Booting from existing ssd on new build?

unwind

Honorable
Mar 10, 2013
Hi everyone :)

I'm new here so go easy on me :p. I've been looking at the forums for a while now and have got some very useful information from users. Seems like people know what they're talking about on here so I've finally had to come and seek some advice.

I'm going to be building a new pc within the next month or so, and it's the first time I've ever attempted to do so. I'm quite confident as I've been reading up about it and have also made a number of modifications to my current pc so I have a fairly good understanding.

The only thing I'm very unsure about is whether or not I'll need to buy a new version of windows 7. The reason being that I currently have an SSD drive installed into my current pc which I use to boot the original windows that came on my current pre-built pc, and I'm planning on taking that ssd drive out and installing it straight into my new build to boot from when the time comes. Are there any problems with doing this? For example will the new motherboard/cpu have any problem recognising the existing version of windows? Just because I'm not sure whether an installation of windows has any sort of tie ins with the mobo/cpu at the time of installation. I'm going from an AMD phenom II cpu to an intel core i7, and from an Asus M4A785T-M mobo to an Asus P8Z77V PRO.

samb_ch

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2012

Yes, installing new hardware like mobo and cpu will cause the system can't boot up if it's far different to current system.
Example: If cpu in socket 775 '' core 2 duo to core 2 quad '' then it won't take affect.
Reinstall windows to solve.

unwind,

The others' replies are correct- it's unlikely you'll be able to simply plug in the SSD from your previous computer and have it run. I tried this when changing from a Dell Optiplex 740 [AMD Athlon II 6000+ dual core 3.0 GHz] to a Dell Precision T5400 [Xeon X5460 quad core 3.16GHz] thinking that being the same brand and generation might work. I had a pile of applications that I didn't want to have to reload > AutoCad, Revit, Maya, Solidworks, Adobe CS4, Corel Technical Designer, and more- but when I tried this, there was not a peep from the Precision.

However, all is not lost. I bought (Dec 2012) Easeus Todo backup Workstation, made a system image on the Optiplex onto an external USB HD (108GB), and formatted the T5400 HD. Made a Win 7 recovery disc. Running the T5400 off a Windows recovery disk, I was able to use the Easeus feature > "Restore to dissimilar hardware", selected the system image source on the ext. HD, selected the target partition on the T5400 and - it worked! windows 7 even automatically loaded the driver for the different hardware including the Graphics card, audio card, and WiFi.

With this process, you have to reactivate the copy of Windows - MS wants to make sure it's installed on only one computer- and also reactivate applications and move licenses. Overall, a painless process- mainly a lot of pressing the button and walking away, waiting to make the system image, then the installation on the new hardware. The part I disliked most was reactivating everything, but if I had to load Windows and all those applications, I would be sitting in front of the screen swapping disks for at least 10-12 hours, then the reactivations, software updating, and the 10,000 fussy configurations settings- probably 20+ hours total. So, having the "Restore to dissimilar hardware" button was worth the $39! After everything was in order on the T5400, but before any real use, I disk cleaned and defragged and made a new system image that could restore everything in case of HD failure or virus. It's so easy, I'm thinking of restoring the system image about every 6 or 9 months for good performance.

A note: If you use partitions, setup and format those before doing the restore. I had a problem when making the partitions afterwards as even with defrag, some files got orphaned in the new partition. Easeus kindly has a good, free utility, "Partition Master Home Edition" with a graphical interface.

By the way, if you try the Easeus Workstation software (it has to be the "Workstation" version or above to include the dissimilar hardware feature) don't use my description of this process as instructions. I never read manuals and I'm sure the Easeus manual will have a better and more detailed sequence!

Cheers,

BambiBoom

unwind

Honorable
Mar 10, 2013
Thanks for the help guys.

Bambiboom - thanks for the advice. I will look further into your recommendation, seems it would save me some time and money.

If win 7 was preinstalled or you bought the cheaper oem version, it is legally tied to that old mobo. You can try Easus and may luck out, but there's a chance windows update will catch it and disable updates til u fork over for a new license.