Needs to assign drive letter to new HDD...

inquiring

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2002
Hi....just installed a new WD HDD 40 GB ATA 100 into IDE 4 (second hard drive. Drive C already on IDE 3)of my ABIT KR7A mobo. USe WIN 98. Device manager "sees" the drive but no drive is seen in Explorer and the drive has no drive letter. Cant type in drive letter in settings under device manager properties. How do I assign a drive letter to the new HDD so that I can go to DOS and format the new drive?

Thank you.

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
If your in Windows just goto Start > Run >> type fdisk >>> hit OK >>>> goto option 5 >>>>> select the drive by pressing the position (ie 1, 2 ,3) and hit enter >>>>>> Select option 1 >>>>>>>> then option 1 again. Once that is done format in Windows by right clicking on the drive and selecting format where you see the new drive letter.

<font color=red>People and hard drives are like bandwagon fans and sports!</font color=red>

inquiring

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2002
Thank you-the method worked fine. Is there any way to write a volume label to a hard drive once it has been partitioned and formatted?

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
You would actually have to re-format if you wanted a new volume lable. Or you should also be able to right click the drive letter and select "rename" or "properties". I have that option in Windows XP, but not sure if it's available in the other earlier Windows operating systems.

<font color=red>People and hard drives are like bandwagon fans and sports!</font color=red>

TRENDING THREADS