Batllefield 1942 - Weird Mouse Problem

Pedro

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2004

Guys,
Bought the original Battlefield 1942 last week and having a really buggy
problem with it.

Essentially I enter a single player or custom map and after about 5mins the
mouse locks up just going with whatever last command it received. Keyboard
continues to work etc, just the mouse.

I'm using a A4 Tech wireless keyboard and mouse setup. Even after killing
the game, the mouse is still dead in windows so I have to reboot.

Anyone got any ideas?

Game came with version 1.03.01. I've been searching for update patches and
have from 1.04.501 onwards, just can't get from 1.03 to 1.04. Pretty amazing
as I've downloaded over 400mb in patches, and can't still update it.

TIA.

Pete

Pedro

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2004

"Colonel Flagg" <colonel_flagg@NOSOUPFORJ00-internetwarzone.org> wrote in
message news:eek:972h1952maie8pd03dmudqsq29rbh99hg@4ax.com...
> On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 11:50:06 +1000, "Pedro" <shite67@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Guys,
>> Bought the original Battlefield 1942 last week and having a really
>> buggy
>>problem with it.
>>
>>Essentially I enter a single player or custom map and after about 5mins
>>the
>>mouse locks up just going with whatever last command it received. Keyboard
>>continues to work etc, just the mouse.
>>
>> I'm using a A4 Tech wireless keyboard and mouse setup. Even after
>> killing
>>the game, the mouse is still dead in windows so I have to reboot.
>>
>>Anyone got any ideas?
>>
>>Game came with version 1.03.01. I've been searching for update patches and
>>have from 1.04.501 onwards, just can't get from 1.03 to 1.04. Pretty
>>amazing
>>as I've downloaded over 400mb in patches, and can't still update it.
>>
>>TIA.
>>
>>Pete
>>

> only patches for the game that you need is the 1.6 and 1.61b patch.
>
> ftp://largedownloads.ea.com/pub/patches/battlefield_1942_patch_v1.6.19.exe
>
> &&
>
> ftp://largedownloads.ea.com/pub/patches/battlefield_1942_incremental_patch_v1.6_to_v1.61b.exe
>
> then login to our IWZ CTF 64 player server :)
>
> as for the mouse problem, because you lose it in windows, i suspect it
> may be a directx issue, but i could be wrong. try updating directx and
> see if that works for you.
>

> /CF

Thanks for your reply. I've got Directx 9.0c running at the moment. That's
the latest as far as I know, so still doesn't answer the mouse problem.

So frustrating.

Pete

Clark

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

If I remember correctly, the original game had some issues with mice,
depending on which one you were using. The updates helped, so get that done
and check again.

Clark

"Pedro" <shite67@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Colonel Flagg" <colonel_flagg@NOSOUPFORJ00-internetwarzone.org> wrote in
> message news:eek:972h1952maie8pd03dmudqsq29rbh99hg@4ax.com...
>> On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 11:50:06 +1000, "Pedro" <shite67@hotmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Guys,
>>> Bought the original Battlefield 1942 last week and having a really
>>> buggy
>>>problem with it.
>>>
>>>Essentially I enter a single player or custom map and after about 5mins
>>>the
>>>mouse locks up just going with whatever last command it received.
>>>Keyboard
>>>continues to work etc, just the mouse.
>>>
>>> I'm using a A4 Tech wireless keyboard and mouse setup. Even after
>>> killing
>>>the game, the mouse is still dead in windows so I have to reboot.
>>>
>>>Anyone got any ideas?
>>>
>>>Game came with version 1.03.01. I've been searching for update patches
>>>and
>>>have from 1.04.501 onwards, just can't get from 1.03 to 1.04. Pretty
>>>amazing
>>>as I've downloaded over 400mb in patches, and can't still update it.
>>>
>>>TIA.
>>>
>>>Pete
>>>

>> only patches for the game that you need is the 1.6 and 1.61b patch.
>>
>> ftp://largedownloads.ea.com/pub/patches/battlefield_1942_patch_v1.6.19.exe
>>
>> &&
>>
>> ftp://largedownloads.ea.com/pub/patches/battlefield_1942_incremental_patch_v1.6_to_v1.61b.exe
>>
>> then login to our IWZ CTF 64 player server :)
>>
>> as for the mouse problem, because you lose it in windows, i suspect it
>> may be a directx issue, but i could be wrong. try updating directx and
>> see if that works for you.
>>

>> /CF
>
> Thanks for your reply. I've got Directx 9.0c running at the moment. That's
> the latest as far as I know, so still doesn't answer the mouse problem.
>
> So frustrating.
>
> Pete

Pedro

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2004

I managed to get the updates done. Went no problem.

However the wireless mouse problem is still there. Just freezes and
keeps repeating the last command given. Still need to reboot the pc
once that happens.

I borrowed my daughters usb mouse and it works no problem though.

Go figure?!

I don't know what else to do at this stage.

Pete

Clark

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

Could anything be interfering with the wireless part?

Are there any settings you could adjust to see if it helps, like repeat
speed or something similar? Do you have the latest drivers?

>I managed to get the updates done. Went no problem.
>
> However the wireless mouse problem is still there. Just freezes and
> keeps repeating the last command given. Still need to reboot the pc
> once that happens.
>
> I borrowed my daughters usb mouse and it works no problem though.
>
> Go figure?!
>
> I don't know what else to do at this stage.
>
> Pete

Malcolm

Pedro wrote:
> Guys,
> Bought the original Battlefield 1942 last week and having a really buggy
> problem with it.
>
> Essentially I enter a single player or custom map and after about 5mins the
> mouse locks up just going with whatever last command it received. Keyboard
> continues to work etc, just the mouse.
>
> I'm using a A4 Tech wireless keyboard and mouse setup. Even after killing
> the game, the mouse is still dead in windows so I have to reboot.
>
> Anyone got any ideas?
>
> Game came with version 1.03.01. I've been searching for update patches and
> have from 1.04.501 onwards, just can't get from 1.03 to 1.04. Pretty amazing
> as I've downloaded over 400mb in patches, and can't still update it.
>
> TIA.
>
> Pete

the latest patch for BF1942 is 1.61b
personally I hate wireless mice for FPS games,
theres always a slight feeling of laggy detached play with them.
I prefer the full USB opticals used with the PS2 adaptor.
PS2 operates at a much lower level into the PC than USB.
the USB bus can get flooded with messages and weird things happen.
its not meant for real time control.

[AGB] malcolm

Malcolm

Pedro wrote:
> Guys,
> Bought the original Battlefield 1942 last week and having a really buggy
> problem with it.
>
> Essentially I enter a single player or custom map and after about 5mins the
> mouse locks up just going with whatever last command it received. Keyboard
> continues to work etc, just the mouse.
>
> I'm using a A4 Tech wireless keyboard and mouse setup. Even after killing
> the game, the mouse is still dead in windows so I have to reboot.
>
> Anyone got any ideas?
>
> Game came with version 1.03.01. I've been searching for update patches and
> have from 1.04.501 onwards, just can't get from 1.03 to 1.04. Pretty amazing
> as I've downloaded over 400mb in patches, and can't still update it.
>
> TIA.
>
> Pete

PS; I used to get the weird spin and look up at the sky routine, when
playing BF1942 with Microsoft USB mouse, my Logitech one doesnt do this.

[AGB] malcolm

sadatoni

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2005

I always had that problem with a wireless mouse - the suddenly looking
at the sky, or for me, the floor too, -- both a GE, and micro
innovations wireless mice. Since switching to a wired USB mouse, it
this problem hasn't recurred.

The GE mouse is now at work, and the other one I'm giving to my
daughter.