconnect all but the main CD drive and try the game. You
    might have an older drive, or a CD Writer which is incompatible
    with the Safe Disk copy protection on the CD. (Contact Vendor).

    5. Your antivirus or application firewall might be conflicting with it.
    - Disable the software temporarily.

    6. There might be a patch available for your game to correct the issue.
    - Try www.avault.com/pcrl/patches_list.asp?letter=a/ or the game's site.

    7. Your desktop may need to be set at least 800x600 and 16 colors.
    - Click Start / (Settings) Control Panel / Click Display

    8. Your Video, Sound, or Monitor drivers may need updating.
    - Try updating your Video drivers using the instructions at:
    http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/Video.html#drivers

    9. To see if it's a software conflict: Temporarily disable Startup
    programs one at a time, starting with Firewall, Antivirus, and ad
    blockers using this utility: http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml
    or this method: http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.php

    10. If you created other drive letters on your system by installing another drive,
    creating partitions or virtual drives you may need to change the CD back
    to the same drive letter it was originally. Usually the CD uses the letter D:
    - Click Start / Run / type: diskmgmt.msc < to access the tool to change it.

    11. Maybe a Microsoft Security patch is the culprit. The only way to be sure is
    to Unplug from your Internet connection, and then repair Windows using
    this method: http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

    After you reboot, try the game again. If it works, save a new restore point.

    Lastly, boot up your system, turn on your XP Internet Firewall, plug back
    into your Internet connection and install all Critical and Recommended updates
    from: http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com one at a time. Test the game after
    each update to find which is causing the game not to start on your PC. :-)

    --
    Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

    "Danny" <madgnome75@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message news:1187ADCD-51D9-41B3-AD09-47F2611375DB@microsoft.com...
    | Hello, i have been having trouble with one of the sims games, i can install
    | the game fine, but when i try to play it all i get is an error saying please
    | insert correct cd rom, even though the disc is in the drive, i have been onto
    | ea games help section and tried everything they suggest, but the games still
    | wont run, the only thing i havent managed to do is find 32 bit cd rom drivers
    | for windows xp, that is the only thing that i havent adjusted but maybe the
    | cause of the problem according to ea games, i have checked to see if my
    | system meets the spec to run the game, and it does, i even tried installing
    | it on my girlfriends pc and the same thing happens, and hers meets the spec
    | for running the game aswell, so where can i get 32 bit windows xp cd rom
    | drivers (instead of the 16 dos drivers) and why wont the sims run on my pc ?
    | any help gratefully received
    | Danny.
  2. Hello Im having the same error message but I purchased the game from the EA online store and chose to electronically download it... it keeps asking me to insert the original cd/dvd as well but there was no cd to begin with... ive tried contacting service support but the idiots wont even reply to the inquiries anyone know whats up with this?

Sims Games CD-Rom Windows XP