What GPU(s) for 120 hz monitor?

jason5757

Honorable
Jan 20, 2013
Im looking to get a new monitor and GPU with some of my tax return. Right now, im looking at this monitor and probably this GPU:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009300&Tpk=HN274H%20BMIIID
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150605

I really dont care as much about the 3D, but do want silky smooth graphics. I play games like WoW, Farcry 3 and simcity 5 (when it comes out).

Would one of these GPUs be enough to do well at 120hz?

i7 920
6GB ram

jstanley11

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012
I'd reccomend two GTX 670's (the Gigabyte ones are nice and compact, perfect for SLI). They tend to have lower power draw and temps than AMD's offerings (which are quite good, but the 7970 can get loud and hot in SLI). That's just my two cents. If you can afford it, a 690 would be a solid choice as well.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125423

I personally have that card, and would highly reccomend it. What PSU do you have btw?

excella1221

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012

The sooner you realize I didn't say you could reach 120fps and that you don't need 120fps to max out a game, and that that benchmark applied 4x MSAA, the better.

You don't always NEED to reach 120fps to get smooth gameplay from a 120Hz monitor. The frequency is for the fluidity.

Though if OP can up his budget, a better video card would always be better.

jason5757

Honorable
Jan 20, 2013
I dont need 120 hz in every game on ultra settings. Let me ask my question a bit differently; in this situation, is it better to have 2 cards in sli/crossfire or spend more on a higher end card?

+1, although by the time you'd need another card, there will be newer architectures, more VRAM, and much more power at the same price point. Case in point, for the people who bought an HD 5870 3 years ago, it's now just a little too weak to comfortably play the newest games, and now an HD 7970 can be had for the same price as they paid back then, but with 3x the VRAM, over twice the gaming prowess, and an architecture much better suited to the newest games. CrossfireX would limit you to that out-of-date architecture (I know, I've got the same), 1GB VRAM (which just isn't enough anymore), and relying on AMD for proper CrossfireX support in all your games (which just isn't as solid as it should be). Not to mention double the power-draw and heat.

And then you find that you can't get another card because they've been discontinued and the second hand one that you buy from fleabay doesn't work because the previous owner OC'd it to death and you are back to square one. SLi/CF is something that should be thought about and then done from day one IMHO, those who say otherwise don't know what they are talking about and most likely have zero experience with multi GPU rigs. :D

Fingers crossed that they are still available when you come round to getting another one.