UATX water cooling case?

G

I'm getting a uATX case because even a midtower was too big for my liking.
My last watercooling didn't go the way I wanted to. I had to take the front mesh off the front of the HAF 912 and put the radiator there because of the lack of space inside and the top. It didn't look too bad... but still :pfff:

I'm thinking of getting a XSPC Rasa kit if its possible. I will use it to water cool my cpu and my gpu(buying ivy bridge equivalent of 2500k and a future equivalent of 6950). So I will need to fit a 2x120mm radiator somewhere.

I was originally thinking of getting this case...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163182
I know that it would be near impossible to fit inside... right?
But if I get this case I will have space to put the radiator on top.

Does anybody know a better uATX case that would do well with water cooling?
If miracally there's a uATX case with inside water cooling capabilities I would pick it. :D

Solution
An RX360 would put you at about 575watts with 1800 rpm fans, which would get you by on a single 360 rad. The RS360 is closer to a Swiftech MCR320 (which is great for the cost) and would handle around 550 watts with the same fans.

We know for a fact that i5/i7 2500/2600k's get super hot when you surpass 4.25ghz, so I'd consider allocating a single 3x120 rad for that, depending on TDB of the actual chip you choose. As for GPU...350watts TDP is very high; that's neighborhood of dual-GPU boards. 300w might be a decent value to shoot for as its better to over-rad than under-rad.
G

dang... wrong section I think. I meant to put this in the cases section cause i think it fits better there. Can't figure out how to move or delete post... I 'l just make a new post in the cases section.

G

I will buy an ivy bridge 2500k equivalent and will do overclocking in the future. So to be safe, about 200w for cpu????? I'm a noob but for sandy bridge i set the tdp at 200w. Ivy bridge should use less watts. For gpu, a 6950 or the newer one if a newer one comes out. So about 350w for gpu?

I'm sorry I don't have exact specs right now because I'm just planning it right now to get my budgeting right for a new ivy bridge pc once it comes out. Trying to see if watercooling is possible and if so I will need to save more money.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
An RX360 would put you at about 575watts with 1800 rpm fans, which would get you by on a single 360 rad. The RS360 is closer to a Swiftech MCR320 (which is great for the cost) and would handle around 550 watts with the same fans.

We know for a fact that i5/i7 2500/2600k's get super hot when you surpass 4.25ghz, so I'd consider allocating a single 3x120 rad for that, depending on TDB of the actual chip you choose. As for GPU...350watts TDP is very high; that's neighborhood of dual-GPU boards. 300w might be a decent value to shoot for as its better to over-rad than under-rad.

Solution
G

Wow... it's going to be pretty tight then... I'll do some case hunting. I want to stay with uatx which will mean I will have to do some modding. I'll also have to find a case with 3 external drive bays. 2 for the resevoir and 1 for the dvd drive. Not many uAtx cases have 3 slots... :/ or should I go getto and duct tape it on top XD

Don't bother with water cooling. You really don't need it now, and will likely need it less in the future going to a smaller mfg process for both cpu and graphics cards.

I have a GTX580 installed in the TJ08-E you linked to. I love it.
The case can handle a full 160mm air cooler,; I used a Prolimatech megahalems which fits with no issues.
The GTX580 gets all the air it needs with only the supplied 180mm fan.
Actually the fan is on low and undervolted a bit. I also undervolted the noctua fan on the cooler.
I was prepared to install a rear 120mm fan, but it was not needed.
For quiet, I installed the silverstone case padding on the side panels. It did make a difference.

The only caveat on the case is to watch your psu length.
I used a Seasonic 750w modullar psu which fit ok.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
You can mount rads outside on the back over a 120mm fan mount with a radbox, or find another spot around the intake fans or bottom...depending on the actual case you decide on. It really kind of depends on your expectations and intended speeds/use of your computer...you could get away with a single 360 (thick) with some great fans and mild overclocks.

Don't bother with water cooling. You really don't need it now, and will likely need it less in the future going to a smaller mfg process for both cpu and graphics cards.

You also don't actually 'need' a computer. Please don't tell someone else what they 'need' based on your opinion...there is a reason the OP posted this question...it's apparent he is strongly considering it as a cooling option and hobby.

G

I just want to try it out. For bragging rights too:D. My other desktop didn't go well for watercooling and in general so I don't have much interest in it anymore. My OCD demands I start fresh and try again :p. Because I feel that my first one was a failure, its completely worthless to me. Surprisingly, I found people willing to buy it for double the price :sweat:. So I have the money now :D.

I was thinking of getting the XFX pro 650w core psu. Did you have any problems with the case? So far I think its one of the best :D .

G

There aren't any cases I liked that had 3 slots. So I'm deciding to go with this case. I'm going to buy an external dvd drive instead since I need it for my laptops anyway:). This case has no holes for the tubes. I'm wondering how to get around this. Would clipping the vents open beside the pci slots be fine? I think radbox will fit best since the top has no vents.

G

Yeah. I found the refrigerator thing very interesting. I'll check out the other two stickies!
Thanks for the huge help!