Problem saving files using CoolEdit 96 on Windows XP

For years I have used the registered version of Cooledit 96 and, as it
satisfies all my simple WAV processing requirements, I saw no need to
upgrade. Adobe Audution is now beyond my price range.

I've just bought a new PC running Windows XP Home Edition. In
Cooledit 96 everything works well until I try to Save an open file- I
then always get "Invalid file or format". "Save As" works fine but I
don't want multiple copies of the same track which means I then have
to delete and rename files all the time.

My C: drive is NTFS but I get exactly the same problem on my FAT32 D:
drive. I've disabled write caching and stopped the Indexing Service
indexing the disk, but it makes no difference.

I've seen no mention of this problem anywhere on the Net and I can't
believe I'm the only one with this problem. Any ideas anyone? Many
thanks.
9 answers Last reply
More about problem saving files cooledit windows

    Jezza wrote:

    ><snip>
    > I've just bought a new PC running Windows XP Home Edition. In
    > Cooledit 96 everything works well until I try to Save an open file- I
    > then always get "Invalid file or format". "Save As" works fine but I
    > don't want multiple copies of the same track which means I then have
    > to delete and rename files all the time.
    ><snip>

    Since I don't have the same software but CoolEditPro and Win98SE, I can
    only offer suggestions.

    If the only thing you are doing differently is using WinXP instead of an
    older OS, then perhaps you can tell WinXP to run in a Win98 emulation
    mode via the Cooledit96 shortcut. It might help.

    Since the error is one of file format, you may be inadvertently doing
    something wrong in Cooledit96. What is the format of the original sound
    file? What format does Cooledit96 expect the file to be stored as?

    Even people with the same software as yours will need more information
    to offer good suggestions.

    Robert Gault <robert.gault@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message news:<ACFwc.40547$_k3.995309@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>...
    > Jezza wrote:
    >
    > ><snip>
    > > I've just bought a new PC running Windows XP Home Edition. In
    > > Cooledit 96 everything works well until I try to Save an open file- I
    > > then always get "Invalid file or format". "Save As" works fine but I
    > > don't want multiple copies of the same track which means I then have
    > > to delete and rename files all the time.
    > ><snip>
    >
    > Since I don't have the same software but CoolEditPro and Win98SE, I can
    > only offer suggestions.
    >
    > If the only thing you are doing differently is using WinXP instead of an
    > older OS, then perhaps you can tell WinXP to run in a Win98 emulation
    > mode via the Cooledit96 shortcut. It might help.
    >
    > Since the error is one of file format, you may be inadvertently doing
    > something wrong in Cooledit96. What is the format of the original sound
    > file? What format does Cooledit96 expect the file to be stored as?
    >
    > Even people with the same software as yours will need more information
    > to offer good suggestions.

    Thanks for the reply. I know I'm not doing anything incorrectly or
    differently within Cooledit- I'm just opening a WAV ripped by Exact
    Audio Copy, Audiograbber or dbPowerAmp (I tried them all, but WAVs
    produced by all three yield the same error, so ripping isn't the
    problem), then performing a simple operation such as deleting some of
    the silence at the end of the track, and then trying to save, but it's
    no go. As mentioned, Save As will work, but then reopening the new
    file, making a change and trying to save that will again produce the
    error.

    I tried the compatability emulation option that you mentioned, and
    specifying Windows 98 compatibility *does work* so thanks for that tip
    (for reference, NT and Windows 2000 compatibility don't work).
    However, anything involving a disk operation, such as saving undo
    data, is *so* slow. I'm not particularly techno-savvy I'm afraid, but
    I would say the problem seems to be something to do with the way
    Cooledit handles its 'virtual' files. Indeed, if I switch off Win98
    emulation and run it normally again under XP, I find I can use Save if
    I do File | Flush Virtual File first, but that takes forever.

    I hope there is a solution as I haven't found another audio editor
    anywhere near as good and intuitive as Cooledit.

    On 6/6/2004 06:54, Jezza wrote:

    > For years I have used the registered version of Cooledit 96 and, as it
    > satisfies all my simple WAV processing requirements, I saw no need to
    > upgrade. Adobe Audution is now beyond my price range.
    >
    > I've just bought a new PC running Windows XP Home Edition. In
    > Cooledit 96 everything works well until I try to Save an open file- I
    > then always get "Invalid file or format". "Save As" works fine but I
    > don't want multiple copies of the same track which means I then have
    > to delete and rename files all the time.
    >
    > My C: drive is NTFS but I get exactly the same problem on my FAT32 D:
    > drive. I've disabled write caching and stopped the Indexing Service
    > indexing the disk, but it makes no difference.
    >
    > I've seen no mention of this problem anywhere on the Net and I can't
    > believe I'm the only one with this problem. Any ideas anyone? Many
    > thanks.

    Can you use "Save As..." and just overwrite the original file? At
    least that way, you wouldn't have to deal with multiple versions of
    the same track.

    I do understand, however, that this will still be somewhat of a
    pain in the neck... but it might be better than living with the
    performance problems you mentioned when setting the W/98 compatibility
    mode.

    Jezza wrote:
    > For years I have used the registered version of Cooledit 96 and, as it
    > satisfies all my simple WAV processing requirements, I saw no need to
    > upgrade. Adobe Audution is now beyond my price range.
    >
    > I've just bought a new PC running Windows XP Home Edition. In
    > Cooledit 96 everything works well until I try to Save an open file- I
    > then always get "Invalid file or format". "Save As" works fine but I
    > don't want multiple copies of the same track which means I then have
    > to delete and rename files all the time.

    There are a variety of compatibility settings that are acessible via the
    compatibility tab of a shortcut pointing to the EXE file that you are trying
    to run. You might want to try to check out options relating to running it
    in win95 compatibility mode.

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/gethelp/appcompat.asp
    discusses this in more detail.

    also:

    http://www.wintrouble.net/discus/messages/53/5259.html?1081362960

    Jezza wrote:

    > For years I have used the registered version of Cooledit 96 and, as it
    > satisfies all my simple WAV processing requirements, I saw no need to
    > upgrade. Adobe Audution is now beyond my price range.

    Understood.

    > I've just bought a new PC running Windows XP Home Edition. In
    > Cooledit 96 everything works well until I try to Save an open file- I
    > then always get "Invalid file or format". "Save As" works fine but I
    > don't want multiple copies of the same track which means I then have
    > to delete and rename files all the time.

    I am confused, I recently used it on a winxpprof installation, and I
    can't recall any problems.

    > My C: drive is NTFS but I get exactly the same problem on my FAT32 D:
    > drive. I've disabled write caching and stopped the Indexing Service
    > indexing the disk, but it makes no difference.

    I can't remember the options exactly, but first I'd enable "use systems
    cache", and re-enable write caching. Indexing service can be a
    pestilence, but is is not the cause of the issue. File system is also
    irrelevant.

    > I've seen no mention of this problem anywhere on the Net and I can't
    > believe I'm the only one with this problem. Any ideas anyone? Many
    > thanks.

    For a starter: just how large files are you trying to create with it?

    Note: the version I used was the unreg one, I didn't register until CE2k
    came to be. This may make a difference. Adobe has a forum for Audition,
    I think you should ask there, the "old knowhow" is also around.

    Kind regards

    Peter Larsen

    On 6 Jun 2004 06:54:18 -0700, jezza2412@yahoo.co.uk (Jezza) wrote:

    >For years I have used the registered version of Cooledit 96 and, as it
    >satisfies all my simple WAV processing requirements, I saw no need to
    >upgrade. Adobe Audution is now beyond my price range.
    >
    >I've just bought a new PC running Windows XP Home Edition. In
    >Cooledit 96 everything works well until I try to Save an open file- I
    >then always get "Invalid file or format". "Save As" works fine but I
    >don't want multiple copies of the same track which means I then have
    >to delete and rename files all the time.

    Hi,

    I checked with CE96 (version 1.53) saving on both FAT-32 and NTFS
    (system partition). It works well, no problem. OS in Windows XP pro
    with service pack 1 and all important patches. However, I noted that
    CE96 uses the file selection utility in 8.3 file name mode or even in
    a Win 3.x compatibility mode. Maybe there's a problem with long file
    names, either because of some ambiguity or missing 8.3 file name
    support in your system. 8.3 file name support can be disabled in XP.

    Norbert

    Mark Hansen <meh@NOSPAMunify.com> wrote in message news:<10c8q9hp8id31d9@corp.supernews.com>...
    > On 6/6/2004 06:54, Jezza wrote:
    >
    > > For years I have used the registered version of Cooledit 96 and, as it
    > > satisfies all my simple WAV processing requirements, I saw no need to
    > > upgrade. Adobe Audution is now beyond my price range.
    > >
    > > I've just bought a new PC running Windows XP Home Edition. In
    > > Cooledit 96 everything works well until I try to Save an open file- I
    > > then always get "Invalid file or format". "Save As" works fine but I
    > > don't want multiple copies of the same track which means I then have
    > > to delete and rename files all the time.
    > >
    > > My C: drive is NTFS but I get exactly the same problem on my FAT32 D:
    > > drive. I've disabled write caching and stopped the Indexing Service
    > > indexing the disk, but it makes no difference.
    > >
    > > I've seen no mention of this problem anywhere on the Net and I can't
    > > believe I'm the only one with this problem. Any ideas anyone? Many
    > > thanks.
    >
    > Can you use "Save As..." and just overwrite the original file? At
    > least that way, you wouldn't have to deal with multiple versions of
    > the same track.
    >
    > I do understand, however, that this will still be somewhat of a
    > pain in the neck... but it might be better than living with the
    > performance problems you mentioned when setting the W/98 compatibility
    > mode.

    Unfortunately no, Save As with the original filename gives me exactly
    the same error. Thanks for the suggestion though.

    Peter Larsen <SPAMSHIELD_plarsen@mail.tele.dk> wrote in message news:<40CCC948.2F0FA81A@mail.tele.dk>...
    > Jezza wrote:
    >
    > > For years I have used the registered version of Cooledit 96 and, as it
    > > satisfies all my simple WAV processing requirements, I saw no need to
    > > upgrade. Adobe Audution is now beyond my price range.
    >
    > Understood.
    >
    > > I've just bought a new PC running Windows XP Home Edition. In
    > > Cooledit 96 everything works well until I try to Save an open file- I
    > > then always get "Invalid file or format". "Save As" works fine but I
    > > don't want multiple copies of the same track which means I then have
    > > to delete and rename files all the time.
    >
    > I am confused, I recently used it on a winxpprof installation, and I
    > can't recall any problems.

    As I do seem to be the only one experiencing trouble, then I'm hopeful
    that it is just a simple setting somewhere on my PC that I need to
    change. However, I have tried everything suggested by the folks who
    kindly took the time to respond in this thread but am still no nearer
    to finding the solution.

    > > My C: drive is NTFS but I get exactly the same problem on my FAT32 D:
    > > drive. I've disabled write caching and stopped the Indexing Service
    > > indexing the disk, but it makes no difference.
    >
    > I can't remember the options exactly, but first I'd enable "use systems
    > cache", and re-enable write caching. Indexing service can be a
    > pestilence, but is is not the cause of the issue. File system is also
    > irrelevant.
    >
    > > I've seen no mention of this problem anywhere on the Net and I can't
    > > believe I'm the only one with this problem. Any ideas anyone? Many
    > > thanks.
    >
    > For a starter: just how large files are you trying to create with it?

    I'm just trying to work with typical 3 minute (around 35Mb) WAV files
    ripped from CD.

    The only functions I really use are add/delete silence, fade-in/fade
    out, normalize and mix paste, so I'm not doing anything ambitious, but
    Cooledit does these things more intuitively than anything else I've
    tried. The problem definitely seems to be to do with Cooledit's
    "virtual file" handling as it is only operations that change the track
    length that cause the trouble.

    > Note: the version I used was the unreg one, I didn't register until CE2k
    > came to be. This may make a difference. Adobe has a forum for Audition,
    > I think you should ask there, the "old knowhow" is also around.

    I tried uninstalling Cooledit 96, then rebooting and reinstalling but
    it now always comes up as the registered version. Surely that can't
    be the problem though?

    > Kind regards
    >
    > Peter Larsen
  9. I know this is an old thread, but in case anyone else comes across it, I thought I'd add that I've had the same problem, only on Windows 2000. Unfortunately I have not found a solution, but here is my workaround.

    The problem:

    1) Load a WAV file (any size, even tiny ones)
    2) Do some modification (e.g. trim it)
    3) Click 'Save' (not save as)
    You get the invalid file format message.

    The workaround:
    Between steps 2 and 3:
    2.1) Select the entire file
    2.2) Copy to clipboard
    2.3) Paste from clipboard
    Now 'save' works as expected.

    Weird - I don't know if there's a better solution, but that's what I've been doing since I upgraded to Win2K, about 5 years ago! Hope it's helpful to somebody.

Windows XP Audio