High pitch sound

cadja

Honorable
Mar 10, 2013
I just built my new build and everything was fine, installed windows, etc but after I tried using smart cpu fan my pc started making a very annoying high pitch sound, at first i thought it was probably from the fans or something, so I disconnected each fan at a time, cpu cooler fan and case ones aswell and the sound wasn't coming from any of those, I tried to pinpoint the sound and it seems to come from around the cpu/gpu area, i also took out my gpu to check if it was coming from it but the sound still continued.

The fun part is that, after I ran windows index evaluation and the sound stopped, so after I restarted my pc to check if the sound was still there and it was, but just to test something, I ran a game benchmark and the sound stopped again, after some more reboots + running benchmarks it seems after I tax my pc the high pitch sound completely stops until I restart it again, which will only stop until I put my pc under some load again, what could this annoying high pitch sound be?

Setup:
MSI Z77A-G45
I5 3570k
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
Gigabyte GTX 660 TI
Samsung 840 Pro 128gb
Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
2x4gb Kingston HyperX
Corsair TX750 V2

It would appear to be coil whine, which comes from the PSU (motherboard or GPU if they have coils can be suspect also - normally the PSU) and is a manufacturing defect (which doesn't affect the coils' or PSU's performance) which allows vibrations to occur within the coil at specific to broad frequencies - those vibrations are heard as a whining noise. In your case the whine can be eliminated by increasing the load on your PSU. It is annoying but is not a reason for concern, adding a few fans to your case may provide the additional draw the PSU needs to get over that frequency range. Another option may be to keep your PC running at high draw ranges by running Shared Computing programs such as BOINC projects (link to SETI@home in my sig).
Hope it helps