Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Electrostatic Speaker Crossover

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
June 11, 2004 1:43:04 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech (More info?)

Hi,
I have just finished building my first esl pair which sound nice but
as many of you know hasn't got good bass output. So I was thinking of
making it a hybrid system utilising a magnetic driver for producing
the bass. My problem now is the vast difference between the output of
bass driver and esl when fed with the same output signal from amp(big
diff in sensitivity). So I want to equalise that as well. I have heard
a few things about active crossover and bi-amping but would prefer to
do a passive solution at the moment.
Any help appreciated.
Thanks
Manoj
Anonymous
June 11, 2004 11:52:09 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech (More info?)

Manoj wrote:
> Hi,
> I have just finished building my first esl pair which sound nice but
> as many of you know hasn't got good bass output. So I was thinking of
> making it a hybrid system utilising a magnetic driver for producing
> the bass. My problem now is the vast difference between the output of
> bass driver and esl when fed with the same output signal from amp(big
> diff in sensitivity). So I want to equalise that as well. I have heard
> a few things about active crossover and bi-amping but would prefer to
> do a passive solution at the moment.
> Any help appreciated.
> Thanks
> Manoj

It could be possible to damp the esl with series resistors or L-pad, but
I suspect the woofer has the highest sensitivity? Its not a good idea to
put resistors in series with the woofer.

A cheap and good entry-level solution is to get the 110$ Behringer
CX2310 active crossover, and some kind of power amp to drive the woofer,
which dont have to be all that expensive. This solution would probably
be better than any passive crossover.

Regards,
Stig Erik Tangen
Anonymous
June 11, 2004 11:59:31 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech (More info?)

In article <djmyc.7881$RL3.129196@news2.e.nsc.no>,
Stig Erik Tangen <stigerik@newsguy.com> wrote:

>It could be possible to damp the esl with series resistors or L-pad, but
>I suspect the woofer has the highest sensitivity? Its not a good idea to
>put resistors in series with the woofer.

Agreed - wasteful of power, and likely rather expensive.

>A cheap and good entry-level solution is to get the 110$ Behringer
>CX2310 active crossover, and some kind of power amp to drive the woofer,
>which dont have to be all that expensive. This solution would probably
>be better than any passive crossover.

Another option would be to design some sort of shelving-response
high-pass filter, and install it between preamp and amp (or in the
tape-monitor path). The filter's knee frequency would correspond
(roughly) to the driver crossover point, and the amount of
low-frequency cut would correspond roughly to the difference in
sensitivities between the drivers. Could probably be done with one or
two dual op amps, I imagine.

--
Dave Platt <dplatt@radagast.org> AE6EO
Hosting the Jade Warrior home page: http://www.radagast.org/jade-warrior
I do _not_ wish to receive unsolicited commercial email, and I will
boycott any company which has the gall to send me such ads!
Anonymous
February 23, 2010 12:15:02 AM

manoj said:
Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech (More info?)

Hi,
I have just finished building my first esl pair which sound nice but
as many of you know hasn't got good bass output. So I was thinking of
making it a hybrid system utilising a magnetic driver for producing
the bass. My problem now is the vast difference between the output of
bass driver and esl when fed with the same output signal from amp(big
diff in sensitivity). So I want to equalise that as well. I have heard
a few things about active crossover and bi-amping but would prefer to
do a passive solution at the moment.
Any help appreciated.
Thanks
Manoj


hi Manoj.

i just builted a pair ES too. They give me a good sound but i measure the load of my speaker itself. i got only 0.4 ohm out of my speaker. how many ohm do you have on you DIY ES speaker?
please email me at nam.nguyen@bnsf.com

thanks
Nam Nguyen
!