GTX 680 SLI Worth It For Me?

Comp510

Honorable
Jan 20, 2013
I recently got two GTX 680's SLI from a friend of mine as a gift, they are the EVGA GTX 680 SLI Signature 2 2GB Superclocked.

BUT, I wanted to ask you guys if it is worth going the SLI. I know some of you are probably like duh, well let me tell you the story:

Right now, my mobo isn't SLI/CrossfireX ready, so this means I would need to upgrade just for the SLI, but is it worth the upgrade? I can only fit one 680 right now.

My specs are :

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128514
Processor: AMD X6 1100T 3.3Ghz
RAM: 8GB
Power Supply: Raidmax 1000w 80 GOLD Certified SLI/CrossfireX ready
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper

Would it work if I were to get a SLI ready motherboard, but reuse my processor and other parts, and SLI the cards? Also is it worth it/will the SLI fit in my case?

OR Should I get a new motherboard, and a new processory maybe an i5 3570k or 2500k? But that is alot more to spend.

OR Should I just stick with one card?

With a single 680 you can hit basically 60+fps on ultra in almost every game @ 1080p

I would say stick with your current rig and drop in a steamroller once those ones pop out. If steamrooler is a dissapointment, grab a Haswell or Broadwell then.

I actually think your board actually supports SLI/corssfire

From newegg
MULTI-GPU SUPPORT WITH 2 WAY SLI AND 2 WAY CROSSFIREX
Flexible graphics capabilities - Up to 2 VGA cards are supported for either 2 way CrossFireX or 2 way SLI action (running at two x16 bandwidth), delivering the ultimate in graphics performance for gaming enthusiasts who demand the highest frame rates without compromising on resolution.

From gigabyte
4 PCI-E 2.0 interfaces for 2way AMD CrossFireX and SLI multi-graphics support

2067.jpg

You can see if they fit by trying it :p

farrengottu

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
i would stick with a single card, sell the second one. wait for haswell and upgrade then. get you a new top of the line processor and mobo with virtu mvp. you would get damn good performance with that. no need for a second card.

Virtu MVP decreases performance afaik

I would wait past hawswell till steamroller at the end of the year so he can maybe stick with his platform for a while longer and save like that.

Aznova

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012
We are all thinking it.... iknowhowtofixit just said it out loud.

I would agree with the other guys. Keep one and sell the other unless you are looking for bench-marking, run 4 displays, or just plain overkill bragging rights.

The other card will definitely help you upgrade later, though.