My build how is it? And What OS Should i use (gaming).

BirdsOfWar

Honorable
Mar 10, 2013
Finally decided i have the money why not build a computer.. after my last computer build for my high school grad project :p. I broke it because thermal paste was stuck on like glue and bend a pin on the processor.. How could i avoid that for future knowledge? Change it more often than 2 years :p ? not use a ton> use more? i clean it before putting new one on with that 2 part solution.. anyway that wasn't my real question just popped into my head..

So i just built this computer mostly for gaming and whatnot maybe if i go back to school for projects idk gaming current needs.. what OS should i get? I have windows xp sp2 stripped down bare (made it myself) works great lite and fast.. i think i have windows vista business from school never tried it.. my brother has windows 8 i could probably find a way to install it (came with his acer or something like that PC)) or my friend goes to Penn State and can get me 7 or 8 free (computer classes get free downloads of it or something like that).. tho i think it would be normal not professional .. or i could just download it but i don't think i will do that.. don't want to get into trouble now do we..

If i go with windows XP How do i slipstream the stat 3 drivers? what is that? does windows xp support SSD Sata 3 (out of box or with drivers installed before os installation? )

This is my rig.

Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K

With ZALMAN CNPS9500A-LED 92mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler

ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

MSI N660 TF 2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 660 2GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL

Crucial M4 CT256M4SSD2 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

CORSAIR TX Series CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

*-*-*-*-* Extras not really important. *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Cooler Master CM Storm Xornet Black Wired USB Optical Gaming Mouse 2000DPI

ASUS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS - OEM

Rosewill THOR V2-White Edition, THOR V2-W Gaming ATX Full Tower Computer Case, support up to E-ATX / XL-ATX, come with Four Fans

Acer S231HLbid Black 23" 5ms HDMI LED-Backlight LCD monitor Slim Design 250 cd/m2 ACM 12,000,000:1 (1000:1)

Actually i wont be using MY windows XP cause its only 32 bit.. ill have to find another.. thanks for your help!

Solution
Its good. You could go for a better graphics card but its your choice. Get windows Home Premium 64 bit. I dont think it really matters

BirdsOfWar

Honorable
Mar 10, 2013
I really hate windows 8 looks.. but i do know you can just push a button to get to a normal desktop but idk.. can i remove the new UI or do i just have to ignore it.. i can just ignore it right and use it like a NORMAL Computer not a tablet on my nice PC.. i don't want a tablet on my PC its so stupid and backwards i don't get why they added it

.. ill have to think about it thank you!

Windows 8

Takes less memory

Faster boots and power downs

Many apps available to give you the windows seven looks and the start button

More secure against viruses/malware

Games Faster

Longer life before Microsoft stops supporting it

XxInvisoShankxX

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013

I myself was on the fence with my OS until I just read this, thanks! haha

BirdsOfWar

Honorable
Mar 10, 2013
I'm sorry i went with windows 7 pro.. its great.. my system starts after my 5 second bios start menu in 2 seconds (i set cause I'm slow at hitting F"x" options if needed) .. its great.. no app crap and smooth as hell.. I only use windows 8 on a non custom laptop but i don't like it, was slow, (but i assume it was the PC).. i wish i had my friend download both for me so i could try it on maybe a dual boot or something.. but until i run into problems ill stick with the nicer feeling windows for me..

i appreciate the help.. but i don't know why people care so much about a quick boot times.. i mean a few extra seconds for a boot time.. i mean its nice that it starts fast and all but that no reason to use one OS vs another.

the taking up less memory IS but with 8gb I'm doing good and I'm sure all those pre-loaded "apps" are not easy to remove 100% and I'm running a desktop why use a tablet OS ? just kinda ridiculous IMHO

Right click on every tile in metro except the desktop one . Uninstall them

Downlaod and install one of the start button programs
I used Classic Shell

Now your Win 8 64 bit OS looks and behaves like Win7 , except it has all the extras of 8