Tuner Preamp?

Last response: in Home Audio
June 10, 2004 7:21:00 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tech (More info?)

I'm looking for feedback about which type and brand of product to look at.
I would like to take the audio signal from my VCR and my DVD (only two
channel audio) and send it to my amp (which has no volume control). I also
would like to add radio to the mix and control the volume thru a remote.
Apparently a receiver would do this, however, receivers usually already have
an amp build in, which I don't need. So I guess I'm looking for a tuner
preamp, if that exists.

Now the other thing is, I'm dealing with cheap stuff (my amp, sub, and
speakers combined cost under $100), so I'm not looking for anything fancy,
just for something that works, preferably under $100. Any suggestions on
which brand or to look at.

Thanks,
Harry

More about : tuner preamp

Anonymous
June 10, 2004 8:18:38 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tech (More info?)

Tuner-preamps are relatively rare birds, especially at low prices.
You have a better chance finding a suitable receiver; just disregard
the amps and use the line level outputs (assuming you get a receiver
with such outputs).

Kal

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 15:21:00 -0400, "Harry Muscle"
<fake@AT@e-mail.com> wrote:

>I'm looking for feedback about which type and brand of product to look at.
>I would like to take the audio signal from my VCR and my DVD (only two
>channel audio) and send it to my amp (which has no volume control). I also
>would like to add radio to the mix and control the volume thru a remote.
>Apparently a receiver would do this, however, receivers usually already have
>an amp build in, which I don't need. So I guess I'm looking for a tuner
>preamp, if that exists.
>
>Now the other thing is, I'm dealing with cheap stuff (my amp, sub, and
>speakers combined cost under $100), so I'm not looking for anything fancy,
>just for something that works, preferably under $100. Any suggestions on
>which brand or to look at.
>
>Thanks,
>Harry

Anonymous
June 11, 2004 3:53:05 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tech (More info?)

Both Sony and Teac make 100wpc Stereo Receivers that sell for less than $100
at Best Buy et al. Just scrap (or sell) your current amp and buy one.

The only alternative is to look for used NAD tuner/preamps on eBay or
Audiogon and buy one of those.

Harry

"Harry Muscle" <fake@AT@e-mail.com> wrote in message
> I'm looking for feedback about which type and brand of product to look at.
> I would like to take the audio signal from my VCR and my DVD (only two
> channel audio) and send it to my amp (which has no volume control). I
also
> would like to add radio to the mix and control the volume thru a remote.
> Apparently a receiver would do this, however, receivers usually already
have
> an amp build in, which I don't need. So I guess I'm looking for a tuner
> preamp, if that exists.
>
> Now the other thing is, I'm dealing with cheap stuff (my amp, sub, and
> speakers combined cost under $100), so I'm not looking for anything fancy,
> just for something that works, preferably under $100. Any suggestions on
> which brand or to look at.
>
> Thanks,
> Harry

June 11, 2004 3:53:06 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tech (More info?)

How about an Adcom tuner-pre on eBay?

Mark Z.

"Harry Lavo" <harry.lavo@rcn.com> wrote in message
> Both Sony and Teac make 100wpc Stereo Receivers that sell for less than
$100
> at Best Buy et al. Just scrap (or sell) your current amp and buy one.
>
> The only alternative is to look for used NAD tuner/preamps on eBay or
> Audiogon and buy one of those.
>
> Harry
>
> "Harry Muscle" <fake@AT@e-mail.com> wrote in message
> > I'm looking for feedback about which type and brand of product to look
at.
> > I would like to take the audio signal from my VCR and my DVD (only two
> > channel audio) and send it to my amp (which has no volume control). I
> also
> > would like to add radio to the mix and control the volume thru a remote.
> > Apparently a receiver would do this, however, receivers usually already
> have
> > an amp build in, which I don't need. So I guess I'm looking for a tuner
> > preamp, if that exists.
> >
> > Now the other thing is, I'm dealing with cheap stuff (my amp, sub, and
> > speakers combined cost under $100), so I'm not looking for anything
fancy,
> > just for something that works, preferably under $100. Any suggestions
on
> > which brand or to look at.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Harry

Anonymous
June 11, 2004 2:28:33 PM

"Kalman Rubinson" <kr4@nyu.edu> wrote in message
> Tuner-preamps are relatively rare birds, especially at low prices.
> You have a better chance finding a suitable receiver; just disregard
> the amps and use the line level outputs (assuming you get a receiver
> with such outputs).
>
> Kal

I check out some of the suggestions that I received in this thread, however,
it looks like all of the cheaper priced receivers don't give you a line
level out (or preamp out) and I really would like to continue using my amp.
The ones that I checked were Sony STR-DE197, Sony STR-DE185, Sherwood
RX-4100, and Technics SA-EX140, I'd like to check Teac AG-780, but I can't
locate a manual for it.

Anyway, just curious, is it possible to use the headphone jack as a line
level out? Sorry if this is a silly question, I'm sort of new to this, and
this idea popped into my head.

Thanks,
Harry
Anonymous
June 11, 2004 3:36:34 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tech (More info?)

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 10:28:33 -0400, "Harry Muscle"
<fake@AT@e-mail.com> wrote:

>I check out some of the suggestions that I received in this thread, however,
>it looks like all of the cheaper priced receivers don't give you a line
>level out (or preamp out) and I really would like to continue using my amp.

The very cheap ones give you very little. You might be better off
with a used decent one.

>Anyway, just curious, is it possible to use the headphone jack as a line
>level out? Sorry if this is a silly question, I'm sort of new to this, and
>this idea popped into my head.

It will work but you have to wonder if the quality of the headphone
driver would justify using your amp. Cheap is cheap.

Kal
Anonymous
June 11, 2004 4:03:58 PM

> On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 10:28:33 -0400, "Harry Muscle"
> <fake@AT@e-mail.com> wrote:
>
> >I check out some of the suggestions that I received in this thread,
however,
> >it looks like all of the cheaper priced receivers don't give you a line
> >level out (or preamp out) and I really would like to continue using my
amp.

> The very cheap ones give you very little. You might be better off
> with a used decent one.
>
> >Anyway, just curious, is it possible to use the headphone jack as a line
> >level out? Sorry if this is a silly question, I'm sort of new to this,
and
> >this idea popped into my head.
>
> It will work but you have to wonder if the quality of the headphone
> driver would justify using your amp. Cheap is cheap.
>
> Kal

Makes sense, I was also wondering about the Tape and VCR out. Most of the
receivers in my price range have one or both of these outputs. I'm guessing
that everything that gets send to the speakers would get send to these
outputs so you can tape it, meaning it would be a perfect out. However,
does anyone know if the volume on Tape and VCR outputs changes when you
increase or decrease the volume or does it stay constant all the time?

Thanks,
Harry
Anonymous
June 11, 2004 5:14:36 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tech (More info?)

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 12:03:58 -0400, "Harry Muscle"
<fake@AT@e-mail.com> wrote:

>Makes sense, I was also wondering about the Tape and VCR out. Most of the
>receivers in my price range have one or both of these outputs. I'm guessing
>that everything that gets send to the speakers would get send to these
>outputs so you can tape it, meaning it would be a perfect out. However,
>does anyone know if the volume on Tape and VCR outputs changes when you
>increase or decrease the volume or does it stay constant all the time?

It is constant, not volume (or tone or DSP)-controlled. Generally,
not suitable for driving an amp.

Kal
June 11, 2004 6:53:44 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tech (More info?)

Adcom GTP-500 would be the model, just make sure it works correctly,
the switching IC's are static sensitive and cost $15 each.

Terry

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 20:29:24 -0500, "Mark D. Zacharias"
<mzacharias@yis.us> wrote:

>How about an Adcom tuner-pre on eBay?
>
>Mark Z.

Terry
WB4NHB
www.mcintoshaudio.com
Anonymous
June 11, 2004 8:43:24 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.misc (More info?)

"Terry" <dewickt@esper.com> wrote in message
> Adcom GTP-500 would be the model, just make sure it works correctly,
> the switching IC's are static sensitive and cost $15 each.
>
> Terry
>
> On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 20:29:24 -0500, "Mark D. Zacharias"
> <mzacharias@yis.us> wrote:
>
> >How about an Adcom tuner-pre on eBay?
> >
> >Mark Z.
>
> Terry
> WB4NHB
> www.mcintoshaudio.com

How about the GTP-450, it's a bit cheaper. Do you know off hand what the
differences would be between the 450 & 500?

Thanks,
Harry
Anonymous
June 11, 2004 9:15:44 PM

> "Kalman Rubinson" <kr4@nyu.edu> wrote in message
> > On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 10:28:33 -0400, "Harry Muscle"
> > <fake@AT@e-mail.com> wrote:
> >
> > >I check out some of the suggestions that I received in this thread,
> however,
> > >it looks like all of the cheaper priced receivers don't give you a line
> > >level out (or preamp out) and I really would like to continue using my
> amp.
> >
> > The very cheap ones give you very little. You might be better off
> > with a used decent one.
> >
> > >Anyway, just curious, is it possible to use the headphone jack as a
line
> > >level out? Sorry if this is a silly question, I'm sort of new to this,
> and
> > >this idea popped into my head.
> >
> > It will work but you have to wonder if the quality of the headphone
> > driver would justify using your amp. Cheap is cheap.
> >
> > Kal
> >

> Makes sense, I was also wondering about the Tape and VCR out. Most of the
> receivers in my price range have one or both of these outputs. I'm
guessing
> that everything that gets send to the speakers would get send to these
> outputs so you can tape it, meaning it would be a perfect out. However,
> does anyone know if the volume on Tape and VCR outputs changes when you
> increase or decrease the volume or does it stay constant all the time?
>
> Thanks,
> Harry

No, unfortunately the tape and VCR outputs are fixed in volume regardless of
the volumn control.

Given that you don't want to give up the amp, then a used NAD (or Adcom as
suggested, although I personally don't think they sound nearly as good)
might be the way to go. They are not too expensive on eBay and are pretty
regularly available.
Anonymous
June 11, 2004 9:15:45 PM

> "Harry Muscle" <fake@AT@e-mail.com> wrote in message
> > "Kalman Rubinson" <kr4@nyu.edu> wrote in message

> > however,
> > amp.
> > >
> > > The very cheap ones give you very little. You might be better off
> > > with a used decent one.

> line
> > and
> > >
> > > It will work but you have to wonder if the quality of the headphone
> > > driver would justify using your amp. Cheap is cheap.
> > >
> > > Kal
> > >

> > Makes sense, I was also wondering about the Tape and VCR out. Most of
the
> > receivers in my price range have one or both of these outputs. I'm
> guessing
> > that everything that gets send to the speakers would get send to these
> > outputs so you can tape it, meaning it would be a perfect out. However,
> > does anyone know if the volume on Tape and VCR outputs changes when you
> > increase or decrease the volume or does it stay constant all the time?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Harry
> >

> No, unfortunately the tape and VCR outputs are fixed in volume regardless
of
> the volumn control.
>
> Given that you don't want to give up the amp, then a used NAD (or Adcom as
> suggested, although I personally don't think they sound nearly as good)
> might be the way to go. They are not too expensive on eBay and are pretty
> regularly available.

One last quick question before I go the "used" way. Is it possible to get a
separate new tuner and new preamp, both with a remote, for under $100US
each? Or am I dreaming? If it is possible, which brands should I look at?

Thanks,
Harry
Anonymous
June 12, 2004 3:04:43 AM

> "Harry Lavo" <harry.lavo@rcn.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Harry Muscle" <fake@AT@e-mail.com> wrote in message
> > > "Kalman Rubinson" <kr4@nyu.edu> wrote in message

> > > however,
> line
> my
> > > amp.

> > line
> this,
> > > and

> > > Makes sense, I was also wondering about the Tape and VCR out. Most of
> the
> > > receivers in my price range have one or both of these outputs. I'm
> > guessing
> > > that everything that gets send to the speakers would get send to these
> > > outputs so you can tape it, meaning it would be a perfect out.
However,
> > > does anyone know if the volume on Tape and VCR outputs changes when
you
> > > increase or decrease the volume or does it stay constant all the time?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Harry
> > >

> > No, unfortunately the tape and VCR outputs are fixed in volume
regardless
> of
> > the volumn control.
> >
> > Given that you don't want to give up the amp, then a used NAD (or Adcom
as
> > suggested, although I personally don't think they sound nearly as good)
> > might be the way to go. They are not too expensive on eBay and are
pretty
> > regularly available.
> >

> One last quick question before I go the "used" way. Is it possible to get
> separate new tuner and new preamp, both with a remote, for under $100US
> each? Or am I dreaming? If it is possible, which brands should I look
at?

> Thanks,
> Harry

I don't know of "either" for under $200, much less both for under $100. I
guess you are having a good sleep. :-)
Anonymous
June 12, 2004 6:12:00 AM

Harry Muscle <fake@AT@e-mail.com> wrote:

> One last quick question before I go the "used" way. Is it possible to get a
> separate new tuner and new preamp, both with a remote, for under $100US
> each? Or am I dreaming? If it is possible, which brands should I look at?

Ultimately, you're running into the same problem. Separate components are
premium components. Separate amp/preamp/tuner systems usually start in the
four digit range, whereas a receiver with line-outs is half of that, and
a basic receiver is maybe a quarter of that. If you get a preamp/tuner or
separate pieces, just so you can use you're existing amp, then you're going
to spend substantially more than you would if you got a complete receiver
and just used that. On the other hand, you'll have better components, not
to mention easier to change. Eventually you might want to replace that amp,
and it'll be a simple purchase.

If you want to do this on the cheap, get a reciever. If you want to be
efficient in your use of 'stuff,' get a receiver with pre-out, or a pre/tuner
in some form or another. If you want to enter the high end, get a pream
and tuner, and then start planning your next purchase. And your next, and
your next, and...

Colin
Anonymous
June 12, 2004 8:46:12 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.misc (More info?)

McIntosh made a number of Tuner Preamps, such as the MX110.
Alternatively, some of the early Marantz solid state receivers,
designed by Sid "Secret Schmoo" Smith and Dick Sequerra, were noted
for great sound but frequent output section failures. Why not remove
the power amp section and use it as a tuner preamp? I doubt the power
supply would put out too much voltage without the power amp section,
but you could always tweak to suit if necessary.
Anonymous
June 13, 2004 6:53:42 PM

"Colin B." <cbigam@somewhereelse.nucleus.com> wrote in message
> Harry Muscle <fake@AT@e-mail.com> wrote:
>
> > One last quick question before I go the "used" way. Is it possible to
get a
> > separate new tuner and new preamp, both with a remote, for under $100US
> > each? Or am I dreaming? If it is possible, which brands should I look
at?

I just recently took into possession from a relative a Harmon Kardon 330A
receiver from the mid-70's. When working, this is one of the sweetest
little receivers ever made. Unfortunately, the one I inherited has problems
that must be solved before it is usuable. However, I did note that it has
preamps out and amp in jacks on the back, normally jumpered. This is almost
unheard of in today's lesser expensive receivers.

This can be found in decent condition on the used market for about $100-125.
They have a good tuner front end, and excellent electronics. You might want
to look for one as an answer to your dilemma/budget.

> Ultimately, you're running into the same problem. Separate components are
> premium components. Separate amp/preamp/tuner systems usually start in the
> four digit range, whereas a receiver with line-outs is half of that, and
> a basic receiver is maybe a quarter of that. If you get a preamp/tuner or
> separate pieces, just so you can use you're existing amp, then you're
going
> to spend substantially more than you would if you got a complete receiver
> and just used that. On the other hand, you'll have better components, not
> to mention easier to change. Eventually you might want to replace that
amp,
> and it'll be a simple purchase.
>
> If you want to do this on the cheap, get a reciever. If you want to be
> efficient in your use of 'stuff,' get a receiver with pre-out, or a
pre/tuner
> in some form or another. If you want to enter the high end, get a pream
> and tuner, and then start planning your next purchase. And your next, and
> your next, and...

Good and accurate advice, IMO.
Anonymous
June 14, 2004 4:38:32 PM

Harry Muscle wrote:
> "Harry Lavo" <harry.lavo@rcn.com> wrote in message
>
>>"Harry Muscle" <fake@AT@e-mail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>"Kalman Rubinson" <kr4@nyu.edu> wrote in message

>>>however,

> line

> my
>
>>>amp.

>>line

> this,
>
>>>and

>>>Makes sense, I was also wondering about the Tape and VCR out. Most of
>
> the
>
>>>receivers in my price range have one or both of these outputs. I'm
>>
>>guessing
>>
>>>that everything that gets send to the speakers would get send to these
>>>outputs so you can tape it, meaning it would be a perfect out. However,
>>>does anyone know if the volume on Tape and VCR outputs changes when you
>>>increase or decrease the volume or does it stay constant all the time?
>>>
>>>Thanks,
>>>Harry
>>>

>>No, unfortunately the tape and VCR outputs are fixed in volume regardless
>
> of
>
>>the volumn control.
>>
>>Given that you don't want to give up the amp, then a used NAD (or Adcom as
>>suggested, although I personally don't think they sound nearly as good)
>>might be the way to go. They are not too expensive on eBay and are pretty
>>regularly available.
>>

> One last quick question before I go the "used" way. Is it possible to get a
> separate new tuner and new preamp, both with a remote, for under $100US
> each? Or am I dreaming? If it is possible, which brands should I look at?
>
> Thanks,
> Harry

Since you have an amp and you want to top it off with a tuner and
pre-amp, or some combination of the 2, you apparently want a quality
setup for your sound system, so why limit yourself to $100 for each
component? Your best bet is to get a good used pre-amp and a good tuner.
I have never even seen a tuner/pre-amp, but I guess they do exist.

A good site to to visit (before going on EBay) to help you find a good
tuner is;

http://fmtunerinfo.com/

As for a good pre-amp, I couldn't really tell you.

good luck,

CD
Anonymous
June 16, 2004 3:17:20 PM

larboard34@hotmail.com (Ted Azito) wrote in message news:<b53da461.0406121546.42afa079@posting.google.com>...
> McIntosh made a number of Tuner Preamps, such as the MX110.
> Alternatively, some of the early Marantz solid state receivers,
> designed by Sid "Secret Schmoo" Smith and Dick Sequerra, were noted
> for great sound but frequent output section failures. Why not remove
> the power amp section and use it as a tuner preamp? I doubt the power
> supply would put out too much voltage without the power amp section,
> but you could always tweak to suit if necessary.

None of the above have the remote control feature that the OP wants.

As another poster suggested, I'd buy a new, low-priced receiver with
remote. Then I'd sell the existing amp (which would push the overall
cost down) and let the new receiver power my speakers.
!