Sign in with
Your question

Which GTX660 GPU should I get for new rig?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 21, 2013 11:48:04 AM

Hello everyone,

My first post here so sorry for n00bishness. Anyways, after reading several threads here and guides in other place I'm convinced to buy GTX660 (not Ti, not dual cards and not OC) and to OC it myself.

After checking stores at my vicinity (not from US or UK BTW so shipping from amazon/newegg/etc is not an option and prices converted to USD) it came down to these two:

ZOTAC GeForce GTX 660 [ZT-60901-10M]
http://www.zotacusa.com/geforce-gtx-660-zt-60901-10m.ht...
283$ and 2 years warranty, also promises better max resolution (that I most likely never use)

ASUS GTX660-DC2-2GD5
http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/GTX660DC22GD5/
347$ and 3 years warranty, also promises +20% cooler (which is better for the OC I want to do and I don't care about the noise levels)

So will those 64$ (or 240 ILS in local currency) worth it? I know the thumb-rule of choosing the cheapest (price-wise) card of its kind but I really like ASUS (at least over MSI) and I've never heard of ZOTAC before.

Are ZOTAC good? Will the cheaper one can handle OCing? So what should I buy?

More about : gtx660 gpu rig

a c 109 U Graphics card
January 21, 2013 11:59:41 AM

Hell no!
January 21, 2013 8:08:58 PM

Can I have a second opinion (longer than 2 words) about ZOTAC, please?
And thank you amuffin.
Related resources
a c 273 U Graphics card
January 21, 2013 9:39:59 PM

Zotac are just another brand name and when someone like amuffin can't say why you shouldn't buy from them that should tell you that his opinion can be ignored.
a c 109 U Graphics card
January 22, 2013 3:31:08 AM

Mousemonkey said:
Zotac are just another brand name and when someone like amuffin can't say why you shouldn't buy from them that should tell you that his opinion can be ignored.

I was referring to paying the extra $64 for the ASUS card. :whistle: 

Anyway, the Zotac one will do exactly what the ASUS one will do.
a c 273 U Graphics card
January 22, 2013 3:57:03 AM

amuffin said:
I was referring to paying the extra $64 for the ASUS card. :whistle: 

That wasn't very clear in your post.
January 22, 2013 6:02:53 AM

OK, and is it possible (and recommended) to OC the Zotac card even though it has only the basic cooling and not a more advanced one?
It seems kind of waste not to OC to the factory-OC but I don't want to risk the card.
a b U Graphics card
January 22, 2013 6:16:30 AM

From the link of the zotac card you post it does not have the basic/stock cooler. That zotac will be fine for OCing.
Also I think it is not kind of waste not to OC. There are people who tend not to OC because some of their sellers void their warranty. If your just a casual gamer, not those who do benchmarks and stuffs, for me, OCing is only needed if your card is already in the period of falling back from newer games and needs to be upgraded. just opinion though.
Anyway, can you mention where are you from, maybe there is someone who can help you with good deals and stuffs. because those prices are pretty high for a 660.
a b U Graphics card
January 22, 2013 7:43:48 AM

1 Israeli New Sheqel equals(ILS) = 0.27 US Dollar i think
a c 109 U Graphics card
January 23, 2013 12:53:33 AM

Mousemonkey said:
That wasn't very clear in your post.

Yeah yeah yeah, I know. :sarcastic: 
!