IDE RAID with notebook drives

G

In response to the article on IDE RAID with notebook devices (3/1), yes, you can make a quiet drive that way but I just put in one of the Seagate ATA IV drives with the Fluid Dynamic Bearing and it is quiet! 7200 rpm, no need to run RAID to recover performance, cheaper per MB than notebook drives, and quiet. So is there some advantage to the RAID configuration that I missed?

G

HA! I just logged on to post the same thing, when I noticed your post.

I just traded my "coffee grinder" Quantum Fireball for a Seagate Barracuda IV 60 GB, and it's dead silent. It's so quiet that I need to look at the HDD light to make sure it's doing anything.

So, the truth is, $240 US is ridiculous, because you need 2 x 20 GB hdd, a RAID card. I paid $115 US for my 60 GB hard drive, I get no-risk use (non-raid) and it's probably quieter and faster.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
As I was saying in FatBurger's post on this, in those mini-pc systems where you only have room for one IDE device, it could be worth while to some people to sandwhich two 2.5" drives into there and run it in a RAID 1 configuration if they work with data that is so important that a HD crash would be devastating.

It is a pretty small niche of a market though.

<pre><b><font color=orange>AROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!</font color=orange></b></pre><p>

TRENDING THREADS