2x sli 8800gts VS single gtx 550ti

Alexbucg

Honorable
Jan 20, 2013
Hi, I am currently running two ( sli bridged) geforce 8800 gts, and I have a gtx 550 ti that is not being used. I was wondering which set up is better for me? I don't play really intense games.
I play league of legends, portal 2, those kind of games. Can someone please help me?

Alexbucg

Honorable
Jan 20, 2013

Thank you, I appreciate it. I will wait for more advice before switching to the 550 ti.

4745454b

Titan
Which GTS? If the original G80 GTS cards the GTX550TI is faster. If the newer G92 cards with 1GB of ram instead of 320/640MBs then the SLI setup is faster. But as you said you don't play intense games. And that single 550TI will use less power. I'd switch to the newer card.

i would get the current gen, those cards are a power hog, not to mention the temps they would put out, and 2 of them.

besides there are more issues when using more than 1 card, then you have power consumption, temps.
too many cons for this setup. my 2 cents

Alexbucg

Honorable
Jan 20, 2013

I believe they are both 640 MBs. So you are saying the single gtx 550 ti is all around better?

I am a "noob" in terms of hardware and I never had a problem with overheating and I have no reason to believe my power supply is in any trouble. What are the benefits of using less power? ( I pay a flat fee for electricity )
Thanks

4745454b

Titan
Usually cost and heat. If you are pulling less electricity from the wall then you save money by not using as much, and you won't be putting as much heat into the case/room. Cost doesn't apply to you apparently, but the card should run cooler then the SLI setup so temps should drop some.