Sign in with
Your question

Noob Advice needed, help with high speed wireless vs wired

Last response: in Wireless Networking
February 18, 2012 1:15:23 AM

I recently upgrading my net speed to 30 megs but am working on wireless on an upstairs pc for gaming needs. I got neweggs highest rated wireless usb card and what i thought was a decent belkin router that supports up to 300mb

I cannot game online, its choppy, sudden lag spikes and cut outs all the time and I am only getting 18mb or so out of the full 30mb I am paying for. Could this be a wireless card or router issue? Should I avoid all this and pay up the butt for a wired connection, a 2nd line as it was just to avoid all of this wireless cut outs?
a c 204 F Wireless
February 18, 2012 1:53:23 AM

Wireless can be affected by other stuff on the same frequency -- other networks, microwave ovens, wireless speakers, wireless telephones. You can try changing radio channels to reduce the interference, and a program called inSSIDer can help you select the best channels.

A wired connection will not have those issues and will have better and consistent low latency, which is very important for gaming. Is there any way that you can run a CAT 5e cable from your router to the upstairs PC?
m
l
February 18, 2012 2:10:36 AM

I physically can run a line up here, but it will be a nice ugly 50ft cable snaking through the house. Ugh, gaming is almost impossible on this connection. I really hoped 30mb would be enough to push through it with a decent router and net card but its almost unplayable. Its really sad. IM REALLY SAD RIGHT NOW HAHA :[
m
l
a c 204 F Wireless
February 18, 2012 8:24:30 AM

Nah, a 50 foot cable to have excellent gaming is worth it (and you will get excellent latency with a CAT 5e cable compared to what sounds like a very long wireless path) -- just turn off the machine and disconnect and roll up the cable when not in use.

Over time you will find a way to hide it enough to minimize complaints from others. Tuck it under carpets, and carefully tack it to walls and stuff without hitting or pinching the cable. I sometimes run them out a wall to the outside up and over the top of the house and then back in the other end where I need it.
m
l
!