DrPrice

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2002
Hi
My bench mark for a pentium 4 2.4 processor with 512ddr menm and a5400 hard drive is top # on Sandra is 4875 and bottom # is1012-2368 That is cpu arithmetic score. It is a lap top is this good or bad? It says that it is only running at 1.7 ghz in windows and on pcpitstop and Sandra. This is the answer they gave me is this accurate? My previous pentium3 800mmx reported running at 802 mhz. Please help me clarify as I can still return it if there is a problem thanks
Dr Amy
Below is what I was told
These programs are generic and not recognizing the motherboard and processor setup is all I believe it to be. Your processor is a 2.4GHZ and runs a 100 FSB with a 24X multiplier. Your motherboard appears to be capable of running 133 FSB and it knows this. The monitoring programs *including* Windows thinks it's running a 133 FSB and therefore the multiplier would be 18X to hit the 2400 MHZ and it's defaulting it's reference to that. So it's taking this 18X multiplier as the information from the motherboard and combining it with the 100FSB that the actual CPU is running and coming up with a 1.8GHZ CPU and it's reporting to these programs that's it's speed.

RaPTuRe

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2001
Ok you gotta let us know what notebook it is, otherwise...it's difficult

If it is a mobile Pentium 4 (i.e P4-m) it cannot be a 2.4GHz model, because the fastest P4-m is 2.2GHz. All the P4-m's incorporate speedstup which clocks them down from their normal running speed to increase battery life and lower thermal levels.

For reference, My P4-m 1.7GHz gets +-4500 MIPS, and 2300 MFLOPS, a 2.4GHz should be getting 6400 MIPS, and 3200 MFLOPS.

There is NO DIFFERENCE between a P4 desktop and a P4-m. they both perform exactly the same.

more information please...

RaPTuRe

Who's General Failure and why's he reading my disk?

DrPrice

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2002
Hi

It is a Sager ( Clevo is the maker) northwoood processor (desktop)set. 5400rpm HD 40 gig 512ddr ram. Does yours read 2.0 ghz in win my computer properties? I am running winxp pro. Thanks for helping!

RaPTuRe

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2001
Well, no it reads 1.7GHz, if I had a 2GHz, it would read 2GHz.

use WCPUID (an app) to get ur exact CPU speed, it is very precise. THe WINXP console is very bad at reading speed, it sometimes says that mine is running at 208MHz (which it isnt), when it's on speedstep.

Well you don't have speedstep, so I assume if your results are so low, it's reducing to 1/2 speed of your processor. dont know how to do it on a Sager, but hav u tried BIOS?

Who's General Failure and why's he reading my disk?

DrPrice

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2002
Hi
Sorry about the stupid question!!I downloaded the program and it is still saying 179.2 rather than 4.2. The seller says mine has a multiplier of 24 rather than 18 and this is causing an error reading the program stated the multiplier as 18 also. What do you think is it operating a 1.79 0r 2.4? In the bios it has a50& throttle down for battery but I disabled it and tried again but the results were the same I dont know what else to change
Thanks

DrPrice

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2002
Hi
Well the deed is done! I got an inspiration after your post and phoned intel they gave me a utility to download that shows capable versus actual speed then they told me there was something set wrong or the multiplier was malfunctioning. Sager says it was sent out with a bad board and gave me an rma # Unfortunately I have to pay to ship to them but at least it is going to be fixed! Thanks for all the great information it really helped