Wireless network works, wired doesn't

msa1994

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
So here is my problem

My dad and I were recently trying to hook up a new computer to our network.

We went to our basement and were plugging in a cat5 when we realized that all of our wired connections were running out of a 5 port switchbox which then ran into the router. So we unplugged them all and plugged them directly into the router. Now none of the wired connections work.

We have wireless, as Im typing this on my moms inspiron mini, but no wired connections work. I am good with computers but not with networking so any and all help will be appreciated.

I have plugged all the cables back into the switchbox to no avail. In win. 7 it says I have a local area connection but that its not connected to the network.

When i troubleshoot the problem it starts identifying the network for about a minute and then switches to unidentified network, public network. I haven't tried much else, because I can't seem to find anyone who has the same problem as me.

Thanks in advance

Solution
Tried a simple reboot of the router yet? If that doesn't work, do a factory reset on the router (via the admin console if you can get to it, or via the hardware button on the router itself).