$1200-$1300 Gaming PC Comments/Tweaks

btmaxrx

Honorable
Mar 10, 2013
I’m trying to build a gaming computer on a $1200-$1300 budget in the next week. I would like to have sufficient components to keep up for ~4 years (with the possibility of a few upgrades like an extra gpu with crossfire/sli). Below is an outline of what I am looking for, followed by a pcpicker list of the parts I was able to come up with after some internet research. I am looking for comments/tweaks for the build I am currently planning.

Approximate Purchase Date: In the next week.
Budget Range: $1200-$1300 (after rebates/before shipping)
System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Movies, Internet
Are you buying a monitor: No
Parts to Upgrade: Whole PC build
Do you need to buy OS: No
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com
Parts Preferences: No particular preferences.
Overclocking: Maybe
SLI or Crossfire: Eventually (as an upgrade down the road).
Your Monitor Resolution: 1680x1050 (this will eventually get upgraded)
Why Are You Upgrading: I typically get a new computer every 4 years.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($117.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($47.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($129.99 @ Adorama)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card ($399.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Arctic White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224BB DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1191.90
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-03-10 01:21 EST-0500)

Thank you for any help in advance.

Sandisk Ultra in exchange of the world's fastest and most reliable SSD?
The Ram you listed is $65 while the G.Skill is $47, besides there's no difference between them at all.
HDD is the same price OP listed.
Modular PSU is a way easier and looks better than non-modular one.

rishiswaz

Honorable
Mar 10, 2012
I would suggest going for water cooling if you have a setup with this level of performance and if you get a new computer every 4 years you can always just drain the loop and toss it into the new one ( Intel will probably change the mounting hole spacing by the time you get a new one so you might have to get a new water block). Or if you do not want to venture into an open loop something like the Corsair H80i or similar closed loop offerings, if you do not mind a bit of case modding I think you could fit a Swiftec H220 in there for closed loop cooling and expanding to maybe graphics cards later if you want to on the same system.

-its based on a marvel controller. its stable and its cheap. and the odds you ever noticing the difference between the 2 is almost zero
-ahh yes. pcpartpicker finally started to list us.ncix. thanks for pointing it out
-its not worth it if it costs almost double

sapphire overclocks much better and is much quieter. from what i know, the windforce 3x on the 7970 is louder than what you would find on the gtx 670.

burritobob

Honorable
Nov 14, 2012

Just a few facts that tear this suggestion apart:

1st the Hyper 212 can easily get to 4.0GHz without a problem. This is a fantastic overclock and will increase the performance to a whole different level. This is more than substantial for most overclockers.

2nd the performance gap between a H80i or Swiftec H220 compared to the Hyper 212 is about .5 - .8ghz which is not that large. The cost of getting a water cooler really is not worth it, with the maintenance required, it simply does not fit.

3rd you could simply get the Noctua D-14 which performs better than that of the suggested closed loop water coolers. Also this qould be a cheaper option in the first place.

(As a side note: and open loop cooling system can easily be $200+)

burritobob

Honorable
Nov 14, 2012

Most of the GPU overclocks I find say the opposite of this, but hey the only standing reason since most people don't overlock their GPUs and the stock Gigabyte card performs better (plus it's a bit cheaper) you really should go with the Gigabyte card.

Absolutely not, review the Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3X in Tom's GTX 670 roundup it got the approval award for cooling and noise efficiency.
T01%20WT%20Temperatures%20Idle.png

T02%20WT%20Temperatures%20Gaming.png

N01%20WT%20Noise%20Idle.png

HD 7970 Windforce from guru3d;
Untitled-3.png

Untitled-2.png

rishiswaz

Honorable
Mar 10, 2012

Maintenance of an open loop now is not really there, I know from first hand experience using an Exos 2, an EK block and Koolance fluid for a good 2 years now without having any problems and keeping consistent temperatures, all I do is if I ever have to open the case to add/remove/fix anything I will do a quick coolant level check too and usually I just check it and it is good but I drain occasionally if I just want to change things up with the tubing orientations for aesthetics. Also with air coolers you have more fans making more noise, almost no real upgrades to graphics card cooling especially with more than 1 card (because OP has said that Xfire/SLI are down the road), and unlike huge aircoolers like the D-14 or the Silver Arrow there is no problem with PCIe slot or RAM clearance. It is expensive but it is worth the performance increase which is significant, you can compare and the H80i beats out a huge Phanteks PH-TC14PE running at 100% fan speed which cost almost the same on Newegg so the Hyper 212+ might not only be 500-800 MHz off (http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cooling/2012/11/30/corsair-h80i-review/2).

Edit: Lower temperatures are not only for overclocking but keeping your system in the healthy range for sustained performance rather than pushing the limits of the TjMax to just hit 4.5 GHz