Nvidia 680 Any good ?

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Nvidia
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 20, 2013 8:38:41 AM

haven't used nvidia cards too much and was wondering what the card was like. i have only had on Nvidia card before.

More about : nvidia 680 good

a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
January 20, 2013 9:27:19 AM

You must be talking about GTX680?
Its a Beast, Maxes out every game @ 1080p
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
January 20, 2013 10:32:34 AM

with that price you should not be doubting the card
Related resources
January 20, 2013 4:47:13 PM

nah just wanting to be sure. atm i'm using a amd 5870 1gb and to honest from what i've heard about Nvidia and the cards and software i think its a great card where as amd the software is mediocre and the card is good but that kind of wrecks the card if the software isn't up to scratch. plus most importantly any time i ask online 90% of the people who answer only mention AMD cards so i just wanted to be sure before i got anything.

a b U Graphics card
January 20, 2013 4:49:21 PM

mcds said:
nah just wanting to be sure. atm i'm using a amd 5870 1gb and to honest from what i've heard about Nvidia and the cards and software i think its a great card where as amd the software is mediocre and the card is good but that kind of wrecks the card if the software isn't up to scratch. plus most importantly any time i ask online 90% of the people who answer only mention AMD cards so i just wanted to be sure before i got anything.

Nice laptop specs.

good, i run skyrim too and its hell trying to get the mods u want without the game micro-stuttering and i have good system. well i need more ram and a new graphics card of course but still good.

if you got a ton of mods for skyrim... you might want to go with the 4GB GTX 680 version. I've had several friends go past the 2GB vram usage when they heavily mod skyrim lol.
January 20, 2013 4:59:47 PM

I would recommend getting a GTX 670 and overclocking it instead of a GTX 680.
a b U Graphics card
January 20, 2013 5:16:21 PM

The 680 can max out any game in 1080p. Other cards that can max out every game in 1080p: 660ti(Mostly), 7950, 670, 7970, 7970 ghz. There is one thing in common about all of these cards, they are all cheaper than the 680, a few of them are more powerful as well.
This chart is up to date as of 2 days ago
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-car...
it puts the 7970ghz over the 680 and is cheaper. Those prices for the 680 didn't even look that good IMO.
a b U Graphics card
January 20, 2013 5:17:10 PM

Also, if you actually would like to stay with AMD, you could go for the 3gb AMD Radeon HD 7970 and try to overclock it a little bit. It will actually outperform the gtx 680 for less money (but it does produce more heat and use more power).

I still like nvidia cards more anyways, (and think you could try getting a 4gb gtx 670 vs 4gb gtx 680) I just wanted to make sure you knew about AMD's top option.
a c 302 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
January 20, 2013 5:40:36 PM

mcds said:

Most people recommend what they themselves have already bought. It is human nature.

At any price point, AMD and Nvidia cards are competitive. There will be differences depending on the games.
But those differences will not be noticed in actual gameplay.
Also, there may be differences in consistency of response times which can be more annoying than benchmark FPS numbers.

The 5870 was my first big graphics card, and it worked well. I was not so comfortable with the drivers, but really, everything worked well enough for me.
I was an early adopter of the GTX680. Yes, I paid too much for it back then, but I have no regrets. It too has worked well.

Since the GTX670 was announced, I think a superclocked version would be a better buy if the $70-$100 price difference is very important to you.
a b U Graphics card
January 20, 2013 5:58:16 PM

bishopi5 said:
best single gpu on the market

this is an ignorant statement and should be ignored.
January 20, 2013 6:30:16 PM

mcds said:

What software catchup? AMD software isn't that different from nVidia's, except for physx and stuff. Both companies' drivers have their ups and downs.

GTX 680 is overpriced compared to Radeon hd 7970 ghz, which in general is cheaper and faster. However, I heard it just recieved a price cut so compare the prices of cards around your location and pick the best.

HD 7970ghz>GTX680, 670(almost a 680)
January 20, 2013 7:12:01 PM

I agree, the 680 is way to overpriced. You can get a 7970 ghz, which is now much faster, for something like 50 dollars cheaper.
But if you insist on nvidia, get a 670. Overclock it, and beat a normal 680. The 680 is way to overpriced for the specs.
a c 109 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
January 20, 2013 7:55:01 PM

What's with the negative thumbs?
He said if the 680 gtx was a good card, not if it was better than a 7970 ghz edition, it's a good card for 1080p/1440p, the value though, it's another story, the 670 gtx for nvidia high-end single gpu cards proves to be the best value, it's undeniable.
As for the 7970, i'd seen many recently with voltage locked, it seems a move to people buy the 7970 ghz edition, and yes in benchmarks the 7970 ghz is better than the 680 gtx.
But as for the question on the thread, it's obviously a good card.
January 20, 2013 8:14:01 PM

forgot to mention it was the bog standard version of the 5870, no sapphire or msi just amd
a c 109 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
January 20, 2013 8:23:57 PM

Both are terrible overpriced, if you want a 7970 GHZ edition, get the standard 7970 GHZ edtion with 3GB vapor-x sapphire...

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/3gb-sapphire-radeon-hd-7...

If you want a nvidia card : http://www.scan.co.uk/products/2gb-msi-gtx-670-power-ed...(x16)-6008mhz-gddr5-gpu-1019mhz-boost-1079mhz-plusfree

If you still want a 680 gtx : http://www.scan.co.uk/products/2gb-evga-gtx-680-sc-sign...
January 20, 2013 8:27:19 PM

djangoringo said:
Both are terrible overpriced, if you want a 7970 GHZ edition, get the standard 7970 GHZ edtion with 3GB vapor-x sapphire...

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/3gb-sapphire-radeon-hd-7...

If you want a nvidia card : http://www.scan.co.uk/products/2gb-msi-gtx-670-power-ed...(x16)-6008mhz-gddr5-gpu-1019mhz-boost-1079mhz-plusfree

If you still want a 680 gtx : http://www.scan.co.uk/products/2gb-evga-gtx-680-sc-sign...

would that be enough memory the vapor x version to run a heavily modded skyrim plus more importantly the Rome 2 total war.

which is due out at the end of the year and most likely more power hungry than its predecessor
a c 135 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
January 20, 2013 8:33:26 PM

From what I remember bigmac telling me who is a poster on the forums he doesn't notice any real difference between the two. Skyrim he says is a odd game it will use whatever resources you can throw at it. I would say if you get a 7970 the vapor-x is the way to go its actually a ghz edition card but also the components on the card are superior to the regular edition cards from Sapphire I don't know from the other companies what they use.

Quote:
Black Diamond Choke & Full Solid Cap Design

Choke is an important component of the graphics card. By working with the component engineer, Sapphire’s patent pending choke is 10% cooler and offers 25% more power efficiency than a normal choke. The graphics card will be more reliable and save energy.

Improved reliability and better overclocking are possible by using only high-polymer, aluminum capacitors which posses far superior characteristics than regular aluminum capacitor for a longer product life. When operational temperatures drop by 20°C, the product life span is extended by a factor of ten, when the operational temperature increases by 20°C, the product life span only decreases by 10%.

That is from Sapphire.
a c 109 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
January 20, 2013 8:37:49 PM

mcds said:
would that be enough memory the vapor x version to run a heavily modded skyrim plus more importantly the Rome 2 total war.

which is due out at the end of the year and most likely more power hungry than its predecessor

2GB is plenty even for skyrim with heavy mods, for now 2GB or 3GB is more than enough, only if you have a setup of triple monitors, even then, most reviews points out that 2GB is suffice.
January 20, 2013 8:58:47 PM

thanks for the responses. i think i'll go for the amd sapphire vapor x 3gb version
a c 135 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
January 20, 2013 9:06:12 PM

I think you would be quite happy with the card. A 680 is not a good value a 7970 ghz is a far wiser investment good plan sir.
January 20, 2013 9:08:09 PM

cbrunnem said:
this is an ignorant statement and should be ignored.

Well it is true that the GTX 680 is the fastest single card from nvidia but in fact it is second to AMDs Radeon HD 7970.
a c 135 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
January 20, 2013 9:12:21 PM

I would say that isn't exactly all correct the 680 is in ways faster then the 7970. However when you throw in the overclock ghz edition it changes.
January 20, 2013 9:14:05 PM

bigshootr8 said:
Skyrim he says is a odd game it will use whatever resources you can throw at it.

It's not an odd game it's just that there is a huge modding community for Skyrim and when loaded up with heavy duty texture packs and other graphical mods it starts really adding up. Vanilla Skyrim will run just fine on 1gb Vram.

a c 135 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
January 20, 2013 9:15:17 PM

I'm just saying based on what I was being told that it will use the ram you have whether it needs to or not is basically what I was told which is what I find odd about it.
January 20, 2013 9:21:53 PM

bigshootr8 said:
I'm just saying based on what I was being told that it will use the ram you have whether it needs to or not is basically what I was told which is what I find odd about it.

Na Vanilla Skyrim is pretty light on the resources really. I think I run around 800mb of Vram used in Skyrim @ 1050P
a b U Graphics card
January 20, 2013 9:50:49 PM

mcds said:
haven't used nvidia cards too much and was wondering what the card was like. i have only had on Nvidia card before.

Its a beast card but if you can wait a few months the 780 will be out thats what im waiting for and i have the 660ti
a b U Graphics card
January 20, 2013 10:20:12 PM

Tom Burnqest said:
Well it is true that the GTX 680 is the fastest single card from nvidia but in fact it is second to AMDs Radeon HD 7970.

exactly
January 21, 2013 8:13:04 PM

determinologyz said:
Its a beast card but if you can wait a few months the 780 will be out thats what im waiting for and i have the 660ti

won't be getting the new graphics card till June/July time cause of uni so i will be looking at the new cards released like the 780. it seems like their finally upgrading the bit from 256bit to 384bit according to the rumors. atm it seems like it will be the amd card but i'm going to wait and see if anything improves or moves from amd to nvidia.
a b U Graphics card
January 21, 2013 8:15:20 PM

mcds said:
won't be getting the new graphics card till June/July time cause of uni so i will be looking at the new cards released like the 780. it seems like their finally upgrading the bit from 256bit to 384bit according to the rumors

Nice yea man im glad to see things is changing and im upgrading as well hopefully to a 780 or 770..Im not doing a 760ti thats for sure
January 21, 2013 8:22:19 PM

yeah looking forward to June time to get away from uni and to get a new graphics card and some more ram. hope u get the card u want.
January 21, 2013 11:01:26 PM

Get msi. I have msi gtx 680 pe ox to 1230 cools extremely well. Under load 60 mid 60 degrees tops fans at 60 percent. Twin foster is amazing and after burner is easy to use as well. Heard Asus is good too but love my msi
a b U Graphics card
January 21, 2013 11:03:51 PM

maucerit said:
Get msi. I have msi gtx 680 pe ox to 1230 cools extremely well. Under load 60 mid 60 degrees tops fans at 60 percent. Twin foster is amazing and after burner is easy to use as well. Heard Asus is good too but love my msi

700 series coming i wouldnt even think about buying a 600 series unless you really had to but then i can see you would be trying to sell the card when you see how the specs on the 700 will play out.. Specs will start flowing im guessing in the next few months
January 21, 2013 11:17:04 PM

Wasnt sure if you were waiting. A lot of my buddies have or had amd and say drivers are bit behind but benchmarks dont lie and they are close. Got my gtx 680 2 months ago so amd didnt announce anything then. Even then get msi amd same cooler
a c 135 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
January 22, 2013 2:04:04 AM

Either solution will do just fine whether its a 670/680 or a 7970/7970ghz you will get very similar performance unless you spend all day look at how many frames in a game you are getting you won't feel the difference. Get the card that best serves your needs and your budget. I really agree with what geo said.

geofelt said:
Most people recommend what they themselves have already bought. It is human nature.

At any price point, AMD and Nvidia cards are competitive. There will be differences depending on the games.
But those differences will not be noticed in actual gameplay.
Also, there may be differences in consistency of response times which can be more annoying than benchmark FPS numbers.

The 5870 was my first big graphics card, and it worked well. I was not so comfortable with the drivers, but really, everything worked well enough for me.
I was an early adopter of the GTX680. Yes, I paid too much for it back then, but I have no regrets. It too has worked well.

Since the GTX670 was announced, I think a superclocked version would be a better buy if the $70-$100 price difference is very important to you.
!