Sign in with
Your question

Games Crashing after using CCC Over drive.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 21, 2013 7:02:55 PM

I have a Sapphire Radeon HD 7950, and today I decided to use the Overdrive function in the Catalyst Control Center. I brought my gpu clock up to 1150mhz from the default 950mhz, and my memory clock to 1500mhz from the default 1250mhz. After that I started to play some games to see the performance difference. I was playing Crysis 2 for about a minute until my screen turned black, but i could still hear the game running, I tried doing ctrl alt delete but nothing happened, it just stayed black and the game sounds stayed. So i restarted my computer, and i figured it was just the game or something, since i did torrent Crysis 2, So then I instead tried to play my Legit copy of Far Cry 3. The samething happened except instead of a black screen, it was a pale yellow with beige stripes and i could still here the game sounds. This only happened after i used the Over drive function.
January 21, 2013 7:30:59 PM

Ohagandazs said:
I have a Sapphire Radeon HD 7950, and today I decided to use the Overdrive function in the Catalyst Control Center. I brought my gpu clock up to 1150mhz from the default 950mhz, and my memory clock to 1500mhz from the default 1250mhz. After that I started to play some games to see the performance difference. I was playing Crysis 2 for about a minute until my screen turned black, but i could still hear the game running, I tried doing ctrl alt delete but nothing happened, it just stayed black and the game sounds stayed. So i restarted my computer, and i figured it was just the game or something, since i did torrent Crysis 2, So then I instead tried to play my Legit copy of Far Cry 3. The samething happened except instead of a black screen, it was a pale yellow with beige stripes and i could still here the game sounds. This only happened after i used the Over drive function.

I had the exact same thing! I'd play BF3 for about 30 minutes then black screen. Myn went straight to blue screen and I knew it was my G card. If you do the auto tune the CCC overdrive clocks it high....to high for my liking.. Notch it down quite a bit and see how it goes... e.g. myn was on something like 875/1125 rough estimate... then I lowered it.. to sayy 845 or 850 over 1010 etc etc :)  As said above don't fry it!
m
l
Related resources
January 21, 2013 7:35:22 PM

the great randini said:
then the oc is not stable.
maybe you should start out smaller a 10% oc vs 30% and work youre way up so you dont fry it.

here is a good guide http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/radeon-hd-7950-ove...

So like they did there I should do GPU Clock 1000mhz, Mem clock 1750mhz, and then 20% percent power control, and then just see where it takes me?
m
l
January 21, 2013 7:38:13 PM

When you OC, you have to OC a little bit at a time until it has issues, such as artifacts, then back it down a few notches. You never just go to max and hope of the best. It is possible to damage hardware that way.

Also, don't try and adjust the OC on both the core and memory at the same time. Only work with one until you find the sweet spot. If you adjust both at the same time, when you run into artifacts or crashes, you do not know what caused the problem.

Memory is another thing you have to be extra careful on, and likely will require you to use strenuous benchmarks after every adjustment. Since DDR5, memory will auto correct errors, meaning you don't always know when you crossed a line. If you push your memory to its limits and its doing constant error correction, you may lose performance, and the stress that is causing error corrects to be made will damage your memory over time. So as you up the memory, make sure your benchmark scores are going up, if they aren't going up anymore, go back to the last setting that increased performance and drop it several notches to be safe.
m
l
September 2, 2013 1:38:12 PM

I just wanted to weigh in on this, because I don't think anyone has actually made note of what I see as the main point the OP was making. Why is ATI's software failing so hard at it's job? People that are savvy about overclocking are not going to use a "feature" called Auto Tune, and I would hope that AMD realizes that meaning they should be including that feature for the user who wants to play it safe.
From that point of view, I would suggest they blew it.
Has anyone experienced similar results using Auto Tune? (insane choices by the software that end up locking the system)

I am going to try it on my old 5770 and see what happens ... will post back with results soon and I urge others to put up some results also
m
l
September 2, 2013 8:34:15 PM

As promised, posting my results ... I have 2 systems with almost identical Sapphire 5770, both screwed up using the Auto Tune function (Civ 5 1920x1080 High) ... it didn't hang, but the screen was jumpy if anything changed (which is constantly)

ASUS P8Z68-V LX
G620
8GB RAM
Samsung 840
LG E2251

ASUS P6T SE
i7 920
12GB RAM
Samsung 840
LG W2242TQ

Pretty good chance that these Sapphire cards don't have any chance of overclocking even 1%, but that doesn't change the fact that the Auto Tune should figure that out ... what's the point in having it?

my $0.02
m
l
September 2, 2013 9:21:40 PM

Dude that's way too much considering using the AMD Overdrive(which is for amateurs). To reach that margin you need to tweak the voltage levels as well. Use better Overclocking softwares. 1150 MHz over 950 MHz is 21% overclock on GPU and 1500 MHz over 1250 Mhz is yet another 20% overclock on the memory. What you need is sustained voltage level for that quantity of overclock. Also an HD 7950 doesn't offer great overclocking potential by its built. So better stick to the 10% limits.
m
l
September 3, 2013 12:52:08 AM

Yes your OC is unstable.
It is very important to raise the clocks little by little checking stability and temperature each time.
m
l
!