Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Network slows to crawl when desktop ethernet plugged in

Last response: in Networking
February 25, 2012 6:55:59 PM

My internet service grinds to all but a halt as soon as I plug in the ethernet cable to my desktop. Nothing is running in the background (that I can determine). Nothing is spamming data up or down (that I can determine). I get 40ms ping and 12Mbps downloads on every device I have until I plug in my big boy; then all the speeds come crashing down to 600ms ping and 0.9-1.4Mbps downloads (including the desktop, I have not been able to play SWTOR for weeks now).
It's not the provider, (I thought it was) but I switched from Time Warner to AT&T with the exact same results.
Thoughts? I'm leaning toward my mobo. ASUS P8P67 Pro; I've had funky issues with USB ports and one SATA port died. Other friends suggest I may have an awful bug and I need to wipe and start over. I wouldn't mind doing that, but I don't have a windows recovery disk (my copy is legitimate).

Mobo-as listed.
CPU- i5-2500k stock, not clocked
RAM- 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600

Do you really need to know the rest?

Best solution

February 25, 2012 8:10:10 PM

Open resource monitor on your desktop (Win7 type resource monitor in the search bar and it will show up), and switch to the network tab. This should show whats eating up all your bandwidth. A buddy of mine had installed google music and it was trying to upload all of their music every time they had a network connection, maybe there is something similar happening. This seems like something you should be able to troubleshoot, a re-install seems a bit much imo to fix this.
Related resources
February 26, 2012 9:28:26 PM

Best answer selected by Big Daddy Rhino.
m
l
February 26, 2012 9:29:43 PM

tomatthe, I thought I had done all I could to view my network signal but your trick was right on point. Freakin' GOOGLE MUSIC was the culprit, just like your buddy. Trying to shove 100Mbps up my network. Crazy.
Thanks buddy, I've got my gaming rig back.
m
l
!