Reinstalling Windows 7 with new components

tim_bethany

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009
Hi there, I am going to be upgrading my pc majorly (new motherboard, CPU, psu & case)

My question is basically how should I do it?

I’m guessing I back up all my stuff, then take all my parts out and replace them with the new parts then do I put from my windows 7 disk and format my hard drive and reinstall it?

number13

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
Win7 is new enough that no one I know has done what you are going to do, next month I am replacing the MB in this computer and I have W7 Ultimatex86 and will be in the same boat as you, I'm just going to plug everything back in and see what happens

Tel864

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010

That's basically how I've done it. I recently did that on 2 different machines. On both, Windows 7 wouldn't activate online, so I chose the automated phone activation. That worked without a hitch. When you choose to do that, you'll have a screen with a bunch of numbers and a bunch of blank boxes. The automated voice will ask you how any computers this version is installed on. You'll say one, then the voice will ask you to read back all those numbers, then it will give you a lot of numbers to put in the boxes. Type those in, hit OK and you should be good to go.