Sign in with
Your question

Radeon only works with television through dvi to hdmi converter.

January 20, 2013 6:53:55 AM

Weird issue that originated with my Sapphire Radeon 7970 oc through a HDMI connection. Basically and very randomly my television would lose the signal and state that the resolution was not supported. This sometimes would be followed by my gpu fan running at 100% speed. Vary rarely I could alt tab out of this issue if I was in game but if this happend at desktop then it was a hard lock that would require power reset. This could happen in game, at desktop, in bios or in safe mode. I went through just about every troubleshooting step I could think of to resolve this including driver cleaning then reinstall, full reinstall of windows, reseating the card several times in different slots, MB bios upgrades. Finally I was at the end of my rope and was consideing a rma when I finally thought of purchasing a dvi cable then using a dvi to hdmi adapter. I run my audio through a Asus Xonar DX to a vizio 510 so I didn't need the sound capabilities of hdmi anyway. Happy to say this did fix my issue. Still I'm really curious if anyone has any idea why this would happe. Here's my specs.

Intel i5-3570k
Asrock Extreme 4 mb
Sapphire Radeon 7970 OC
Asus Xonar DX sound card
Corsair 850tx power supply
My television is a Samsung PN51D550 3Dplasma.

Like I said the issue is fixed at least to my satisfaction but I still can't help feeling uneasy about such a basic connection having that type of issues. Especially with DVi to HDmi working without issue. Any thoughts by you fine folks out there is much appreciated.
!