Windows 8 OEM vs System Builder

Status
Not open for further replies.

ibjeepr

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2012
The FAQ seems to have some outdated information and my first thread was not conclusive so lets try putting it this way:

I build a new computer about every 2 years. In between I upgrade parts.
I want a full copy of windows that I can transfer the license to a new system when I build it.

I see 2 "Full" versions of Windows 8 and there is no longer such thing as a "Full Retail" version

Newegg sells OEM - Microsoft Windows 8 Professional 64-bit (Full Version) - OEM
Amazon sells System Builder - Windows 8 Professional System Builder DVD 64-Bit

Both are $139.99

Are they the same? If not which one is best for gamers that build new systems and want to transfer the license?

Solution
They changed the licensing for windows 8. There is only 1 license version you can buy, oem system builder. They are the same, just not being called the whole name on either site. There is no retail version. Windows 7 oem version is also called "oem system builder" and both sites call it "oem" and "system builder" again.

When you install windows, the same license agreement will come up. You don't have to do it on the site. You won't have any issues transferring it.

Why waste money on pro?
windows oem gives you one license. you can call microsoft to re use the existing license if you give them a good reason example: you had to replace your dead motherboard
retail version gives you nice packaging and oem comes with less of it aka meant for computer manufacturers

ibjeepr

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2012

As far as I can tell ther is no such thing as a retail version. Can you link it for me? Neither Newegg or Amazon sell it.

ibjeepr

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2012

Ok so here is what I'm getting from that link you provided. Please correct me if I'm missing something.

1. Microsoft is calling it "OEM System Builder" which to me means that the Newegg "OEM" and the Amazon "System Builder" are the same thing.

2. I can use the OEM System Builder on my personal computer if I go to this link Windows 8 System Builder Product--Personal Use License, fill in my name and e-mail address and check that I agree to the Personal Use License.

3. The Personal Use License is good to use on 1 personal computer and can be transfered to a new computer or sold with the old one.
"Can I transfer the software to another computer or user?
You may transfer the software to another computer that belongs to you. You may also transfer the software (together with the license) to a computer owned by someone else if a) you are the first licensed user of the software and b) the new user agrees to the terms of this agreement."

So in conclusion, I am good If I buy either the OEM from Newegg or System Builder from Amazon.

Is this correct?

They changed the licensing for windows 8. There is only 1 license version you can buy, oem system builder. They are the same, just not being called the whole name on either site. There is no retail version. Windows 7 oem version is also called "oem system builder" and both sites call it "oem" and "system builder" again.

When you install windows, the same license agreement will come up. You don't have to do it on the site. You won't have any issues transferring it.

Why waste money on pro?

Solution

ibjeepr

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2012

Excellent, thank you for the help.

I figured for the extra $40 bucks I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Plus I got the free Media center code and it only works on Pro. Not that I really use Media Center much but again, just to be safe.

goonbar79

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
1. YES. OEM version & System builder version are the same. Only "Full Retail" version is different.

3. The OEM license CANNOT be transfer to a new pc, because it is tied to the motherboard. You can change out any component EXCEPT the motherboard. HOWEVER, I have heard from many builders that they called Microsoft to transfer license with "legitimate reasons" such as dead CPU or motherboard, forcing you to change

ibjeepr

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2012

Hi, thanks for the attempt to help but here is what has been proven so far.

There is no Full Retail version of Windows 8, only the OEM System Builder version or Upgrade.

You can transfer the license.
This is straight from the Microsoft OEM System Builder Personal Use License website:

"Can I transfer the software to another computer or user?
You may transfer the software to another computer that belongs to you. You may also transfer the software (together with the license) to a computer owned by someone else if
a) you are the first licensed user of the software and
b) the new user agrees to the terms of this agreement."

unoriginal1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012

Correct for windows 7.

Wrong for windows 8.

Look it up at Microsoft's site or visit the link i posted above. Windows 8 changed the entire license agreement.

goonbar79

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008

Sorry, I didn't pay attention to the title.. I was referring to Windows 7, so that was my mistake.

Apr 28, 2013

I agree, reading the forum, he gave great info that I needed about the windows OEM that has been confusing me for 3 months.. and yeah I just came here for info great question by the way.thanks

RushNReady

Honorable
Dec 30, 2013

No full retail version ? whats this then ?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00FRAE7MU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

That's 8.1 which has retail. 8 just has oem which covers any scenario with its personal use license. This thread is before 8.1 was out and they changed the license. 8.1 doesn't have personal use under oem so retail and oem are now separate again.

RushNReady

Honorable
Dec 30, 2013

K1114 what's the best version of 8.1 to get then? As I'll be buying a copy Fri for my new build is that copy I linked ok for a build? And thanks for your info was helpful

Retail comes with both 32 bit and 64 bit and is transferable. Oem is cheaper but is only one version and not transferable. Most people just get oem because it's cheaper and you can only use one version anyways. Also if they get a new pc, they would get the new windows during that time so there is no point in transferring.

kingz_101

Honorable
Jan 25, 2014
I'm building a new pc and this is my first pc. I want to run bf4 so I'm getting windows 8. Is windows 8 system builder a download i would get when i make the computer, or is it something i would need before i put the parts together?

Status
Not open for further replies.