Low fps with 6950

MannyPacquiao

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011
I already made a thread on this previously but got no respones :(
Since then I have tried numerous things and still I'm suffering from low fps in all my games.

My build:
6950 2gb Sapphire (Unlocked to 6970)
Amd Phenom II 955 BE
850 watt psu
M4A79XTD EVO
2x 4gb DDR3

Currently playing Dota2, Crysis 3, and Tomb Raider.

With Dota 2 is I play it on max with v-sync on, 1080p and all. I would usually get 56-60 fps and it would never go any lower. All of a sudden its been around the 40's and dips to 25 in battles. I've also noticed a trend where I'll play and its fine. But later on in the day I start to experience lag.

I've also noticed a high range of fps in Crysis 3. In some environments it can go as high as 70. In battles it'll go down to the 20's. I have everything on low and or turned off. Except for texture quality I put it on ultra, and I'm also on 1920x1080 resolution. I've tried changing it to high, or low and it only adds 2-4 fps.

Pretty much the same thing with Tomb Raider where I have to turn most things off. But I hear there's lots of issues with this game anyway.

Currently I've overclocked my gpu and my cpu. Still nothing. Tried updating my drivers, defragging my hard drive, nothing.

Let me know if you guys have any solutions, thanks.

syrax442

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013
Could be heat issues with the overclocked gpu.. Check your temps while your graphics is running a good load. Play a video game for an hour, and tab out.. pull up your graphics hardware (catalyst control center) and check your temps. If they are high you can rma for a replacement if your still under warranty or risk adding better heat sink compound to the heatsink of your graphics processor.. (not too hard)

syrax442

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013
ccc should always work with your setup. Im betting because it doesnt work, you havnt properly installed the video drivers.. On windows 7 hit start> control panel> system> device manager, and look under video adapter, and see if it has your graphics card name, or 6900 series.. if not or if it says generic adapter, go download ccc for your specific graphics card from amd's website..

it sounds to me like you have the wrong driver, and you are only performing at a minimal level

abbadon_34

Distinguished
If CCC isn't working that's a problem. Uninstall and reinstall the 13.1 whql drivers (not beta for now). Then make sure in CCC that the settings are "use application defaults" for everything. If everything is ok you can try the lastest betas for the crysis 3 fixes, but double check the CCC after your upgrade.

edit:13.1 not 12.1

MannyPacquiao

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011

It says AMD 6900 series

Celcius?!?!?!? That is way, way, way too high. You should not be over 75 with a decent fan profile. If you were hitting 100 the fan would have been on full speed and the gpu would be throttling badly. And quite possibly damaged.

And it would.be the 13.1 drivers. NOT the 12.1. Although the 13.2 beta is great on my 6950/6970

80-95 is not at ALL normal. It shouldnt vary that much either. Especially if you turned the fan all the way up. 70 is plausible for gaming. 80-85 maybe in furmark. 95 is unacceptable unless your in a desert with no AC, and it isn't good for the card either.

It's probably overheating and throttling hence the temp swings.

MannyPacquiao

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011
What are things i can do to decrease temps. Tomb Raider no matter what settings I put I'm getting 20-30 fps, even if I put it on the lowest settings, windowed, with 1600x900 its still unplayable. I tried playing Counter Strike GO to see whether those three games are just having problems (I heard Dota2 has a memory leak issue with the server) with v-sync on I'd easily get 57-60. But I noticed random stutters going down to 40 for a couple of seconds, and its very noticeable. It happened every 10-15 seconds just like all the other games I've been playing my fps would just dip.

MannyPacquiao

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g245/oyobaka/1_zps5f8...

My temps after I closed counter strike. As you can see its at 70 C, then gradually increases to 90 C, and then back down after I close the game. If I didn't close it, it would go up to 100.

Pgooch

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012
My 6950 was doing the same thing I reseated the heatsink with some new paste and it fixed it up. Did you edit the bios to unlock the shades, or did you put a 6970 bios on it? I would start with resetting the heatsink and reverting it back to 6950 yo figure out why it's getting so hot. With stock cooler and a hefty over clock my 6950 never hit 80. Also make sure both fans are working.