Sign in with
Your question

Recent Hard Crashing Problem...Please Help :(

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 21, 2013 6:26:59 PM

Hello everyone!

As of recent, my computer is starting to crash when I try to play my video game. (SMITE)

The computer will start up and run fine, I'm typing this article from the computer in question. However, after being in the game for a very short period of time, the screen freezes and I get a horrible repeating staticy-clicky sound and I have to manually shut down.

Here's where I get nervous: After shutting down and rebooting, I get absolutely nothing on my display. No motherboard startup screen, nada.

What it takes for me to get my display back is to actually turn off the power supply, wait a few seconds, and turn everything back on.

I have checked the event log to no avail other than critical "Shutdown not expected."

Please help, I'm willing to try anything to fix this! Any theories on what may be causing these crashes?

I'm hoping I don't have failing parts :cry: 

Thanks!!

Edit: Something very strange worth noting, is when I started steam up again on this last restart it gave me the "Hello! We see you are logging in from a new computer!" dialog, requesting that I post a security code from my email in order to allow me to log into this "new computer". :/ 

Edit 2: My computer is using the following:

Win 7 Ultimate
1000W Power Supply
16gb Ram
Radeon 6900
i7-2600k

Edit 3: Sorry for the rapid edits, but I just checked my hardware monitor while opening a game and my CPU temperatures shot up to about 90 degrees, will start looking into this rediculousness
January 21, 2013 7:41:02 PM

roflmywofl said:
Hello everyone!

As of recent, my computer is starting to crash when I try to play my video game. (SMITE)

The computer will start up and run fine, I'm typing this article from the computer in question. However, after being in the game for a very short period of time, the screen freezes and I get a horrible repeating staticy-clicky sound and I have to manually shut down.

Here's where I get nervous: After shutting down and rebooting, I get absolutely nothing on my display. No motherboard startup screen, nada.

What it takes for me to get my display back is to actually turn off the power supply, wait a few seconds, and turn everything back on.

I have checked the event log to no avail other than critical "Shutdown not expected."

Please help, I'm willing to try anything to fix this! Any theories on what may be causing these crashes?

I'm hoping I don't have failing parts :cry: 

Thanks!!

Edit: Something very strange worth noting, is when I started steam up again on this last restart it gave me the "Hello! We see you are logging in from a new computer!" dialog, requesting that I post a security code from my email in order to allow me to log into this "new computer". :/ 

Edit 2: My computer is using the following:

Win 7 Ultimate
1000W Power Supply
16gb Ram
Radeon 6900
i7-2600k

Edit 3: Sorry for the rapid edits, but I just checked my hardware monitor while opening a game and my CPU temperatures shot up to about 90 degrees, will start looking into this rediculousness

By any chance have you over clocked it or used the overdrive function in CCC ? I honestly wouldn't recommend playing SMITE until you find the sole problem and figure out why/what to do about it! Try playing any other game and see if temperatures increase.... if they do try the lowest graphic game you have going... something like an old GTA.... if it still rises then you know the problem is definatly situated within the graphics card or in-out put of it.... I can't see your CPU/RAM effecting any of this.... Don't keep trying to play the game as it sounds like you are toasting your graphics card.... Don't forget when you turn things off heat actually rises... so perhaps turn your computer off then put your hand AROUND the G card don't touch it just feel for any warmth rising.... and proceed from there! also... i know this sounds stupid but check for loose wiring.... my friends G card wasn't in place correctly and it was constantly at 90% fan power/speed...I took it out and pushed it back in and it fixed it bang dead :) 
m
l
!