Help Pc Doesnt Boot All the Time Please Respond Asap!

Status
Not open for further replies.

syrax442

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013
The pc Turns on, Lights/Hdd led, Fans, Video card fan, and Everything seems operational.

The problem is it seems to be "asleep" when i turn it on 2 out of 3 times. on the third boot, it turns on and boots (most of the time) It seems as of late, that it takes longer and longer to boot. I dont have any other computer components to allow me to remove and test, and due to my setup i have no integrated graphics.

My pc
Amd fx 6300 -
Asrock Extreme3 970 am3+ board w/ uefi bios
Pny 1600mhz cl9 8gb (2x4gb) Ddr3 ram
Diamond Radeon Hd 7850 2gb 256bit Graphics Card
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Cooler
Thermaltake Case, Lg Dvd Dl Burner,
1tb - Toshiba Hdd - (Seems to be functioning)
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
3 -22" acer Dvi monitors Setup in eyefinity 5908x1980 resolution

When it was running, memtest, hdd test, Video/mobo tests all came back good, Dunno why it doesnt always post, but it is a huge pain in the A$$ And sometimes it just wont boot.

syrax442

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013
What about it? When it runs it runs great.. doesnt ever get above 25% while gaming and encoding.. Just doesnt always post think i should try more heatsink compound? dont think the psu would be a major issue if it runs fine most of the time?

syrax442

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013
I just replaced the heatsink compound.. And once again, didnt boot first and second time, but on the third.. booted right up , entered bios.. I reset defualts just to make sure, since the extreme3 board doesnt natively support 1600mhz ram, i had the speed overclocked to 1600mhz up from 1333 native support.. Figured hell, ill lose a few mhz frequency to get this thing to boot everytime
.. Checked bios revision.. 1.70 which is the latest.. No updates from that on asrocks website, Reseated everything, unplugged hdd, checked cables and replugged.. Removed heatsink and cpu, checked pins.. They are perfect, added new artic silver 5 thermal compound, spread with credit card, Thin but enough to cover chip..added hyper 212 evo cooler, turned cross corner at 1 turn per corner until tight as to not damage the processor ... Im just lost.. Dunno what to look for.. everything seems tip top, just doesnt post till the 3rd boot.. This pc cant be sold to a customer until it boots properly!

TenPc

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
Please state the make and model (and total output) of the PSU even if it isn't the problem that you think, it could actually the sole sole culprit.

"doesnt natively support 1600mhz ram, i had the speed overclocked to 1600mhz up from 1333 native support" ...not a fix, just a quicker way to fry the ram...

Overclocking also uses more power, you need to SPECIFY the TOTAL output of the PSU...

TenPc

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
Also, is the Toshiba hdd a 3.5inch hdd? Where did you get it, from an external hdd casing? Not sure whether Toshiba actually provide internal hdd for PC;s, Toshiba put a hidden partition on their drives which might be causing the problem.

syrax442

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013
total output is coolermaster 600w, It is a semi Modular power supply from micro center, The ram is natively 1600mhz, The board only supports native 1333, but has an easy 1 button solution to 1600mhz via the uefi bios. It technically overclocked, but shouldnt fry the ram, as i said.. the computer is running at the moment, and runs perfectly and passes all test perfectly. When gaming it supports high framerates, and runs smoothly. the toshiba hdd is a 1tb 7200 rpm, 6gbps oem version from microcenter, they have a big box of them, all in sealed packaging, but missing the box. It operates great as well as long as the computer turns on.

As i said, im not new to diagnostics, but this thing is putting me through the ringer, Ive dropped the ram oc to 1333 native support, reset all bios, checked drivers for everything, reseated everything, including cpu, checked and tried different modular plugs on the psu incase there are multiple rails, to try and pull power from one rail for the cpu, and other rail for the gpu.. nothing helps, it only starts up every 3rd boot.. very odd, did a little research, and some people say it could be psu, others say there computer had this odd intermittent problem, and it was caused by an unknown source and worked itself out eventually? Dunno.. just cant sleep till i figure this out.. its been 3 days

syrax442

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013
For those whove read this topic and are having similar troubles, Today i finally fixed it. After hours on end of searching for a solution, a simple cmos jumper, and boot solved the issue. It seems that the first bios defualt wasnt quite enough to reset the cmos, and the second jumper change, boot, reset jumper and reboot solved the hard to boot issue, and now allows me to boot every single time.

With fingers crossed, i hope my problems will help others out!

Status
Not open for further replies.