Sign in with
Your question
Solved

$2000 rendering/gaming build advice

Last response: in Systems
March 11, 2013 1:01:57 AM

I am building a new PC for the first time. any help, advice, or reccomendations would be appreciated.

Approximate Purchase Date: within 3 or 4 months

Budget Range: ~$2000 after rebates and shipping costs

System Usage from Most to Least Important: CPU intensive programs/CAD/Rendering, Gaming

Are you buying a monitor: Yes, at least 23 in

Parts to Upgrade: Completely new build

Do you need to buy OS: Yes

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Whatever is reliable and has good deals

Parts Preferences: Intel only for CPU, reliability is a must

Overclocking: Yes, as soon as I learn how

SLI or Crossfire: Yes, for future upgrades

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: I would prefer to use the Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case for its noise-dampening material and clean looks, and I will be using a Blu-Ray drive often enough to justify the extra cost. Here's my current build ideas:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD4H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($164.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($105.98 @ Outlet PC)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card ($392.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($129.99 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional Gold 750W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 Full (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Asus PB238Q 23.0" Monitor ($215.99 @ Amazon)
Keyboard: Microsoft SIDEWINDER X4 Wired Gaming Keyboard ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Mouse: Gigabyte GM-M8000X Wired Laser Mouse ($59.99 @ Microcenter)
Total: $1949.84
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-03-10 21:54 EDT-0400)
March 11, 2013 1:08:46 AM

Note: I have looked at keyboards and mice and like the feel of those two, but if anybody has a better products for the same or less I would love to look at them :p 
March 11, 2013 1:09:25 AM

Its good thats for sure. Not much else I can say about suggestions. Hope you have fun

Watercooling maybe?
Related resources
March 11, 2013 1:16:23 AM

If your going for Win8 I would personally recommend a touch enabled monitor, it really is a shame to install 8 without a touchscreen. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... - unlock the potential, lol.

EDIT: Almost forgot , build looks great, normally i would suggest stepping down to i5 but you actually need the i7 for CAD and such so rock on, and have fun building her.

Best solution

March 11, 2013 2:05:54 AM

MotherFerJones said:
If your going for Win8 I would personally recommend a touch enabled monitor, it really is a shame to install 8 without a touchscreen. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... - unlock the potential, lol.

EDIT: Almost forgot , build looks great, normally i would suggest stepping down to i5 but you actually need the i7 for CAD and such so rock on, and have fun building her.

You can run Windows 8 without a touch screen, it's not necessary to run one. I'd personally rather go for an ultra high resolution 1440P display especially if you plan to do rendering on your system.

Quote:
Watercooling maybe?

Not needed. Especially for a first time builder - stick with air, but get a D14 over a 212 Evo.

The original build looks really good - a lot of components I would suggest. For rendering though I'd drop the BD-R drive (software isn't included and costs an extra $100) and the expensive peripherals and then go for a dual GTX 670 setup as you will benefit from the added hardware acceleration which the Radeons lack.
March 11, 2013 3:18:07 AM

3-4 months is a bit too long but it'll give you an idea for now. Although intel will be releasing their new cpus in june so you'd probably be wanting that.

Radeons have hw acceleration too and amd is actually preferred for autocad. Although stating specific programs would let us help more.
March 11, 2013 3:49:17 AM

The programs I will be using are Solidworks and AutoCAD, and probably CATIA and/or Unigraphics later on. Also, I may be using Adobe products for some side stuff, but probably not. I would like to have a 1440p display or dual GPUs but I think that will bump it out of my price range, even after dropping the peripherals and Blu-Ray drive. I have about $4000 to spend and am planning on getting the new Samsung Series 7 Ultra laptop when they are released in the US, so I have to plan on that too for my budget (which may end up giving me the wiggle room necessary to buy that stuff if it's a good margin cheaper than $2000 :p  ) Also, when you say D14 what brand is that? Thanks! :D 
March 11, 2013 3:49:22 AM

The programs I will be using are Solidworks and AutoCAD, and probably CATIA and/or Unigraphics later on. Also, I may be using Adobe products for some side stuff, but probably not. I would like to have a 1440p display or dual GPUs but I think that will bump it out of my price range, even after dropping the peripherals and Blu-Ray drive. I have about $4000 to spend and am planning on getting the new Samsung Series 7 Ultra laptop when they are released in the US, so I have to plan on that too for my budget (which may end up giving me the wiggle room necessary to buy that stuff if it's a good margin cheaper than $2000 :p  ) Also, when you say D14 what brand is that? Thanks! :D 
March 11, 2013 10:07:37 AM

k1114 said:
3-4 months is a bit too long but it'll give you an idea for now. Although intel will be releasing their new cpus in june so you'd probably be wanting that.

Radeons have hw acceleration too and amd is actually preferred for autocad. Although stating specific programs would let us help more.

Really? I've usually heard that NVIDIA is preferred for AutoCAD but either one is fine.
March 11, 2013 10:27:36 AM

k1114 said:

Really? I've usually heard that NVIDIA is preferred for AutoCAD but either one is fine.
March 11, 2013 11:09:28 AM

Noctua NH-D14
March 11, 2013 11:17:44 AM

AMD vs Nvidia should not make a difference big enough to really notice even in CAD. I would consider W7 though. W8 is buggy.
March 11, 2013 12:57:19 PM

Unless you are using premiere or after effects, everything else is opengl/cl. I won't mention any dx since either will do fine there. W8 is not buggy. I've had it since it came out, (not counting use during beta) and have yet to come across a bug or incompatibility.
March 11, 2013 5:04:06 PM

g-unit1111 said:
MotherFerJones said:

You can run Windows 8 without a touch screen, it's not necessary to run one. I'd personally rather go for an ultra high resolution 1440P display especially if you plan to do rendering on your system.

Quote:
Watercooling maybe?

Not needed. Especially for a first time builder - stick with air, but get a D14 over a 212 Evo.

The original build looks really good - a lot of components I would suggest. For rendering though I'd drop the BD-R drive (software isn't included and costs an extra $100) and the expensive peripherals and then go for a dual GTX 670 setup as you will benefit from the added hardware acceleration which the Radeons lack.

I missed the part in my post where i said he NEEDED a touchscreen to run 8, everyone knows you can run it without touch, I said it was a shame to do so, which it is.

March 11, 2013 9:15:26 PM

I'd still never buy a touchscreen but will have to say this is a personal preference. I had to work on an aio at a job so I have tons of hours on one with w8. I worked on plenty of cintiqs too in the past with plenty of other os's. But most everything is on desktop and a mouse is what you need for cad, catia, etc programs he uses (a stylus will do well too). I only used metro on tablets. But I do regularly use a wacom and it's nice too have (on w7 but this goes for any os). Using a stylus and tapping to click is much more fluid/natural than a mouse. But it is also better to do it on a flat surface than at a steep angle that a touchscreen would be at. Using your finger also gets tiring and can be inaccurate, not to mention annoying smudges. All in all the advantage of touch is not with w8 but the actual ability of touch. W8 metro may be optimized for fat fingers but it is not suited for certain work environments.
March 11, 2013 10:56:39 PM

k1114 said:
I'd still never buy a touchscreen but will have to say this is a personal preference. I had to work on an aio at a job so I have tons of hours on one with w8. I worked on plenty of cintiqs too in the past with plenty of other os's. But most everything is on desktop and a mouse is what you need for cad, catia, etc programs he uses (a stylus will do well too). I only used metro on tablets. But I do regularly use a wacom and it's nice too have (on w7 but this goes for any os). Using a stylus and tapping to click is much more fluid/natural than a mouse. But it is also better to do it on a flat surface than at a steep angle that a touchscreen would be at. Using your finger also gets tiring and can be inaccurate, not to mention annoying smudges. All in all the advantage of touch is not with w8 but the actual ability of touch. W8 metro may be optimized for fat fingers but it is not suited for certain work environments.

I agree 100%, I think a touch screen would be a massive waste of money for a rendering build. A 1440P display with a tablet and stylus would be a far better investment, especially since you can use the pen far more accurately on 3-D modeling applications than you ever would on a touch screen.
March 12, 2013 2:01:10 AM

g-unit1111 said:
k1114 said:

I agree 100%, I think a touch screen would be a massive waste of money for a rendering build. A 1440P display with a tablet and stylus would be a far better investment, especially since you can use the pen far more accurately on 3-D modeling applications than you ever would on a touch screen.

So what 1440p displays are there out there for a reasonable price? (<$300) I would like to get one but I don't know which features or things are exactly important. I have an easier time with the basic components :p  Also, it'd be great if the monitor size could be somewhere around 23 inches. Much larger and it'll be too big, and too small and it becomes unuseable.
March 18, 2013 9:28:12 AM

F4lconF16 said:
g-unit1111 said:
k1114 said:

So what 1440p displays are there out there for a reasonable price? (<$300) I would like to get one but I don't know which features or things are exactly important. I have an easier time with the basic components :p  Also, it'd be great if the monitor size could be somewhere around 23 inches. Much larger and it'll be too big, and too small and it becomes unuseable.

Check eBay for monitors like the Yamakasi Catleap and the Achieva Shimian. Both of those can be had for less than $300 if you search around.
!