Looking to build a gaming pc on about a $750 after rebates budget help

krannurak

Honorable
Mar 9, 2013
Hey guys, i'm a college student on a budget, i just got into pc gaming and my laptop just doesn't cut it, what parts can you guys recommend for my build?

jtenorj

Distinguished
That's all well and good if you happen to live near a microcenter. If not, here are some alternatives:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 970 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($102.82 @ Compuvest)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper TX3 54.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2P Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($49.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Kingston Blu Red Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($43.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($55.57 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 XT 2GB Video Card ($234.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Antec Three Hundred Two ATX Mid Tower Case ($61.17 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($91.17 @ Amazon)
Total: $735.66
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-03-09 19:13 EST-0500)

CPU is listed as a basic oem part(w/o cooler), but it's an unlocked black edition. You'll use another cooler, anyway.
Cooler is a penny more at amazon or newegg with free shipping.
Mobo will let you push that unlocked cpu on that cooler. Overclocking will help you avoid a cpu bottleneck.
High quality ram. A tad slow, but decent latency and heat spreaders. You won't notice a lack of speed while gaming.
Good quality HDD with decent speed. Not a ton of capacity, but plenty for OS/apps/a bunch of games.
Great bang for the buck graphics card. Should do 1080p with high to max settings in most games at a playable frame rate.
Great features on this case for the price.
Excellent power supply for this rig.
A dvd burner for installing windows and games/programs on disk. If you can get an OS on a flash drive and download the apps you'll use and games you'll play, you don't need this part.
A new copy of windows(if you need one. College students may be eligible for a free copy).

Total is a little over 750 before rebates and a little under 750 after rebates.

If you don't need to purchase a copy of windows, you can sink that money into something like a Sapphire hd7970 for 359.99 or more storage. You could even spring for an ssd like a samsung 840 120GB. These parts are what I'd get on this budget(if I already had a decent monitor. Already have a decent keyboard and mouse). Make what you will of it.