Streaming to a PC

Last response: in Home Theatre Legacy
Share
October 12, 2004 12:58:46 AM

What is the current best solution for this?

More about : streaming

Anonymous
October 12, 2004 12:58:47 AM

Greg wrote:

> What is the current best solution for this?

DVArchive and vlc
Related resources
October 12, 2004 4:13:50 AM

OK Thanks, Nobody has come up with a RTV lookalike interface yet?
Anonymous
October 12, 2004 4:13:51 AM

On 12 Oct 2004 00:13:50 GMT, gfretwell@aol.com (Greg) wrote:

>OK Thanks, Nobody has come up with a RTV lookalike interface yet?

In what way?

DVArchive provides some of that. It looks enough like a Replay, that a
real Replay will recognize it on a network.

I have 3 real Replays (all 5xxx) on my network. The Replay guide will
show 4. The 3 Replays and the computer running DVArchive. It has a
show on it (that was transferred from one of the real Replays) that
can be played from and Replay just like a show on a real Replay.

DVA can act as a remore control for any Replay (plus lets you use the
keyboard).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
October 12, 2004 4:58:09 AM

OK thanks. I guess I have to revisit DVA. I have a copy of an early edition.
Can you start playing a show while it is transferring like a streaming replay?
Anonymous
October 12, 2004 4:58:10 AM

On 12 Oct 2004 00:58:09 GMT, gfretwell@aol.com (Greg) wrote:

>OK thanks. I guess I have to revisit DVA. I have a copy of an early edition.

Version 2.x? The current version (3.1) is a lot more capable. It can
display a guide (which can, and should be setup the same as on your
Replay). You can schedule shows directly from that guide, as well as
see which shows are already scheduled. The guide can be made available
to every computer of your LAN. That's the TV schedule I use now.

>Can you start playing a show while it is transferring like a streaming replay?

Yes, as long as you have the proper player set up on the computer. See
the website for information. Note that this may not work right if your
network is wireless.

One thing they may not tell you, is that DVA works better if your
firewall passes class D addresses (specifically 239.255.255.250) on
your local network.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
Anonymous
October 12, 2004 2:00:21 PM

Greg wrote:

> OK thanks. I guess I have to revisit DVA. I have a copy of an early edition.
> Can you start playing a show while it is transferring like a streaming replay?

THe answer to that depends on the computer.... For example I have
DVArchive running on two computers

1: Laptop. 366Mhz, Win-98se Wired lan (or wireless, my choice) Can
not stream and play at the same time (not enough Mhz)

2: Mini-Tower... 1.8Ghz win eXtra Painful. Wired lan (no choice)

Works as you desire, can play as it downloads, has the horsepower.

It can also stream back to the RTV fast enough for me to watch a show on
it's hard drive on the Television network in the house.

I think the laptop can do that too.. (can not recall if I tried) however
the laptop is 100% occupied doing it since it transfers a 1 hr low
(standard) quality show in about 58 minutes. Like I said, not enough
Mhz (Mini tower can grab medium quaility in less time)

Of course when it comes to Remote controls,,, RePlayTV has the world's
greatest

There is a handy dandy I/R Remote for when I'm in the same room

And DVArchive's Remote feature for when I'm in the same network (house)

And if I happen to be "elsewhere" and remember I really wished to record
a show tomorrow.... There is the myreplaytv web site
Anonymous
October 12, 2004 2:07:25 PM

John in Detroit wrote:

> Greg wrote:
>
>> OK thanks. I guess I have to revisit DVA. I have a copy of an early
>> edition.
>> Can you start playing a show while it is transferring like a streaming
>> replay?
>

> THe answer to that depends on the computer.... For example I have
> DVArchive running on two computers
>
> 1: Laptop. 366Mhz, Win-98se Wired lan (or wireless, my choice) Can
> not stream and play at the same time (not enough Mhz)
>
> 2: Mini-Tower... 1.8Ghz win eXtra Painful. Wired lan (no choice)
>
> Works as you desire, can play as it downloads, has the horsepower.
>

> It can also stream back to the RTV fast enough for me to watch a show on
> it's hard drive on the Television network in the house.
>
> I think the laptop can do that too.. (can not recall if I tried) however
> the laptop is 100% occupied doing it since it transfers a 1 hr low
> (standard) quality show in about 58 minutes. Like I said, not enough
> Mhz (Mini tower can grab medium quaility in less time)
>
> Of course when it comes to Remote controls,,, RePlayTV has the world's
> greatest
>
> There is a handy dandy I/R Remote for when I'm in the same room
>
> And DVArchive's Remote feature for when I'm in the same network (house)
>
> And if I happen to be "elsewhere" and remember I really wished to record
> a show tomorrow.... There is the myreplaytv web site

John

If you really want PVR heaven, enable the DVArchive web interface. That
is so over the top, it's incredible. Gerry Dupree has an incredible
program there that probably accounts for more sales than all of DNNA's
efforts combined.
Anonymous
October 12, 2004 2:07:26 PM

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 10:07:25 -0400, Tony D <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

>John in Detroit wrote:
>
>> Greg wrote:
>>
>>> OK thanks. I guess I have to revisit DVA. I have a copy of an early
>>> edition.
>>> Can you start playing a show while it is transferring like a streaming
>>> replay?
>>

>> THe answer to that depends on the computer.... For example I have
>> DVArchive running on two computers
>>
>> 1: Laptop. 366Mhz, Win-98se Wired lan (or wireless, my choice) Can
>> not stream and play at the same time (not enough Mhz)
>>
>> 2: Mini-Tower... 1.8Ghz win eXtra Painful. Wired lan (no choice)
>>
>> Works as you desire, can play as it downloads, has the horsepower.
>>

>> It can also stream back to the RTV fast enough for me to watch a show on
>> it's hard drive on the Television network in the house.
>>
>> I think the laptop can do that too.. (can not recall if I tried) however
>> the laptop is 100% occupied doing it since it transfers a 1 hr low
>> (standard) quality show in about 58 minutes. Like I said, not enough
>> Mhz (Mini tower can grab medium quaility in less time)
>>
>> Of course when it comes to Remote controls,,, RePlayTV has the world's
>> greatest
>>
>> There is a handy dandy I/R Remote for when I'm in the same room
>>
>> And DVArchive's Remote feature for when I'm in the same network (house)
>>
>> And if I happen to be "elsewhere" and remember I really wished to record
>> a show tomorrow.... There is the myreplaytv web site
>
>John
>
>If you really want PVR heaven, enable the DVArchive web interface. That
>is so over the top, it's incredible. Gerry Dupree has an incredible
>program there that probably accounts for more sales than all of DNNA's
>efforts combined.

It certainly helped sell me on the Replay!

--

Any information contained in this post is merely a
restatement of information found in the news archives

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 10:00:21 GMT, John in Detroit
<Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>Greg wrote:
>
>> OK thanks. I guess I have to revisit DVA. I have a copy of an early edition.
>> Can you start playing a show while it is transferring like a streaming replay?
>
>THe answer to that depends on the computer.... For example I have
>DVArchive running on two computers
>
>1: Laptop. 366Mhz, Win-98se Wired lan (or wireless, my choice) Can
>not stream and play at the same time (not enough Mhz)

I have a few computers that are approximately that speed (and laptops
are slower). DVA was very slow on those machines until I changed the
firewall to pass 239.255.255.250 as I mentioned before.

>2: Mini-Tower... 1.8Ghz win eXtra Painful. Wired lan (no choice)

My regular DVA server is running on a PIII 1.2GHz with 1.5GB RAM at
the moment (BTW, it's named "Mike").

>Works as you desire, can play as it downloads, has the horsepower.
>

>It can also stream back to the RTV fast enough for me to watch a show on
>it's hard drive on the Television network in the house.

I do that. My system is set up where I have 3 additional channels on
every TV in my house. Channel 70 allows watching the DVR (or DVD) from
any TV. Channels 72 & 74 are for security cameras. I use the Xantech
system for remore control. It's much more reliable than those IR/RF/IR
"pyramids".

>I think the laptop can do that too.. (can not recall if I tried) however
> the laptop is 100% occupied doing it since it transfers a 1 hr low
>(standard) quality show in about 58 minutes. Like I said, not enough
>Mhz (Mini tower can grab medium quaility in less time)

Try the 239.255.255.250 suggestion (uPnP address). It has made my
computer (running DVA) much more responsive. This is considered a
class D IP address. These are for local (not internet) use.

>Of course when it comes to Remote controls,,, RePlayTV has the world's
>greatest
>
>There is a handy dandy I/R Remote for when I'm in the same room

I have used an older design (that comes with 2xxx and 3xxx Replays)
before, and find the current one easier to use.

Note that the 55xx remote has a buttton marked "input", but it's the
same as the 5xxx "commercial advance" button. Input selection is one
thing that was better on the 2xxx and 3xxx Replays. Of course, you can
always use a dummy device. I select channel 1010 to use the input on
my Replay.

>And DVArchive's Remote feature for when I'm in the same network (house)

It lets you use the PC keyboard too. Of course, you still need to be
able to see the Replay screen.

>And if I happen to be "elsewhere" and remember I really wished to record
>a show tomorrow.... There is the myreplaytv web site

It's possible to make DVA's web interface usable from the internet,
but you may not want to for security reasons. Use a high, nonstandard
port number (maybe 29900?).

Talking about useful DVA features, don't forget the guide (improved in
DVA 3.1) that lets you schedule shows too. It's usable from any
computer on your network.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
Anonymous
October 12, 2004 4:01:29 PM

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 10:07:25 -0400, Tony D <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

>John in Detroit wrote:
>
>> Greg wrote:
>>
>>> OK thanks. I guess I have to revisit DVA. I have a copy of an early
>>> edition.
>>> Can you start playing a show while it is transferring like a streaming
>>> replay?
>>

>> THe answer to that depends on the computer.... For example I have
>> DVArchive running on two computers
>>
>> 1: Laptop. 366Mhz, Win-98se Wired lan (or wireless, my choice) Can
>> not stream and play at the same time (not enough Mhz)
>>
>> 2: Mini-Tower... 1.8Ghz win eXtra Painful. Wired lan (no choice)
>>
>> Works as you desire, can play as it downloads, has the horsepower.
>>

>> It can also stream back to the RTV fast enough for me to watch a show on
>> it's hard drive on the Television network in the house.
>>
>> I think the laptop can do that too.. (can not recall if I tried) however
>> the laptop is 100% occupied doing it since it transfers a 1 hr low
>> (standard) quality show in about 58 minutes. Like I said, not enough
>> Mhz (Mini tower can grab medium quaility in less time)
>>
>> Of course when it comes to Remote controls,,, RePlayTV has the world's
>> greatest
>>
>> There is a handy dandy I/R Remote for when I'm in the same room
>>
>> And DVArchive's Remote feature for when I'm in the same network (house)
>>
>> And if I happen to be "elsewhere" and remember I really wished to record
>> a show tomorrow.... There is the myreplaytv web site
>
>John
>
>If you really want PVR heaven, enable the DVArchive web interface. That
>is so over the top, it's incredible. Gerry Dupree has an incredible
>program there that probably accounts for more sales than all of DNNA's
>efforts combined.

Yes, it is.

Note that it helps to set it up so it uses the same channel numbers
the Replay(s) themselves use.

That is the television guide I use now (I look at it every morning). I
used to use ZAP2IT, but this is easier. It lets you schedule shows
from the same guide you're looking at.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
Anonymous
October 12, 2004 4:02:56 PM

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 09:41:13 -0500, Juan Hung Lo
<ask_me_for_it@I_dont_do_spam_at.all> wrote:

>On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 10:07:25 -0400, Tony D <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
>
>>John in Detroit wrote:

>>> THe answer to that depends on the computer.... For example I have
>>> DVArchive running on two computers
>>>
>>> 1: Laptop. 366Mhz, Win-98se Wired lan (or wireless, my choice) Can
>>> not stream and play at the same time (not enough Mhz)
>>>
>>> 2: Mini-Tower... 1.8Ghz win eXtra Painful. Wired lan (no choice)
>>>
>>> Works as you desire, can play as it downloads, has the horsepower.
>>>

>>> It can also stream back to the RTV fast enough for me to watch a show on
>>> it's hard drive on the Television network in the house.
>>>
>>> I think the laptop can do that too.. (can not recall if I tried) however
>>> the laptop is 100% occupied doing it since it transfers a 1 hr low
>>> (standard) quality show in about 58 minutes. Like I said, not enough
>>> Mhz (Mini tower can grab medium quaility in less time)
>>>
>>> Of course when it comes to Remote controls,,, RePlayTV has the world's
>>> greatest
>>>
>>> There is a handy dandy I/R Remote for when I'm in the same room
>>>
>>> And DVArchive's Remote feature for when I'm in the same network (house)
>>>
>>> And if I happen to be "elsewhere" and remember I really wished to record
>>> a show tomorrow.... There is the myreplaytv web site
>>
>>John
>>
>>If you really want PVR heaven, enable the DVArchive web interface. That
>>is so over the top, it's incredible. Gerry Dupree has an incredible
>>program there that probably accounts for more sales than all of DNNA's
>>efforts combined.
>
>It certainly helped sell me on the Replay!

I didn't know about DVA when I got my first 5xxx Replay, but I
probably would not have gotten a second and third 5xxx otherwise.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
Anonymous
October 12, 2004 7:42:56 PM

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 12:02:56 -0500, Mark Lloyd
<mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote:

>On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 09:41:13 -0500, Juan Hung Lo
><ask_me_for_it@I_dont_do_spam_at.all> wrote:

>>>John
>>>
>>>If you really want PVR heaven, enable the DVArchive web interface. That
>>>is so over the top, it's incredible. Gerry Dupree has an incredible
>>>program there that probably accounts for more sales than all of DNNA's
>>>efforts combined.
>>
>>It certainly helped sell me on the Replay!
>
>I didn't know about DVA when I got my first 5xxx Replay, but I
>probably would not have gotten a second and third 5xxx otherwise.

I only knew because I followed you here and started reading before I
made my first purchase. ;>)

--

Any information contained in this post is merely a
restatement of information found in the news archives
of the newsgroups alt.dss.hack, alt.binaries.satellite-tv,
and alt.dbs.echostar.hack found on Google Groups. The person
making this post has no firsthand knowledge of bypassing
satellite security measures.
October 12, 2004 7:47:03 PM

>Gerry Dupree has an incredible
>program there that probably accounts for more sales than all of DNNA's
>efforts combined.

Has DNNA/Sonic Blue/RTV made ANY effort at all?
I have NEVER seen an RTV ad anywhere. The only reason I have mine in the first
place was my wife saw it at COSTCO on sale and thought it looked interesting. I
had never heard of it. Nobody I tell about mine has ever heard of it.
I end up saying it is a Tivo and they have a vague notion about what it does.
Anonymous
October 12, 2004 7:47:04 PM

On 12 Oct 2004 15:47:03 GMT, gfretwell@aol.com (Greg) wrote:

>>Gerry Dupree has an incredible
>>program there that probably accounts for more sales than all of DNNA's
>>efforts combined.
>
>Has DNNA/Sonic Blue/RTV made ANY effort at all?
>I have NEVER seen an RTV ad anywhere. The only reason I have mine in the first
>place was my wife saw it at COSTCO on sale and thought it looked interesting. I
>had never heard of it. Nobody I tell about mine has ever heard of it.
>I end up saying it is a Tivo and they have a vague notion about what it does.

I first found out about Replay over 5 years ago, when I saw a magazine
article comparing Replay to TiVo. Replay looked better. I found even
more advantages after getting one (even though the v1 software was
limited compared to what we have now).

I wanted such a device (for the purpose of being able to control live
TV) for more than 10 years before that, after liking being able to do
the same thing when playing a tape.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
Anonymous
October 12, 2004 8:22:58 PM

Greg wrote:

>>Gerry Dupree has an incredible
>>program there that probably accounts for more sales than all of DNNA's
>>efforts combined.
>

> Has DNNA/Sonic Blue/RTV made ANY effort at all?
> I have NEVER seen an RTV ad anywhere. The only reason I have mine in the first
> place was my wife saw it at COSTCO on sale and thought it looked interesting. I
> had never heard of it. Nobody I tell about mine has ever heard of it.
> I end up saying it is a Tivo and they have a vague notion about what it does.

Replays are usually found in more sophisticated setups and multi-unit
installations. Replay used to advertize extensively in press geared to
this market and on the radio. DNNA is geared completely to this market
and it would be senseless to mass market now that the coming products
are Denon grade and Denon priced.
October 12, 2004 9:33:35 PM

>I wanted such a device (for the purpose of being able to control live
>TV) for more than 10 years before that, after liking being able to do
>the same thing when playing a tape.

I started playing with this stuff in 1975 when I got my first Beta SL7200. A
year later I got a second one. You can almost do the same things with 2 tape
machines. Start #1 recording at the beginning of the show. A discrete interval
later, during a commercial, you start machine 2. Watch 1 skipping commercials
until you get to the end of the tape, then start watching 2 while you rewind
and start recording on 1 again. It is very cumbersome but virtually the same
result as what you have with RTV. You still have the problem of running out of
cached show if you start watching too soon and the tape has the rewind latency
problem. As long as the commercial breaks are long enough it still works.
I basically used tape the same way I use RTV now, just as a time shifter. The
RTV is a lot easier tho.
I still prefer the "express record" features of tape to the RTV manual record
function tho. It is a pain in the ass if you just want an RTV to start
recording what you see right now without going through the guide.
Anonymous
October 12, 2004 9:33:36 PM

On 12 Oct 2004 17:33:35 GMT, gfretwell@aol.com (Greg) wrote:

>>I wanted such a device (for the purpose of being able to control live
>>TV) for more than 10 years before that, after liking being able to do
>>the same thing when playing a tape.
>>

>I started playing with this stuff in 1975 when I got my first Beta SL7200. A
>year later I got a second one. You can almost do the same things with 2 tape
>machines. Start #1 recording at the beginning of the show. A discrete interval
>later, during a commercial, you start machine 2. Watch 1 skipping commercials
>until you get to the end of the tape, then start watching 2 while you rewind
>and start recording on 1 again. It is very cumbersome but virtually the same
>result as what you have with RTV. You still have the problem of running out of
>cached show if you start watching too soon and the tape has the rewind latency
>problem.

The latency is one of the advantages of the Replay. I even use it for
watching tapes.

> As long as the commercial breaks are long enough it still works.
>I basically used tape the same way I use RTV now, just as a time shifter. The
>RTV is a lot easier tho.
>I still prefer the "express record" features of tape to the RTV manual record
>function tho. It is a pain in the ass if you just want an RTV to start
>recording what you see right now without going through the guide.

And now (on the Replay) there's theme channels, where you just specify
the NAME of what you want. You never need to know when shows are
boradcast, or on what channel.

Greg wrote:

> I still prefer the "express record" features of tape to the RTV manual record
> function tho. It is a pain in the ass if you just want an RTV to start
> recording what you see right now without going through the guide.

You don't have to go through the guide.

Just press the Record button twice and it will start recording
using your default settings.
--
Bill Cochell (lose the _TUDE_ to reply directly)
Anonymous

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 12:56:23 -0700, Bill Cochell
<bcochell@po_TUDE_box.com> wrote:

>Greg wrote:
>
>> I still prefer the "express record" features of tape to the RTV manual record
>> function tho. It is a pain in the ass if you just want an RTV to start
>> recording what you see right now without going through the guide.
>
>You don't have to go through the guide.
>
>Just press the Record button twice and it will start recording
>using your default settings.

And stop at the end of the current show. An annoyance when doing a
manual record from an external source.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
Anonymous
October 13, 2004 2:17:37 AM

Tony D wrote:

> If you really want PVR heaven, enable the DVArchive web interface. That
> is so over the top, it's incredible. Gerry Dupree has an incredible
> program there that probably accounts for more sales than all of DNNA's
> efforts combined.

I'm having a bit of a problem there... You see, I'm planing on that soon
as I get everythign working on my Linux box... Problem is I am new to
Linux and do not understand everythign I need to understand to get it up
and running...

And to make it worse... Last attempt resulted in a "Dead server" message
when I tried to d/l Java (That is on Sun's end, not mine)

I really only have one day a week to work on it... That's tomorrow
Anonymous
October 13, 2004 2:22:19 AM

Tony D wrote:

> If you really want PVR heaven, enable the DVArchive web interface. That
> is so over the top, it's incredible. Gerry Dupree has an incredible
> program there that probably accounts for more sales than all of DNNA's
> efforts combined.

Looks (from a later message) like I should have asked you what you mean
by the web interface..... I do use the TV-listings feature of the
DVArchive (So much better than other methods of looking up shows)

There are other web features however I have not activated cause I wish
to do it on the Linx box... When I learn more about Linux
Anonymous
October 13, 2004 2:22:20 AM

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 22:22:19 GMT, John in Detroit
<Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>Tony D wrote:
>
>> If you really want PVR heaven, enable the DVArchive web interface. That
>> is so over the top, it's incredible. Gerry Dupree has an incredible
>> program there that probably accounts for more sales than all of DNNA's
>> efforts combined.
>
>Looks (from a later message) like I should have asked you what you mean
>by the web interface..... I do use the TV-listings feature of the
>DVArchive (So much better than other methods of looking up shows)

DVA can act as a server on your LAN. Any other computer has access to
the guide from DVA and can schedule recordings on any Replay. This
could be made accessible from the internet, but has security
limitations.

I run DVA on a computer called "Mike" and access the guide from
another computer (in the next room) called "Ike". I start my web
browser and enter:

http://192.168.1.12:8080

That's not an internet URL, but limited to my own LAN. 192.168.1.12 is
the local IP of the computer running DVA.

>There are other web features however I have not activated cause I wish
>to do it on the Linx box... When I learn more about Linux

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
October 13, 2004 6:37:17 AM

>>It is a pain in the ass if you just want an RTV to start
>> recording what you see right now without going through the guide.
>
>You don't have to go through the guide.
>
>Just press the Record button twice and it will start recording
>using your default settings.
I misspoke, sorry
By "guide" I was really referring to the menu.
I am talking about when you are coming off of
an A/V input. (like saving a DVD or a cable box that is a secondary input). It
doesn't put up the program guide or even have a clue what you are recording, in
spite of the fact that a guide is loaded for that input as the 1xx channels.
The screen is "manual record" and the default is always to the next hour break.
With a VCR everytime you hit record it bumps out the stop time a 1/2 hour.
Anonymous
October 13, 2004 3:34:18 PM

On 13 Oct 2004 02:37:17 GMT, gfretwell@aol.com (Greg) wrote:

>>>It is a pain in the ass if you just want an RTV to start
>>> recording what you see right now without going through the guide.
>>
>>You don't have to go through the guide.
>>
>>Just press the Record button twice and it will start recording
>>using your default settings.
>I misspoke, sorry
>By "guide" I was really referring to the menu.
>I am talking about when you are coming off of
>an A/V input. (like saving a DVD or a cable box that is a secondary input). It
>doesn't put up the program guide or even have a clue what you are recording, in
>spite of the fact that a guide is loaded for that input as the 1xx channels.
>The screen is "manual record" and the default is always to the next hour break.
>With a VCR everytime you hit record it bumps out the stop time a 1/2 hour.

On most VCRs, that's what happens after the second press. Press the
button once it records as long as you have tape (unless you prsss
'stop' first). THAT would be a useful feature for the Replay
(sometimes you want something simple).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
October 13, 2004 9:47:08 PM

>>With a VCR everytime you hit record it bumps out the stop time a 1/2 hour.
>
>On most VCRs, that's what happens after the second press.

I have wanted that feature on RTV since the first time I used mine. Alas I
suspect the RTV as we know it is done.
I also think the buttons on the front are largely useless.
Anonymous
October 13, 2004 9:47:09 PM

On 13 Oct 2004 17:47:08 GMT, gfretwell@aol.com (Greg) wrote:

>>>With a VCR everytime you hit record it bumps out the stop time a 1/2 hour.
>>
>>On most VCRs, that's what happens after the second press.
>
>I have wanted that feature on RTV since the first time I used mine. Alas I
>suspect the RTV as we know it is done.
>I also think the buttons on the front are largely useless.

The 5xxx Replays have no buttons other than 'power'. This button does
have some uses. It can be used to reset the Replay. It's also useful
for controlling 1 of multiple Replays located near each other (since
they respond to the remote only when 'on').

I like to keep a remote next to the Replays to replace the missing
buttons.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
October 13, 2004 10:09:22 PM

>>>With a VCR everytime you hit record it bumps out the stop time a 1/2
>>>hour.
>>
>>On most VCRs, that's what happens after the second press.
>
> I have wanted that feature on RTV since the first time I used mine.
> Alas I suspect the RTV as we know it is done.
> I also think the buttons on the front are largely useless.

I have two 45xx models and use the front buttons quite often, though I
admit the buttons' response is terrible. But my kids are notorious for
misplacing the remote; how it gets lost in a 10x10 room is beyond me.

I keep a Radio Shack 8 in 1 stashed on top ofthe bookcase, but in a
pinch ( like cancelling system maintenance or a theme show that might
interrupt what else I am doing/watching at the time) lunging for those
front-mounted buttons has been a savior.

Bumping the currently recording show would be nice, but I would love to
easily save the buffer....
Anonymous
October 13, 2004 10:09:23 PM

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 18:09:22 GMT, Steph
<CUT_skipatrol@hotmail.com_CUT> wrote:

>gfretwell@aol.com (Greg) wrote in

>>>On most VCRs, that's what happens after the second press.
>>
>> I have wanted that feature on RTV since the first time I used mine.
>> Alas I suspect the RTV as we know it is done.
>> I also think the buttons on the front are largely useless.
>>

>I have two 45xx models and use the front buttons quite often, though I
>admit the buttons' response is terrible. But my kids are notorious for
>misplacing the remote; how it gets lost in a 10x10 room is beyond me.
>
>I keep a Radio Shack 8 in 1 stashed on top ofthe bookcase, but in a
>pinch ( like cancelling system maintenance or a theme show that might
>interrupt what else I am doing/watching at the time) lunging for those
>front-mounted buttons has been a savior.

Because of that (automatic recordings interrupting current show), I
watch very little live TV now.

One bug I'd like fixed, is when you don't stop the unwanted recording
in time the "jump" button fails to work (return you to what you were
watching before the interruption).

>Bumping the currently recording show would be nice, but I would love to
>easily save the buffer....

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
October 13, 2004 10:23:25 PM

> but I would love to
>easily save the buffer....

Another big "hole" in the software. I have a VCR hooked up to one of the
outputs so I can do it but it is not "easy".
Anonymous
October 15, 2004 2:44:11 PM

Steph wrote:

> I keep a Radio Shack 8 in 1 stashed on top ofthe bookcase, but in a
> pinch ( like cancelling system maintenance or a theme show that might
> interrupt what else I am doing/watching at the time) lunging for those
> front-mounted buttons has been a savior.
>
> Bumping the currently recording show would be nice, but I would love to
> easily save the buffer....

Technology has a solution to your remote problem

You will need
1: Cable and padlock
2: 20 dollar box from PEP boys with a five digit number pad on it's lid
and a few other features (Made by Brinks Security)
2: Batteries included

Procedure... Open box and re-set combination
Chain box to something solid

Put RTV Remote in box and lock lid, do not loose bypass keys or combination

Give kids 8 in 1 to use

Now... Every time you use the RTV remote... Return to box and lock the lid
October 15, 2004 7:57:27 PM

John in Detroit <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote in

> Steph wrote:
>

>> I keep a Radio Shack 8 in 1 stashed on top ofthe bookcase, but in a
>> pinch ( like cancelling system maintenance or a theme show that might
>> interrupt what else I am doing/watching at the time) lunging for
>> those front-mounted buttons has been a savior.
>>
>> Bumping the currently recording show would be nice, but I would love
>> to easily save the buffer....
>
> Technology has a solution to your remote problem
>
> You will need
> 1: Cable and padlock
> 2: 20 dollar box from PEP boys with a five digit number pad on it's
> lid and a few other features (Made by Brinks Security)
> 2: Batteries included
>
> Procedure... Open box and re-set combination
> Chain box to something solid
>
> Put RTV Remote in box and lock lid, do not loose bypass keys or
> combination
>
> Give kids 8 in 1 to use
>
> Now... Every time you use the RTV remote... Return to box and lock the
> lid

Hmm.. I thought on top of a 7 foot cabinet was enough protection.
October 15, 2004 9:41:43 PM

>> Put RTV Remote in box and lock lid, do not loose bypass keys or
>> combination
>>
>> Give kids 8 in 1 to use
>>
>> Now... Every time you use the RTV remote... Return to box and lock the
>> lid
>>

>Hmm.. I thought on top of a 7 foot cabinet was enough protection.

When I had a daughter and a wife living here I kept my remote duct taped to the
arm of my chair. Now my wife has about 4 she can't find and my daughter is 150
miles away ... probably looking for her remote as we speak.
Anonymous
October 16, 2004 12:20:08 AM

Steph wrote:

> Hmm.. I thought on top of a 7 foot cabinet was enough protection.

If there are two things I've learned in life is is that kids, and cats,
will CLIMB
Anonymous
October 16, 2004 12:20:09 AM

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 20:20:08 GMT, John in Detroit
<Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>Steph wrote:
>

>> Hmm.. I thought on top of a 7 foot cabinet was enough protection.
>
>If there are two things I've learned in life is is that kids, and cats,
>will CLIMB

Thinking of cats reminded me of the 30 or so World War I model planes
my father had on a shelf until the dog chased the cat.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
Anonymous
October 16, 2004 1:38:06 AM

Mark Lloyd wrote:

> Thinking of cats reminded me of the 30 or so World War I model planes
> my father had on a shelf until the dog chased the cat.

As I said.... Kids, and Cats, will climb
!