Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Not sure which 680

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
January 21, 2013 3:47:24 AM

Hey Guys,
Ive been looking for ages for a 680 and im still no where near deciding what to get..
I will be removing the stock cooler and be putting on a waterblock so it makes it harder to find 1.
My price limit for the card is $620 as I will be buying my waterblock in the future.
And 1 last thing I would like it to be overclocked as far as possible ( I will be overclocking it ) so the best overclocking card Is the 1 i choose.
I hope you guys can help me.
So far im looking at this:
EVGA GeForce GTX 680 2GB
1006MHz (1058MHz boost), with 2GB of GDDR5 memory at 6008MHz with a 256bit bus.
But im not sure how far it can be overclocked...
Thanks guys!

More about : 680

a b Î Nvidia
a c 131 K Overclocking
January 21, 2013 9:39:34 AM

Yes best of an OCer but Nvidia boost limtis it to less than 10 % OC.
Get an HD7970 GHz or even a normal HD7970.

Cheaper and faster.

m
0
l
Related resources
January 21, 2013 11:21:02 AM

I cant get a Waterblock for the lightning edition in australia :( 
And will the 7970 getter better frames in Battlefield 3 at 1920x1080 ?
Or should I Wait for the 8000 series ?
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
a c 131 K Overclocking
January 21, 2013 11:46:29 AM

danyon said:
I cant get a Waterblock for the lightning edition in australia :( 
And will the 7970 getter better frames in Battlefield 3 at 1920x1080 ?
Or should I Wait for the 8000 series ?


The HD7970 GHz will get much better frames, but since the normal HD7970 and the GHz Edition are the same chip with different clocks, you may as well pay less for the normal one and OC it yourself.

Don't play the waiting game, never works.
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
a b K Overclocking
January 21, 2013 1:24:30 PM

Novuake said:
The HD7970 GHz will get much better frames, but since the normal HD7970 and the GHz Edition are the same chip with different clocks, you may as well pay less for the normal one and OC it yourself.

Don't play the waiting game, never works.


Nvidia GTX 670 is on the same level of Radeon 7970 performance wise.

Radeon 7970 and Radeon 7970 Ghz ed. aren't the same.

http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/7000/79...

http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/7000/79...

Look at the specs.

Radeon 7970 Ghz ed. isn't really that much faster. I would guess 5% overall, or even less than GTX 680.
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
a c 131 K Overclocking
January 21, 2013 1:28:31 PM

lostgamer_03 said:
Nvidia GTX 670 is on the same level of Radeon 7970 performance wise.

Radeon 7970 and Radeon 7970 Ghz ed. aren't the same.

http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/7000/79...

http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/7000/79...

Look at the specs.

Radeon 7970 Ghz ed. isn't really that much faster. I would guess 5% overall, or even less than GTX 680.


Your sure about that? Some prove?

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-car...

Toms puts the HD7970 GHz one tier higher than the GTX680. Since the HD7970 is the SAME chip as the GHz edition. It can be OCd to the GHz with zero risk(same card remember).

Now. I ask again, are you sure about that?

EDIT : When I say the same card/chip, I mean EVERY spec except the clock speeds are the same. BUT THE POTENTIAL clock from an OC is identical.
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
a b K Overclocking
January 21, 2013 4:05:47 PM

Novuake said:
Your sure about that? Some prove?

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-car...

Toms puts the HD7970 GHz one tier higher than the GTX680. Since the HD7970 is the SAME chip as the GHz edition. It can be OCd to the GHz with zero risk(same card remember).

Now. I ask again, are you sure about that?

EDIT : When I say the same card/chip, I mean EVERY spec except the clock speeds are the same. BUT THE POTENTIAL clock from an OC is identical.


Memory bandwidth is different too, look at the links I posted.

And GTX 660 TI is on level with Radeon 7870, at least Tomshardware say so, but in the reality it is on the same level as Radeon 7950, so what about that?
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
a c 131 K Overclocking
January 21, 2013 4:09:41 PM

lostgamer_03 said:
Memory bandwidth is different too, look at the links I posted.

And GTX 660 TI is on level with Radeon 7870, at least Tomshardware say so, but in the reality it is on the same level as Radeon 7950, so what about that?


The reason Tom's dropped the GTX660ti one slot is it is castrated with a 192bit memory interface. And when playing on very high res it can not keep up.

Would you like some benches? Lets get the man some benches...
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
a b K Overclocking
January 21, 2013 4:18:02 PM

Novuake said:
The reason Tom's dropped the GTX660ti one slot is it is castrated with a 192bit memory interface. And when playing on very high res it can not keep up.

Would you like some benches? Lets get the man some benches...


It's meant for 1920x1080 or 1920x1200 gameplay. So that is why and it does quite a good job compared to the 7950 at that resolution.
m
0
l
January 21, 2013 4:23:22 PM

I agree with Novuake.
The 7970 would be a better choice so get it an OC the hell out of it.
When OCed the 7970 easily beats the 680.
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
a c 131 K Overclocking
January 21, 2013 4:26:09 PM

1. A discussion : http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=246264

2. Benches baby :

http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/46905-amd-cataly...
http://alienbabeltech.com/main/?p=32344
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/12/04/gtx_680_vs_ra...

Now note that all these review use drivers from Catalyst 12.11 or newer. That is when AMD starting beating NVidia in this segment.

The thing is looking at neweg, the GTX680 is quite a bit more expensive than the HD7970 GHz Edition as well. So even if it was a perfectly equal race(which in some games it is very close), the AMD would be a much better choice as it is cheaper!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... - HD7970 GHZ

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... - GTX680

Note I took the lowest price for each card I could find on Newegg.

Now, considering again that the HD7970 (normal, slower one) and the HD7970 GHz Ed are the same chip but one is just faster clocked. You can buy an HD7970 (normal, slower one) and OC it EASILY without risk to the HD7970 GHz Ed, and get the same card. Now if you look at the price of the normal one below.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Why the heck would you get a GTX680 that is slower AND $100 more expensive.

The HD7970 and HD7970 GHz Ed even ahs more OCing headroom above the GTX680, making the gap even larger???!!!???
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
a b K Overclocking
January 21, 2013 4:29:01 PM

Novuake said:
1. A discussion : http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=246264

2. Benches baby :

http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/46905-amd-cataly...
http://alienbabeltech.com/main/?p=32344
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/12/04/gtx_680_vs_ra...

Now note that all these review use drivers from Catalyst 12.11 or newer. That is when AMD starting beating NVidia in this segment.

The thing is looking at neweg, the GTX680 is quite a bit more expensive than the HD7970 GHz Edition as well. So even if it was a perfectly equal race(which in some games it is very close), the AMD would be a much better choice as it is cheaper!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... - HD7970 GHZ

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... - GTX680

Note I took the lowest price for each card I could find on Newegg.

Now, considering again that the HD7970 (normal, slower one) and the HD7970 GHz Ed are the same chip but one is just faster clocked. You can buy an HD7970 (normal, slower one) and OC it EASILY without risk to the HD7970 GHz Ed, and get the same card. Now if you look at the price of the normal one below.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Why the heck would you get a GTX680 that is slower AND $100 more expensive.

The HD7970 and HD7970 GHz Ed even ahs more OCing headroom above the GTX680, making the gap even larger???!!!???


http://alienbabeltech.com/main/?p=32344&page=3

Great comparison, the difference is even lower than I thought.
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
a c 131 K Overclocking
January 21, 2013 4:42:07 PM

lostgamer_03 said:
http://alienbabeltech.com/main/?p=32344&page=3

Great comparison, the difference is even lower than I thought.


lol one out of 3? I am not biased, I post what I find and have read. Look at the price difference. Even when they appear to perform the same, the HD7970 is MUCH cheaper...

And those are BETA, the Catalyst 13.1 drivers are already up with even more improvement.
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
a b K Overclocking
January 21, 2013 5:06:13 PM

Novuake said:
lol one out of 3? I am not biased, I post what I find and have read. Look at the price difference. Even when they appear to perform the same, the HD7970 is MUCH cheaper...

And those are BETA, the Catalyst 13.1 drivers are already up with even more improvement.


It's the Ghz edition in that comparison.
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
a c 131 K Overclocking
January 21, 2013 5:22:41 PM

lostgamer_03 said:
It's the Ghz edition in that comparison.


You still don't get it, do you? The GHz Edition is just an HD7970 clocked faster. Most normal HD7970 even have a BIOS switch that switches the card to a much faster clock to near, similar or even higher than the GHz Edition.

m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
a b K Overclocking
January 21, 2013 5:30:26 PM

Novuake said:
You still don't get it, do you? The GHz Edition is just an HD7970 clocked faster. Most normal HD7970 even have a BIOS switch that switches the card to a much faster clock to near, similar or even higher than the GHz Edition.


Still look at the memory bandwidth, it's not the same.

And that switch is called boost. AMD began using it after its succes with the Nvidia 600 series, great ripoff.
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
a c 131 K Overclocking
January 21, 2013 5:38:56 PM

lostgamer_03 said:
Still look at the memory bandwidth, it's not the same.

And that switch is called boost. AMD began using it after its succes with the Nvidia 600 series, great ripoff.


Ok i am done arguing with you, you just proved its not worth it, that switch is a SECONDARY BIOS.
Memory bandwidth changes with memory clock rates.

And that Nvidia boost is the same thing causing massive limitations to Voltage increase OCing on Nvidia cards...

http://www.google.co.za/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=hd7970%20oc%20...

Watch the video, you may understand.

Last time I will be replying to you. Not worth my time. You are clearly an Nvidia fanboy that is clearly not as knowledgeable as you think.
m
0
l
January 21, 2013 8:45:33 PM

lostgamer_03 said:
Nvidia GTX 670 is on the same level of Radeon 7970 performance wise.


According to recent benchmarks and professional and as well end user opinions the common consensus is that the 7970 is the fastest GPU on the planet.
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
a b K Overclocking
January 22, 2013 6:20:29 AM

Tom Burnqest said:
According to recent benchmarks and professional and as well end user opinions the common consensus is that the 7970 is the fastest GPU on the planet.


Ghz ed. is.
m
0
l
January 22, 2013 6:21:33 AM

lostgamer_03 said:
Ghz ed. is.

What is that a 7970 ?
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
January 22, 2013 8:06:55 AM

Why the Hell are you guys Comparing a GTX680 to a 7970Ghz ??
7970 Ghz is a Overclocked 7970.

So you can't compare a Overclocked card with Stock

And if you Overclock a GTX680, 7970Ghz gets his A$$ Kicked.

And MSI Lightning Overclocks near around 1300Mhz very easily.
And can Reach 1400Mhz on Air
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5lANWx6CFQ


And Overclocking a GTX 680 near 1300Mhz Boosts fps by 7 on an Average.
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
a c 131 K Overclocking
January 22, 2013 9:28:44 AM

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/4883/sapphire_radeon_h...

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/09/24/sapphire_vapo...

A GHz Edition maxes out at +/-1200MHz on average. Some reach 1300. That is a 200MHz headroom for even further OC on GHZ Ed. Note again those drivers are old, expect 20% improvement over sept last year.
Once again the AMD is cheaper AND is faster WITH OC considered. A GTX680 can reach those speeds, but the average OC is not near that high.

Il just leave you with that...
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
a c 131 K Overclocking
January 22, 2013 9:35:23 AM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

So you want him to buy a card that is 50Dollars more than the HD7970 GHz, JUST cuz it can OC to similar speeds as the HD7970 GHz???

Makes sense.

The GTX680 can OC that high as I said, BUT thanks to turbo, you get ZERO gains above a certain point.
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_geforce_gtx_68...

1300MHz in that review.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-680-rev...

But if you read the above, you can see that despite the clokc being so fast, you just increase power but average FPS is the same. So OCing the GTX680 that much is pointless and stupid.

Il give heed to what you say if you can post benches and prove...
m
0
l
a c 171 Î Nvidia
a b K Overclocking
January 22, 2013 9:39:01 AM

bishopi5 said:
i cant believe people still think 7970 is better then 680... rofl this whole conversation is halarious, You get like 5 more frames in bf3 and thats only if you managed to overclock the out of it because 680 is easy to get at 1400/7400 but you get AMD drivers, Stutter, Blue Screens. halarious all these dumb AMD fanboys bought the wrong card and cant admit.

Watch the language. :non: 
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
a c 131 K Overclocking
January 22, 2013 9:41:01 AM

bishopi5 said:
i cant believe people still think 7970 is better then 680... rofl this whole conversation is halarious, You get like 5 more frames in bf3 and thats only if you managed to overclock the out of it because 680 is easy to get at 1400/7400 but you get AMD drivers, Stutter, Blue Screens. halarious all these dumb AMD fanboys bought the wrong card and cant admit.


I am no fanboy. I own both Nvidia and AMD, but I can clearly see what AMD has got a better product.

m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
a c 131 K Overclocking
January 22, 2013 9:42:52 AM

Mousemonkey said:
Watch the language. :non: 


HI hi! Do you get like an auto alert if the filter kicks in? Hehe...
m
0
l
a c 171 Î Nvidia
a b K Overclocking
January 22, 2013 9:54:35 AM

Novuake said:
HI hi! Do you get like an auto alert if the filter kicks in? Hehe...

No it's more like a spidey sense thing! :lol: 
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
a c 131 K Overclocking
January 22, 2013 11:03:45 AM

Mousemonkey said:
No it's more like a spidey sense thing! :lol: 

Was wondering, you are like a bloodhound with swearing in the forum. Last time was accidental though...
m
0
l
a c 171 Î Nvidia
a b K Overclocking
January 22, 2013 11:08:42 AM

Novuake said:
Was wondering, you are like a bloodhound with swearing in the forum. Last time was accidental though...

I like to keep people on their toes! :ange:  ;) 
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
January 22, 2013 11:32:04 AM

Ohhh.... Come one. MSI GTX680 Overclocks Like a Beast.
Its average is 1250+Mhz.

And getting 1400Mhz on air is Easy with Voltage Tweaking.
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_gtx_680_lightn...

Quote:
So we now have overclocking enabled with Voltage tweaking. While on air cooling it didn't move mountains in terms of overclocking, we have to say that almost 1400 Mhz on air is very respectable.


And Overclocking on Average increase its performance by 10%
http://hardocp.com/article/2012/07/30/msi_geforce_gtx_6...

Quote:
The LN2 BIOS had an even higher overclock which pushed the GPU extremely close to 1400MHz, and put the memory over 7GHz GDDR5.

In MP3 it was 8.1% faster than the Overclocked AMD Radeon HD 7970 and 18.1% faster than its stock settings.
In BF3 SP it was 4.3% faster than the Overclocked AMD Radeon HD 7970 and 17.9% faster than the stock MSI GeForce GTX 680 Lightning.
In Batman the overclocked MSI GeForce GTX 680 Lightning was 16.2% faster than its stock settings, and 19.3% faster than the Overclocked AMD Radeon HD 7970.
In The Witcher 2 it was 2.4% faster than the Overclocked AMD Radeon HD 7970 and 14.3% faster than the stock settings.
The overclock on the LN2 BIOS increased the performance above the Overclocked AMD Radeon HD 7970 in every game.
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
a c 131 K Overclocking
January 22, 2013 12:25:13 PM

Monday , July 30, 2012

That is the date for that benchmark. I agree that AT THAT TIME the GTX680 was faster. But since 12.11 was released AMD has managed MASSIVE increases in performance across many games.

I have given you RECENT review of the 2 cards. Taking into account driver updates from BOTh AMD and Nvidia.

Find me a recent review proving the GTX680 is STILL faster, and I will discuss this further with you.
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
a c 131 K Overclocking
January 22, 2013 12:31:54 PM

Mousemonkey said:
I like to keep people on their toes! :ange:  ;) 


Are you allowed to participate in menial discussion like this??? Hahaha cuz I am sure you agree with me on this even though you lean to Nvidia(assumption).
m
0
l
a c 171 Î Nvidia
a b K Overclocking
January 22, 2013 3:38:03 PM

Novuake said:
Are you allowed to participate in menial discussion like this??? Hahaha cuz I am sure you agree with me on this even though you lean to Nvidia(assumption).

Sure, why not? And yes, I do prefer Nvidia cards but I'm not into OC'ing the current generation of cards mainly due to the (as I see it) fairly small gains. I run F@H 24/7 so a little factory OC is fine for me because I want reliability not screaming at the redline performance.
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
a c 131 K Overclocking
January 22, 2013 3:44:04 PM

Mousemonkey said:
Sure, why not? And yes, I do prefer Nvidia cards but I'm not into OC'ing the current generation of cards mainly due to the (as I see it) fairly small gains. I run F@H 24/7 so a little factory OC is fine for me because I want reliability not screaming at the redline performance.


Ah ok. Yes fair enough. So your opinion is decidedly neutral. :lol: 
m
0
l
a c 171 Î Nvidia
a b K Overclocking
January 22, 2013 4:44:16 PM

Novuake said:
Ah ok. Yes fair enough. So your opinion is decidedly neutral. :lol: 

As far as all these "What card should I get?" type threads go, yes. :ange: 
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
a c 131 K Overclocking
January 22, 2013 4:51:36 PM

Mousemonkey said:
As far as all these "What card should I get?" type threads go, yes. :ange: 


Safer, but so much less fun...

Then again equal parts fun to frustration sometimes.
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
January 23, 2013 12:46:24 PM

Novuake said:
One game? Smells like bias to me.

How many benches did I post? Three?
How many games were in those benches?


Thats a new Game, So I could find only that New Bench only.

And have you looked at your Benches? Old stuff.
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
a c 131 K Overclocking
January 23, 2013 12:58:54 PM

Sumukh_Bhagat said:
Thats a new Game, So I could find only that New Bench only.

And have you looked at your Benches? Old stuff.


All of them later than September? Old? You are just nitpicking to prove your point.
Still waiting for prove from you. ONE is not enough. Need more than one source and more than one game.
As i have provided.
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
January 23, 2013 1:19:47 PM

Novuake said:
All of them later than September? Old? You are just nitpicking to prove your point.
Still waiting for prove from you. ONE is not enough. Need more than one source and more than one game.
As i have provided.


Have you seen your Benchmark's Driver Versions?

AMD: 12.1
Nvidia: 310.33 :heink: 

And Nvidia and AMD have Improved from those Drivers, ALOT.

I can't find any other New Benches now, Let me take a Look.



And anyone who can Read, Will notice that I am Posting some Good stuff. :lol: 
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
a c 131 K Overclocking
January 23, 2013 1:25:14 PM

Sumukh_Bhagat said:
Have you seen your Benchmark's Driver Versions?

AMD: 12.1
Nvidia: 310.33 :heink: 

And Nvidia and AMD have Improved from those Drivers, ALOT.

I can't find any other New Benches now, Let me take a Look.



And anyone who can Read, Will notice that I am Posting some Good stuff. :lol: 


Yes I did see them.

The latest version is 310.90, it is just a revision, improvements are minimal.

EDIT : just read all over the interwebs, you will see that the majority of people believe the HD7970 GHz is the fastest single card available. Done arguing now, this is getting petty.
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
January 23, 2013 1:29:22 PM

So, Lets Wait till Some New Benchmarks come.
Hopefully DMC or Crysis3 Benchmarks.
m
0
l
!