Why are games crashing my new computer?

ghastaphish

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013
So far I've only tried Civ 5 and League of Legends but the results are similar. I'll be playing for a while, anywhere between 5 and 20 minutes, and then the screen will go black and i have to restart the computer. In the case of Civ 5, there is a high pitched screeching noise that happens. Please, any suggestions on how to fix this? I have the latest drivers for graphics card and motherboard.
my build is:
Intel Pentium G860
Windows 7 64bit
Asrock h77m micro atx board
Powercolor Radeon 7850 HD
Cooler Master Extreme Power Plus 500w
G.Skill value series 8GB 2x4 RAM
Seagate Barracuda 500GB HDD

I'm also using a Vizio 23inch HD tv for a moniter. Could the TV have anything to do with it, like maybe the resolution is wrong?

Solution
Well we cant really work much with you if we only get a black screen and no error. But the high pitched screeching noise its definitly a Fan.

Check Every single Fan,motherboard speaker, Cpu heatsink,Case Fans, Psu Fan, Video Card. There are many ways to Check which one its making the noise.

For the Psu: you will probably still hear the noise even when the computer is not turn on, still plugged in though, as current would still be going through offending circuitry/components.

Control the Speed of your case Fans, speed them up and check if you get the noise from them. (Or just disconect them take the psu out and connect them again and keep them running, also run the hard drive outside the case)

Check the power connector of the...

chulex67

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011
Well we cant really work much with you if we only get a black screen and no error. But the high pitched screeching noise its definitly a Fan.

Check Every single Fan,motherboard speaker, Cpu heatsink,Case Fans, Psu Fan, Video Card. There are many ways to Check which one its making the noise.

For the Psu: you will probably still hear the noise even when the computer is not turn on, still plugged in though, as current would still be going through offending circuitry/components.

Control the Speed of your case Fans, speed them up and check if you get the noise from them. (Or just disconect them take the psu out and connect them again and keep them running, also run the hard drive outside the case)

Check the power connector of the videocard usually if the videocard use a 6 pin power connector it makes this sound if bad connected.

Motherboard Speaker, yank it out and see if it still happens. or in the worst case it could be a bad capacitor see this pic and check your motherboard.

http://www.pcstats.com/articleimages/200302/capblown_3.jpg
http://www.pcstats.com/articleimages/200302/capblown_6.jpg

I think its the psu, its not a good brand, every psu of coolermaster its a POS only the Silent power series are "good".

Anyways i know its a lot to do, and you have to dissamble the pc and its anoyying as hell, but all of us deal with this kind of stuff atleast 1 time.

good luck(And sorry for my english)

Solution

ghastaphish

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013

Nevermind, it's not the PSU, just got a much better one, and the problem persists. The high pitched sound is coming from the speakers of my monitor.

TRENDING THREADS