Confused on what I need to upgrade! PLEASE HELP!

yongla

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2011
Currently it's me and my dad that's using most of the internet, downloading movies, gaming, watching streams and videos, etc. With my mother getting a laptop, she's also going to be part of all these internet usage.

Here's my current setup:

ISP: Shaw
ISP Plan: http://www.shaw.ca/Internet/High-Speed/
-Up to 7.5 Mbps download speed
-Up to 512 Kbps upload speed
-125 GB monthly transfer limit

Router: Linksys WRT160N V2
http://homestore.cisco.com/en-us/routers/Linksys-WRT160N-Wireless-N-Router-Front-Page_stcVVproductId53934616VVcatId552009VVviewprod.htm

Wireless Adapter: D-Link DWA-130
- My link sped is 270Mbps

Internet is starting to get slow in my household, I can't watch streams at 720p or HD or higher without stuttering, general slowness. I've come to the conclusion that I just need to upgrade. I also might get the odd ping spike session.

The problem is, I don't know what, what would be the best investment in my situation to upgrade my internet?
If there is anything else you need to know, please tell! I don't know if I need to upgrade my internet plan, or modem, or router, etc.

Thank you!

Edit: Forgot more information:

I currently have a EnGenius Satellite internet thing connected to our router that goes to our roof (we share internet with our RV Campsite business as well.

Solution
Upgrading the plan with Shaw is going to be the best route. I am also on Shaw and recently moved to their Broadband 100 service. The modem upgrade was free, and after dropping a bunch of TV channels that I don't watch, I actually ended up paying about $20 less per month.

Check out either the High Speed 20, or Broadband 50 package. The high speed 20 option doubles your data cap, and more than doubles your download rate for an extra $3 a month. Broadband 50 would more than triple your data cap, increase your download rate almost 7-fold, and increase your upload rate by 6 times, for an extra $13 a month.

A modem upgrade likely would not be necessary for the high speed 20 option, but would for the broadband 50 option. There would be no...
Upgrading the plan with Shaw is going to be the best route. I am also on Shaw and recently moved to their Broadband 100 service. The modem upgrade was free, and after dropping a bunch of TV channels that I don't watch, I actually ended up paying about $20 less per month.

Check out either the High Speed 20, or Broadband 50 package. The high speed 20 option doubles your data cap, and more than doubles your download rate for an extra $3 a month. Broadband 50 would more than triple your data cap, increase your download rate almost 7-fold, and increase your upload rate by 6 times, for an extra $13 a month.

A modem upgrade likely would not be necessary for the high speed 20 option, but would for the broadband 50 option. There would be no service interruption though. Shaw will mail the device to you, and once you have it hooked up, call them to activate it and it will work immediately.

If you go for the broadband 50, you won't need to buy a new router either, as the new ones Shaw is shipping to customers have routers built in, and all of the ports are Gigabit to take advantage of the higher data rates.

Solution

yongla

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2011

Thanks for the reply! That really helps me out!