Lost my local call

Last response: in Home Theatre Legacy
September 26, 2004 7:54:25 AM

I've had my replayTV for about 4 years. It is a 2020 that I upgraded to 80GB
and I can't live without it. A couple of weeks ago it stopped updating and I
got messages that it was unable to make a connection. I went in to the
setup and found that the phone number it was calling is no longer available.
Now it has to make a toll call every night the phone call is almost as much
per month as the monthly subscription would be had I not opted for the
lifetime subscription.

Now I'm thinking of dumping it and switching to Direct Tivo (and in the
process dumping my cable company as well).

Anyone used Direct Tivo? Do it compare favorably with Replay?

More about : lost local call

Anonymous
September 26, 2004 2:26:14 PM

Joe Bacon wrote:

> I've had my replayTV for about 4 years. It is a 2020 that I upgraded to 80GB
> and I can't live without it. A couple of weeks ago it stopped updating and I
> got messages that it was unable to make a connection. I went in to the
> setup and found that the phone number it was calling is no longer available.
> Now it has to make a toll call every night the phone call is almost as much
> per month as the monthly subscription would be had I not opted for the
> lifetime subscription.
>
> Now I'm thinking of dumping it and switching to Direct Tivo (and in the
> process dumping my cable company as well).
>
> Anyone used Direct Tivo? Do it compare favorably with Replay?

Does your Replay offer connection via a LAN? If so you can use a few
tricks to get it to hook up via your computer and you can make sure your
computer is connected to the internet at the proper time.

Or if you use a router.... This is how you should do it anyway
Anonymous
September 26, 2004 2:58:00 PM

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 03:54:25 GMT, "Joe Bacon"
<newsgroups@joeb.mailshell.com> wrote:

>I've had my replayTV for about 4 years. It is a 2020 that I upgraded to 80GB
>and I can't live without it. A couple of weeks ago it stopped updating and I
>got messages that it was unable to make a connection. I went in to the
>setup and found that the phone number it was calling is no longer available.
>Now it has to make a toll call every night the phone call is almost as much
>per month as the monthly subscription
> would be had I not opted for the
>lifetime subscription.

What? The 2020 does not require a subscription.

The Newer Replays let you use an ethernet connection. You could use
your existing internet connection instead of making the Replay dial.

>Now I'm thinking of dumping it and switching to Direct Tivo (and in the
>process dumping my cable company as well).
>
>Anyone used Direct Tivo? Do it compare favorably with Replay?

It's limited to DirecTV only, NO A/V inputs, such as for cable. Also,
no network connection for sharing shows (like the newer Replays). You
will get a DVR that;s less versatile.

Note that some models may let you get terrestrial broadcasts (antenna)
as well, but still NO general-purpose inputs. Also, the DTV card is
required just for playing your shows.

Does DTV have local channels for where you are? It's usually limited
compared to cable. You may want to check on that. You can go to
http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/LocalChannelsAction.do and enter your
ZIP code.

As for the phone call, are you sure there's no local number available?
Check the whole list SETUP gives you. Check neighboring ZIP codes.

The Replay will try to connect every day. However, only 1 connection a
week is necessary. You could disconnect the phoneline except once a
week. Then you'd get 1/7 as many calls to pay for.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
September 26, 2004 5:54:22 PM

Note that he says he has a 2020 and that he opted for a lifetime
subscription. There is no subscription to opt for with a 2020 as
everything before the 4500 series had lifetime built in. The 2020 has
no ethernet capability.
The best choice might be to switch the long distance plan to something
less expensive. One option might be to scrap the telco and go with a
company like Vonnage or the cable provider who provides unlimited
domestic LD as part of the base rate.

From:John in Detroit
Blanked@sbcglobal.net

> Joe Bacon wrote:
>
>> I've had my replayTV for about 4 years. It is a 2020 that I upgraded
>> to 80GB and I can't live without it. A couple of weeks ago it
>> stopped updating and I got messages that it was unable to make a
>> connection. I went in to the setup and found that the phone number
>> it was calling is no longer available. Now it has to make a toll
>> call every night the phone call is almost as much per month as the
>> monthly subscription would be had I not opted for the lifetime
>> subscription. Now I'm thinking of dumping it and switching to Direct
>> Tivo (and in
>> the process dumping my cable company as well).
>>
>> Anyone used Direct Tivo? Do it compare favorably with Replay?
>>

> Does your Replay offer connection via a LAN? If so you can use a few
> tricks to get it to hook up via your computer and you can make sure
> your computer is connected to the internet at the proper time.
>
> Or if you use a router.... This is how you should do it anyway
Anonymous
September 26, 2004 5:54:23 PM

In article <iSz5d.21705$XW.21539@twister.socal.rr.com>,
"BruceR" <brNOSPAM@hawaii.com> wrote:

> Note that he says he has a 2020 and that he opted for a lifetime
> subscription. There is no subscription to opt for with a 2020 as
> everything before the 4500 series had lifetime built in. The 2020 has
> no ethernet capability.
> The best choice might be to switch the long distance plan to something
> less expensive.

I'm a newbie, and I'm straight Ethernet with my 50xx units. I don't
have any experience with the phone line setup. So, my question is: how
long per night does the files transfer take?

In-state, I'm paying 2.85 cents/minute. It would take 456 minutes at
that rate to come up to $12.99, which is what the original poster said
he figured his new phone bill could come to.

That's 15 minutes/day.

I agree, *any* phone bill would be a pain. But for my information, does
the modem transfer take more or less than 15 minutes every night?

I agree with the concept of get a flat rate phone service, provided it
makes sense otherwise.
Anonymous
September 26, 2004 8:22:41 PM

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" <elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote in message
> In article <iSz5d.21705$XW.21539@twister.socal.rr.com>,
> "BruceR" <brNOSPAM@hawaii.com> wrote:
>
>> Note that he says he has a 2020 and that he opted for a lifetime
>> subscription. There is no subscription to opt for with a 2020 as
>> everything before the 4500 series had lifetime built in. The 2020 has
>> no ethernet capability.
>> The best choice might be to switch the long distance plan to something
>> less expensive.
>
> I'm a newbie, and I'm straight Ethernet with my 50xx units. I don't
> have any experience with the phone line setup. So, my question is: how
> long per night does the files transfer take?
>
> In-state, I'm paying 2.85 cents/minute. It would take 456 minutes at
> that rate to come up to $12.99, which is what the original poster said
> he figured his new phone bill could come to.
>
> That's 15 minutes/day.
>
> I agree, *any* phone bill would be a pain. But for my information, does
> the modem transfer take more or less than 15 minutes every night?
>

> I agree with the concept of get a flat rate phone service, provided it
> makes sense otherwise.

The time it connects varies from 1 minute to up to 20 minutes. When I
checked my most recent phone bill, I found that I was being charged 7 cents
a minute. I had signed up for a 5 cents a minute plan through my local phone
company which it apparently raised without notifying me.

I switched to a plan that charges 2.9 cents / minute for in state and 2.7
for out of state. I may actually end up saving money on my overall phone
bill because of this.

I guess one of my concerns is that ReplayTV is cutting back on services
(there were 5 local numbers in my area a couple of years ago!). At what
point do they discontinue the service all together?
Anonymous
September 26, 2004 8:22:42 PM

Joe Bacon wrote:
> "Elmo P. Shagnasty" <elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote in message
>
>>In article <iSz5d.21705$XW.21539@twister.socal.rr.com>,
>>"BruceR" <brNOSPAM@hawaii.com> wrote:
>>

>>>Note that he says he has a 2020 and that he opted for a lifetime
>>>subscription. There is no subscription to opt for with a 2020 as
>>>everything before the 4500 series had lifetime built in. The 2020 has
>>>no ethernet capability.
>>> The best choice might be to switch the long distance plan to something
>>>less expensive.
>>
>>I'm a newbie, and I'm straight Ethernet with my 50xx units. I don't
>>have any experience with the phone line setup. So, my question is: how
>>long per night does the files transfer take?
>>
>>In-state, I'm paying 2.85 cents/minute. It would take 456 minutes at
>>that rate to come up to $12.99, which is what the original poster said
>>he figured his new phone bill could come to.
>>
>>That's 15 minutes/day.
>>
>>I agree, *any* phone bill would be a pain. But for my information, does
>>the modem transfer take more or less than 15 minutes every night?
>>

>>I agree with the concept of get a flat rate phone service, provided it
>>makes sense otherwise.
>>

> The time it connects varies from 1 minute to up to 20 minutes. When I
> checked my most recent phone bill, I found that I was being charged 7 cents
> a minute. I had signed up for a 5 cents a minute plan through my local phone
> company which it apparently raised without notifying me.
>
> I switched to a plan that charges 2.9 cents / minute for in state and 2.7
> for out of state. I may actually end up saving money on my overall phone
> bill because of this.
>
> I guess one of my concerns is that ReplayTV is cutting back on services
> (there were 5 local numbers in my area a couple of years ago!). At what
> point do they discontinue the service all together?

They have nothing to do with dial-in access. They contract out to the
majors for dial-up (earthlink, etc). You could check if the provider
they use has numbers that Replay does not list which are local to you.
You can ask on the replay forum on avsforums.com for people in your area
and or where to find a more comprehensive listing of access numbers. You
can also use a pc's internet connection to allow the Replay to connect.
The pc simulates a dial in connection. There are threads on this on the
forum. It is supposedly very easy to do with Linux and slightly harder
to set up with Windows.
Anonymous
September 26, 2004 8:22:42 PM

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 16:22:41 GMT, "Joe Bacon"
<newsgroups@joeb.mailshell.com> wrote:

>"Elmo P. Shagnasty" <elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote in message
>> In article <iSz5d.21705$XW.21539@twister.socal.rr.com>,
>> "BruceR" <brNOSPAM@hawaii.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Note that he says he has a 2020 and that he opted for a lifetime
>>> subscription. There is no subscription to opt for with a 2020 as
>>> everything before the 4500 series had lifetime built in. The 2020 has
>>> no ethernet capability.
>>> The best choice might be to switch the long distance plan to something
>>> less expensive.
>>
>> I'm a newbie, and I'm straight Ethernet with my 50xx units. I don't
>> have any experience with the phone line setup. So, my question is: how
>> long per night does the files transfer take?
>>
>> In-state, I'm paying 2.85 cents/minute. It would take 456 minutes at
>> that rate to come up to $12.99, which is what the original poster said
>> he figured his new phone bill could come to.
>>
>> That's 15 minutes/day.
>>
>> I agree, *any* phone bill would be a pain. But for my information, does
>> the modem transfer take more or less than 15 minutes every night?
>>

>> I agree with the concept of get a flat rate phone service, provided it
>> makes sense otherwise.
>>

>The time it connects varies from 1 minute to up to 20 minutes. When I
>checked my most recent phone bill, I found that I was being charged 7 cents
>a minute. I had signed up for a 5 cents a minute plan through my local phone
>company which it apparently raised without notifying me.
>
>I switched to a plan that charges 2.9 cents / minute for in state and 2.7
>for out of state. I may actually end up saving money on my overall phone
>bill because of this.

And you could benefit by having the Replay dial an out-of-state number
(can be possible if you live near the state line). There's even
unlimited long distance calling plans.

Has anyone tried the Replay with VoIP?

>I guess one of my concerns is that ReplayTV is cutting back on services
>(there were 5 local numbers in my area a couple of years ago!). At what
>point do they discontinue the service all together?

Maybe they expect more people to have the newer Replays (with ethernet
connection), and have a local ISP.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
Anonymous
September 27, 2004 1:38:15 AM

Joe Bacon wrote:

> I switched to a plan that charges 2.9 cents / minute for in state and 2.7
> for out of state. I may actually end up saving money on my overall phone
> bill because of this.
>
> I guess one of my concerns is that ReplayTV is cutting back on services
> (there were 5 local numbers in my area a couple of years ago!). At what
> point do they discontinue the service all together?

I live in S.E. Michigan and the plan I have gives me a "local" calling
area that is .... Well.... Large, My daughter pays about five dollars a
month more than I do and her "local" calling area is,,, Well, Larger,
In fact I'd be willing to bet you are in her local calling area (If you
refer to "in-state" and "out of state" rates, you are very likely in her
local calling area, Don't matter if the state is Maine or California,
it's all local to her) Five bucks more than I pay.

But if you are using high-speed internet, DSL or Cable, and your Re-Play
is capable of it (I'm not sure of the 20xx units) why even run a phone
line to it. my 5504 does not have a telephone connection to dial out on.
Anonymous
September 27, 2004 6:34:53 AM

They are great. But DirecTV is the Devil!

"Joe Bacon" <newsgroups@joeb.mailshell.com> wrote in message
> I've had my replayTV for about 4 years. It is a 2020 that I upgraded to
80GB
> and I can't live without it. A couple of weeks ago it stopped updating and
> got messages that it was unable to make a connection. I went in to the
> setup and found that the phone number it was calling is no longer
available.
> Now it has to make a toll call every night the phone call is almost as
much
> per month as the monthly subscription would be had I not opted for the
> lifetime subscription.
>
> Now I'm thinking of dumping it and switching to Direct Tivo (and in the
> process dumping my cable company as well).
>
> Anyone used Direct Tivo? Do it compare favorably with Replay?

Anonymous
September 27, 2004 6:36:44 AM

It is my understanding that modems do not work well (if at all) on VoIP....

"Mark Lloyd" <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote in message
> On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 16:22:41 GMT, "Joe Bacon"
> <newsgroups@joeb.mailshell.com> wrote:
>
> >"Elmo P. Shagnasty" <elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote in message

> >> I'm a newbie, and I'm straight Ethernet with my 50xx units. I don't
> >> have any experience with the phone line setup. So, my question is:
how
> >> long per night does the files transfer take?
> >>
> >> In-state, I'm paying 2.85 cents/minute. It would take 456 minutes at
> >> that rate to come up to $12.99, which is what the original poster said
> >> he figured his new phone bill could come to.
> >>
> >> That's 15 minutes/day.
> >>
> >> I agree, *any* phone bill would be a pain. But for my information,
does
> >> the modem transfer take more or less than 15 minutes every night?
> >>

> >> I agree with the concept of get a flat rate phone service, provided it
> >> makes sense otherwise.
> >>

> >The time it connects varies from 1 minute to up to 20 minutes. When I
> >checked my most recent phone bill, I found that I was being charged 7
cents
> >a minute. I had signed up for a 5 cents a minute plan through my local
phone
> >company which it apparently raised without notifying me.
> >
> >I switched to a plan that charges 2.9 cents / minute for in state and 2.7
> >for out of state. I may actually end up saving money on my overall phone
> >bill because of this.
> >

> And you could benefit by having the Replay dial an out-of-state number
> (can be possible if you live near the state line). There's even
> unlimited long distance calling plans.
>
> Has anyone tried the Replay with VoIP?
>
> >I guess one of my concerns is that ReplayTV is cutting back on services
> >(there were 5 local numbers in my area a couple of years ago!). At what
> >point do they discontinue the service all together?
> >

> Maybe they expect more people to have the newer Replays (with ethernet
> connection), and have a local ISP.
>
> --
> 90 days until the winter solstice celebration
>
> Mark Lloyd
> http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
Anonymous
September 27, 2004 4:00:06 PM

Joe Bacon wrote:

About loosing his local connection for his replay unit

Joe, as I said I don't know the 20xx series at all, so I don't know if
it can get it's update info from the internet via a LAN connection
(Ethernet)

However......

Another thought... If you can set the modem to dial without a dial tone
present (ATX1DT or ATX3DT type dailing) and your COMPUTER is hooked to
the lan you can have your computer proxy the connection. I do know how
to set up a bridge where your computer makes the ethernet (high speed)
connection.

Now... The trick is getting a ring signal to the comptuer so it knows to
pick up the line in auto-answer mode. But it can be done, and for under
a hundred dollars.
Anonymous
September 27, 2004 4:00:07 PM

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 12:00:06 GMT, John in Detroit
<Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>Joe Bacon wrote:
>
>About loosing his local connection for his replay unit
>
>Joe, as I said I don't know the 20xx series at all, so I don't know if
>it can get it's update info from the internet via a LAN connection
>(Ethernet)

20xx does NOT have a LAN connection. However, there's supposed to be a
way to fool it into getting the guide from a computer. It doesn't look
easy to set up. Look at
http://s95184944.onlinehome.us/FreescoRTV/README.TXT

>However......
>
>Another thought... If you can set the modem to dial without a dial tone
>present (ATX1DT or ATX3DT type dailing) and your COMPUTER is hooked to
>the lan you can have your computer proxy the connection. I do know how
>to set up a bridge where your computer makes the ethernet (high speed)
>connection.
>
>Now... The trick is getting a ring signal to the comptuer so it knows to
>pick up the line in auto-answer mode. But it can be done, and for under
>a hundred dollars.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
Anonymous
September 27, 2004 5:33:07 PM

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 02:34:53 GMT, "CheezWiz" <cw@here.not.there>
wrote:

>They are great. But DirecTV is the Devil!

Some people have ben saying that. How do you feel about Dish Network?

Anyway, people should really consider having seperate a DVR and
satellite receiver. They's much more versatile. Consider what happens
if you switch cable/satellite providers. You'll almost certainly have
to replace that DVR.

>"Joe Bacon" <newsgroups@joeb.mailshell.com> wrote in message
>> I've had my replayTV for about 4 years. It is a 2020 that I upgraded to
>80GB
>> and I can't live without it. A couple of weeks ago it stopped updating and
>> got messages that it was unable to make a connection. I went in to the
>> setup and found that the phone number it was calling is no longer
>available.
>> Now it has to make a toll call every night the phone call is almost as
>much
>> per month as the monthly subscription would be had I not opted for the
>> lifetime subscription.
>>
>> Now I'm thinking of dumping it and switching to Direct Tivo (and in the
>> process dumping my cable company as well).
>>
>> Anyone used Direct Tivo? Do it compare favorably with Replay?

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
September 27, 2004 8:36:49 PM

This guy was playing with tricking the RTV a while ago

http://rns.prest.ca/
Anonymous
September 27, 2004 9:54:15 PM

Do you have any other links to this ? The link is only for the readme file,
i'm looking for the .zip file they are talking about...(not FreeSco)

> On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 12:00:06 GMT, John in Detroit
> <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
> >Joe Bacon wrote:
> >
> >About loosing his local connection for his replay unit
> >
> >Joe, as I said I don't know the 20xx series at all, so I don't know if
> >it can get it's update info from the internet via a LAN connection
> >(Ethernet)
> >

> 20xx does NOT have a LAN connection. However, there's supposed to be a
> way to fool it into getting the guide from a computer. It doesn't look
> easy to set up. Look at
> http://s95184944.onlinehome.us/FreescoRTV/README.TXT
>
> >However......
> >
> >Another thought... If you can set the modem to dial without a dial tone
> >present (ATX1DT or ATX3DT type dailing) and your COMPUTER is hooked to
> >the lan you can have your computer proxy the connection. I do know how
> >to set up a bridge where your computer makes the ethernet (high speed)
> >connection.
> >
> >Now... The trick is getting a ring signal to the comptuer so it knows to
> >pick up the line in auto-answer mode. But it can be done, and for under
> >a hundred dollars.
>
> --
> 89 days until the winter solstice celebration
>
> Mark Lloyd
> http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
Anonymous
September 27, 2004 10:20:32 PM

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 17:54:15 -0400, "MC Pee Pants" <mcpee@pants.com>
wrote:

>Do you have any other links to this ? The link is only for the readme file,
>i'm looking for the .zip file they are talking about...(not FreeSco)

What other .ZIP file? Are you talking about step 5? That one would be
created in step 4.

They do mention a modules package, which I suppose is the one on the
site given.

>"Mark Lloyd" <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote in message
>> On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 12:00:06 GMT, John in Detroit
>> <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>>
>> >Joe Bacon wrote:
>> >
>> >About loosing his local connection for his replay unit
>> >
>> >Joe, as I said I don't know the 20xx series at all, so I don't know if
>> >it can get it's update info from the internet via a LAN connection
>> >(Ethernet)
>> >

>> 20xx does NOT have a LAN connection. However, there's supposed to be a
>> way to fool it into getting the guide from a computer. It doesn't look
>> easy to set up. Look at
>> http://s95184944.onlinehome.us/FreescoRTV/README.TXT
>>
>> >However......
>> >
>> >Another thought... If you can set the modem to dial without a dial tone
>> >present (ATX1DT or ATX3DT type dailing) and your COMPUTER is hooked to
>> >the lan you can have your computer proxy the connection. I do know how
>> >to set up a bridge where your computer makes the ethernet (high speed)
>> >connection.
>> >
>> >Now... The trick is getting a ring signal to the comptuer so it knows to
>> >pick up the line in auto-answer mode. But it can be done, and for under
>> >a hundred dollars.
>>
>> --
>> 89 days until the winter solstice celebration
>>
>> Mark Lloyd
>> http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
Anonymous
September 28, 2004 3:54:40 AM

More Rants:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?p=127742#pos...

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?p=194191#pos...

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?p=160251#pos...

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?p=156053#pos...

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?p=155506#pos...

> On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 02:34:53 GMT, "CheezWiz" <cw@here.not.there>
> wrote:
>
> >They are great. But DirecTV is the Devil!
>
> Some people have ben saying that. How do you feel about Dish Network?
>
> Anyway, people should really consider having seperate a DVR and
> satellite receiver. They's much more versatile. Consider what happens
> if you switch cable/satellite providers. You'll almost certainly have
> to replace that DVR.
>

> >"Joe Bacon" <newsgroups@joeb.mailshell.com> wrote in message
> >> I've had my replayTV for about 4 years. It is a 2020 that I upgraded to
> >80GB
> >> and I can't live without it. A couple of weeks ago it stopped updating
and
> >> got messages that it was unable to make a connection. I went in to the
> >> setup and found that the phone number it was calling is no longer
> >available.
> >> Now it has to make a toll call every night the phone call is almost as
> >much
> >> per month as the monthly subscription would be had I not opted for the
> >> lifetime subscription.
> >>
> >> Now I'm thinking of dumping it and switching to Direct Tivo (and in the
> >> process dumping my cable company as well).
> >>
> >> Anyone used Direct Tivo? Do it compare favorably with Replay?
> >>

> --
> 89 days until the winter solstice celebration
>
> Mark Lloyd
> http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
Anonymous
September 28, 2004 4:36:12 AM

"CheezWiz" <cw@here.not.there> shaped the electrons to say:
>It is my understanding that modems do not work well (if at all) on VoIP....

It depends on the VOIP system. Vonage has different plans - if you
get one with support for a fax machine, it tends to work ok with other
modems. On the other hand people are reporting a lot of problems with
modems an Comcast digital phone service.

-MZ, RHCE #806199299900541, ex-CISSP #3762
<URL:http://www.megazone.org/&gt; <URL:http://www.eyrie-productions.com/&gt; Eris
Anonymous
September 28, 2004 4:39:51 AM

"CheezWiz" <cw@here.not.there> shaped the electrons to say:
>They are great. But DirecTV is the Devil!

Odd - to me it seems that DirecTV users are more of a cult that TiVo
or ReplayTV users. It seems like everyone who uses them tries to
convince everyone else that satellite is the way to go and DirecTV is
the savior that will turn you away from cable forever, etc...

I live in a basement apartment on the side of a hill surrounded by
trees and tall buildings. I can barely see the *sky* let alone a bird
in orbit. ;-)

Even when I move (which I plan to do), I'll probably stick with cable
and my standalone DVRs.

-MZ, RHCE #806199299900541, ex-CISSP #3762
<URL:http://www.megazone.org/&gt; <URL:http://www.eyrie-productions.com/&gt; Eris
Anonymous
September 28, 2004 7:11:41 AM

DirecTV recently pulled a "dragnet" on Piracy that was nothing more than an
extortion scheme.
They have injured many innocent people in their so called attempts to thwart
satellite hacking.
I know some people caught up in that were not satellite hackers. They will
never get my money
again for such irresponsible tactics. The lack of my revenue is my only
voice of my disgust.

DirecTV with Tivo is a great product, but it looks like they are going a new
direction. I just hope
their new direction is straight to hell... 8)

CW

"MegaZone" <newsREMOVE@THISmegazone.org> wrote in message
> "CheezWiz" <cw@here.not.there> shaped the electrons to say:
> >They are great. But DirecTV is the Devil!
>
> Odd - to me it seems that DirecTV users are more of a cult that TiVo
> or ReplayTV users. It seems like everyone who uses them tries to
> convince everyone else that satellite is the way to go and DirecTV is
> the savior that will turn you away from cable forever, etc...
>
> I live in a basement apartment on the side of a hill surrounded by
> trees and tall buildings. I can barely see the *sky* let alone a bird
> in orbit. ;-)
>
> Even when I move (which I plan to do), I'll probably stick with cable
> and my standalone DVRs.
>
> -MZ, RHCE #806199299900541, ex-CISSP #3762
> --
> <URL:mailto:megazoneatmegazone.org> Gweep, Discordian, Author, Engineer,
me.
> "A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men"
508-755-4098
> <URL:http://www.megazone.org/&gt; <URL:http://www.eyrie-productions.com/&gt;
Eris
Anonymous
September 28, 2004 10:32:09 AM

2000 & 3000 series are dial-up only - no ethernet port.

From:John in Detroit
Blanked@sbcglobal.net

> Joe Bacon wrote:
>
>> I switched to a plan that charges 2.9 cents / minute for in state
>> and 2.7 for out of state. I may actually end up saving money on my
>> overall phone bill because of this.
>>
>> I guess one of my concerns is that ReplayTV is cutting back on
>> services (there were 5 local numbers in my area a couple of years
>> ago!). At what point do they discontinue the service all together?
>
> I live in S.E. Michigan and the plan I have gives me a "local" calling
> area that is .... Well.... Large, My daughter pays about five
> dollars a month more than I do and her "local" calling area is,,,
> Well, Larger, In fact I'd be willing to bet you are in her local
> calling area (If you refer to "in-state" and "out of state" rates,
> you are very likely in her local calling area, Don't matter if the
> state is Maine or California, it's all local to her) Five bucks more
> than I pay.
> But if you are using high-speed internet, DSL or Cable, and your
> Re-Play is capable of it (I'm not sure of the 20xx units) why even
> run a phone line to it. my 5504 does not have a telephone connection
> to dial out on.
Anonymous
September 28, 2004 1:43:04 PM

MegaZone wrote:

> "CheezWiz" <cw@here.not.there> shaped the electrons to say:
>
>>It is my understanding that modems do not work well (if at all) on VoIP....
>

> It depends on the VOIP system. Vonage has different plans - if you
> get one with support for a fax machine, it tends to work ok with other
> modems. On the other hand people are reporting a lot of problems with
> modems an Comcast digital phone service.
>
> -MZ, RHCE #806199299900541, ex-CISSP #3762

I was thinking of using the computer as an interface and only running
"phone" within your house.

Another posibility so long as the Replay only calls out at
"oh-dark-thirty" (early morning) is to use a cell phone. SOME cell
phones can play nice with external modems, these do tend to be expensive

You are speed limited (usually 9600) but the cell phone can act like a
POTS line far as the RePlay is concerned. Some systems even provide
dial tone and hook sensors.

And then when you get up in the am it's your cell phone for field use

(Free nation wide long distance on most cell plans at night)
Anonymous
September 28, 2004 3:18:59 PM

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 21:38:15 GMT, John in Detroit
<Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>Joe Bacon wrote:
>
>> I switched to a plan that charges 2.9 cents / minute for in state and 2.7
>> for out of state. I may actually end up saving money on my overall phone
>> bill because of this.
>>
>> I guess one of my concerns is that ReplayTV is cutting back on services
>> (there were 5 local numbers in my area a couple of years ago!). At what
>> point do they discontinue the service all together?
>
>I live in S.E. Michigan and the plan I have gives me a "local" calling
>area that is .... Well.... Large, My daughter pays about five dollars a
>month more than I do and her "local" calling area is,,, Well, Larger,
>In fact I'd be willing to bet you are in her local calling area (If you
>refer to "in-state" and "out of state" rates, you are very likely in her
>local calling area, Don't matter if the state is Maine or California,
>it's all local to her) Five bucks more than I pay.
>
>But if you are using high-speed internet, DSL or Cable, and your Re-Play
>is capable of it (I'm not sure of the 20xx units)

All 2xxx and 3xxx units are NOT capable of using ethernet. However,
there's always that complicated setup people are talking about (that
uses a modem on a computer with a Linux program). Looks like I would
try it, it I was still using an older Replay.

> why even run a phone
>line to it. my 5504 does not have a telephone connection to dial out on.

I have 3 5xxx units (one added recently, the other 2 about a year old)
that have never had a phone connection. I use ethernet, which connects
to a cable modem. When I was using a 2020 and a 3060, I wished they
had that ability.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
September 28, 2004 3:22:32 PM

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 03:11:41 GMT, "CheezWiz" <cw@here.not.there>
wrote:

>DirecTV recently pulled a "dragnet" on Piracy that was nothing more than an
>extortion scheme.

I've been hearing a lot about that in the last couple of years.

>They have injured many innocent people in their so called attempts to thwart
>satellite hacking.
>I know some people caught up in that were not satellite hackers. They will
>never get my money
>again for such irresponsible tactics. The lack of my revenue is my only
>voice of my disgust.
>
>DirecTV with Tivo is a great product,

UltimateTV was better (not counting those so ****, they used the wrong
card slot), but still DTV-controlled.

> but it looks like they are going a new
>direction. I just hope
>their new direction is straight to hell... 8)
>
>CW
>

>"MegaZone" <newsREMOVE@THISmegazone.org> wrote in message
>> "CheezWiz" <cw@here.not.there> shaped the electrons to say:
>> >They are great. But DirecTV is the Devil!
>>
>> Odd - to me it seems that DirecTV users are more of a cult that TiVo
>> or ReplayTV users. It seems like everyone who uses them tries to
>> convince everyone else that satellite is the way to go and DirecTV is
>> the savior that will turn you away from cable forever, etc...
>>
>> I live in a basement apartment on the side of a hill surrounded by
>> trees and tall buildings. I can barely see the *sky* let alone a bird
>> in orbit. ;-)
>>
>> Even when I move (which I plan to do), I'll probably stick with cable
>> and my standalone DVRs.
>>
>> -MZ, RHCE #806199299900541, ex-CISSP #3762
>> --
>> <URL:mailto:megazoneatmegazone.org> Gweep, Discordian, Author, Engineer,
>me.
>> "A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men"
>508-755-4098
>> <URL:http://www.megazone.org/&gt; <URL:http://www.eyrie-productions.com/&gt;
>Eris

Anonymous
September 28, 2004 5:05:31 PM

Yes, step 5 mentions this "zip" file, which is the where the readme.txt you
linked to came from. Is is not created by step 4. There are other files
included with this text file, specifically, "mgetty" and
"noauth_fd.bat" -those are the ReplayTV specific access files, without those
it won't work. The site given is just a Freesco Linux app, which has nothing
to do with ReplayTV
(but you still need it to get the job done)

A search for "noauth_fd.bat" brought me to the ReplayTV Faq page, which
after some searching on that page I've found the actual link to all the
files: http://s95184944.onlinehome.us/ReplayTV.html

Hope this helps someone else, Thanks for the original link!

> On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 17:54:15 -0400, "MC Pee Pants" <mcpee@pants.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Do you have any other links to this ? The link is only for the readme
file,
> >i'm looking for the .zip file they are talking about...(not FreeSco)
> >

> What other .ZIP file? Are you talking about step 5? That one would be
> created in step 4.
>
> They do mention a modules package, which I suppose is the one on the
> site given.
>

> >"Mark Lloyd" <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote in message

> >> 20xx does NOT have a LAN connection. However, there's supposed to be a
> >> way to fool it into getting the guide from a computer. It doesn't look
> >> easy to set up. Look at
> >> http://s95184944.onlinehome.us/FreescoRTV/README.TXT

> >> --
> >> 89 days until the winter solstice celebration
> >>
> >> Mark Lloyd
> >> http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
> >

> --
> 89 days until the winter solstice celebration
>
> Mark Lloyd
> http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
Anonymous
September 28, 2004 9:58:27 PM

MegaZone wrote:

> Odd - to me it seems that DirecTV users are more of a cult that TiVo
> or ReplayTV users. It seems like everyone who uses them tries to
> convince everyone else that satellite is the way to go and DirecTV is
> the savior that will turn you away from cable forever, etc...

I can think of 2 advantages to Direct TV over Cable and Two
disadvantages as well

Pro: The city I live in charges a cable tax, I do not wish to pay the
cable tax, With direct TV you do not have cable, thus no cable tax
(Offsetting that is they charge the same as cable, after tax)

Pro: My long term plans call for living the life of the traveler, and
with Direct TV I actually can take my "cable" with me (Portable ground
receive station... Or for that matter 2-way station for data)

Con: Degraded performance during inclement weather

Con: More expensive equipment which can grow a pair of legs and walk off
in the middle of the night if not properly bolted/chained down, and
sometimes even IF bolted/chained down.
Anonymous
September 28, 2004 9:58:28 PM

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 17:58:27 GMT, John in Detroit
<Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>MegaZone wrote:
>

>> Odd - to me it seems that DirecTV users are more of a cult that TiVo
>> or ReplayTV users. It seems like everyone who uses them tries to
>> convince everyone else that satellite is the way to go and DirecTV is
>> the savior that will turn you away from cable forever, etc...
>
>I can think of 2 advantages to Direct TV over Cable and Two
>disadvantages as well
>
>Pro: The city I live in charges a cable tax, I do not wish to pay the
>cable tax, With direct TV you do not have cable, thus no cable tax
>(Offsetting that is they charge the same as cable, after tax)

You might still need cable if:

1. DirecTV does not have your local channels (reverse-overpopulation
discrimination) and an antenna doesn't work well enough for you.

2. You have cable internet, and the cable company requires you to have
the TV part too.

In either of these cases you can probably change to "budget basic" (or
whatever your cable company calls it) service that's about $10-$11 per
month. It should include everything* you can't get from DTV.

>Pro: My long term plans call for living the life of the traveler, and
>with Direct TV I actually can take my "cable" with me (Portable ground
>receive station... Or for that matter 2-way station for data)

That is an advantage of DTV. Note that what they say about requiring a
phoneline is not necessarily true. My DTV receiver has not been
connected to a phoneline in over 2.5 years. I added a second receiver
well over a year ago , and it has NEVER been connected. DTV has never
said anything, and I still get billed just $4.99 for the second
receiver. I subscribe to the movie channels, get PPV by web, and have
no sports subscriptions.

>Con: Degraded performance during inclement weather

Yes.

>Con: More expensive equipment which can grow a pair of legs and walk off
>in the middle of the night if not properly bolted/chained down, and
>sometimes even IF bolted/chained down.

I suppose it can, especially if you have one of those new integrated
multi-sat dishes that include equipment better installed inside.

* - actually "almost everything". There's actually 2 things on cable
here, that I can't get this way.

1. The local information on the weather channel (the internet makes up
for that loss).

2. The opera channel (music channel). I have no need for this,
considering I got more than a lifetime of opera when my father used to
listen to it 30 hours a day (and loud, even at night).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
Anonymous
September 29, 2004 1:44:45 PM

Mark Lloyd wrote:

> 2. The opera channel (music channel). I have no need for this,
> considering I got more than a lifetime of opera when my father used to
> listen to it 30 hours a day (and loud, even at night).

There are a couple of decent operas.... Note a couple, Not a few, but a
couple. Carmen for example is OK, I'd be hard pressed to name the other
one.

(Can you say "Not an opera fan either")

Well,,,, Once I hit the road full time local channels are not a problem,
cause every week or two they will change. DTV won't, and thankfully
most of the places I plan on parking have something that passes for
security.

Of course a good Parisian Fido might help too (Plaster of Paris
Rotweiler in attack pose with motion detector eyes and a recorded
snarl/bark. Absolutely harmless, but the bad idiots would not know till
they fell and injured themselves running away... Then they sue you for
"Vicious dog" and you tell the judge "Your honor, I have concrete proof
my dog did not attach them" Wheel in Fido on a hand cart, Knock,
knock, "As I said Your Honor, Concrete proof"
Anonymous
September 29, 2004 2:47:02 PM

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 09:44:45 GMT, John in Detroit
<Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>Mark Lloyd wrote:
>
>> 2. The opera channel (music channel). I have no need for this,
>> considering I got more than a lifetime of opera when my father used to
>> listen to it 30 hours a day (and loud, even at night).
>
>There are a couple of decent operas.... Note a couple, Not a few, but a
>couple. Carmen for example is OK, I'd be hard pressed to name the other
>one.

Probably. I just got an overdose.

>(Can you say "Not an opera fan either")
>
>Well,,,, Once I hit the road full time local channels are not a problem,
>cause every week or two they will change. DTV won't, and thankfully
>most of the places I plan on parking have something that passes for
>security.
>
>Of course a good Parisian Fido might help too (Plaster of Paris
>Rotweiler in attack pose with motion detector eyes and a recorded
>snarl/bark. Absolutely harmless, but the bad idiots would not know till
>they fell and injured themselves running away... Then they sue you for
>"Vicious dog" and you tell the judge "Your honor, I have concrete proof
>my dog did not attach them" Wheel in Fido on a hand cart, Knock,
>knock, "As I said Your Honor, Concrete proof"

The idiots. Real experienced thieves learn to recognize those things
(like fake dogs). The same way CD-keys and other such junk have little
effect of software piracy.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
Anonymous
September 30, 2004 3:37:07 PM

Mark Lloyd wrote:

> The idiots. Real experienced thieves learn to recognize those things
> (like fake dogs). The same way CD-keys and other such junk have little
> effect of software piracy.

I've seen some very convincing statues (in fact my pastor has one)

Have you ever heard the parrot joke?

Bugler breaks into a house and as he's loading the silver in his bag he
hears a voice "Jesus is watching you" He freezes, but hearing (and
seeing nothing more) continues... Sure enough once again he hears "Jesus
is watching you".

Well the third time this happens he gets a fix on the voice... It's the
bird in the cage. He looks at the bird and says "Oh, you, you're just a
bird in a cage, what do I have to worry about you watching me?" The
bird says "OH, I'm not Jesus, I'm Moses"

The bungler says: What kind of idiot names his parrot Moses?

Moses says: The same kind that names his Rotewiler Jesus.

Jesus: Introduces himself.
!